Latest On Greg Bird

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
exile in Tiger country

Re: Latest On Greg Bird

Post by exile in Tiger country »

cherrywarrior wrote:How many more Aussies with problems do we need in an already lacking Wigan side! I also dont see why anyone would want him when he is up in court for domestic violence...
Bryan Fletcher was fined by his previous club for racially abusing a team mate, doesn't mean somone can't play rugby.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Isn't Greg Bird waiting trial in Australia for assaulting his girlfriend?, surely he won't be allowed to leave until after the trial presuming he doesn't get sent to jail.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherrywarrior wrote:How many more Aussies with problems do we need in an already lacking Wigan side! I also dont see why anyone would want him when he is up in court for domestic violence...
So do you think we should have signed Tim Smith, another Aussie problem child?

Or is Tim Smith the lesser of two evils?

Dave

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I am not condoning his actions BUT if we disregardplayers for such incidents then why did we ever sign Ellery Hanley, why did we retain Joe Lydon? why did we retain Feka? No doubt there are many more.
So do you think they should all have been sacked or never signed because of their actions? (You might spot a theme developing here in the last post and this).

Dave

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Greg Bird, the former Australia stand-off who has been linked with Hull since he was suspended by the Cronulla Sharks last August following an off-field incident, now seems most likely to join Wigan. Bird and his agent have both denied a report that the Sharks have already agreed a severance package for him to come to England but he is still expected to play in the Super League next year, with Australian reports suggesting that Warrington and Wigan are both interested.

The Warrington chief executive, Andy Gatcliffe, again rubbished those reports yesterday, insisting that the Wolves have no room under the salary cap. Neither do Wigan at the moment but Bird would be an obvious replacement for the Australian half-back Tim Smith, who is rumoured not to be returning to the JJB Stadium. Perhaps significantly, Smith has been allowed to stay in Queensland until the new year.
Is Smith coming back as some state on here or is greg bird going to be his replacement?

http://www.scenta.co.uk/sport/news/cit/ ... at-rfl.htm
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

IF he is a waiting trial I doubt he would get a work permit. Also if he is found guilty he probably will not get one also.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

pedro wrote:IF he is a waiting trial I doubt he would get a work permit. Also if he is found guilty he probably will not get one also.
Was under the impression that the "trial" had been dropped, and that he was facing some "lesser" charge! :doz:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Greg Bird, the former Australia stand-off who has been linked with Hull since he was suspended by the Cronulla Sharks last August following an off-field incident, now seems most likely to join Wigan. Bird and his agent have both denied a report that the Sharks have already agreed a severance package for him to come to England but he is still expected to play in the Super League next year, with Australian reports suggesting that Warrington and Wigan are both interested.

The Warrington chief executive, Andy Gatcliffe, again rubbished those reports yesterday, insisting that the Wolves have no room under the salary cap. Neither do Wigan at the moment but Bird would be an obvious replacement for the Australian half-back Tim Smith, who is rumoured not to be returning to the JJB Stadium. Perhaps significantly, Smith has been allowed to stay in Queensland until the new year.
Is Smith coming back as some state on here or is greg bird going to be his replacement?

http://www.scenta.co.uk/sport/news/cit/ ... at-rfl.htm

smith is due back on the 28th with tommy.. if they do sign greg bird he'l be replacing another aussie! by that i dont mean amos roberts!! im sure you can work out who it would be yourself! :wink:
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

birds girlfriend wouldn't say if he was or was not guilty and wouldn't make a statement so the police didnt have nothing thats why there is no court case. and wire can surely not afford another top aussie.we on the other hand have just lost one so it looks like we are his only option?

if we do sign him he is a 6/13 so if sicknote lockers gets injured this could see sam t move in? even play lockers in second row?
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

From Fox News:
He (Greg Bird) is due to face court in April on charges of reckless wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two charges of lying to police.