Ainscough & Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

Re: Ainscough & Tompkins

Post by turf »

Oh right. Yes, it should be the more experienced guys leading the kids, because the kids, i.e, Ainscough are still learning the game and are still settling into the side.
Webby1971

Post by Webby1971 »

I fully agree and wasn't sure how this thread would be received as I stated. I'm fully behind these young lads and wouldnt like to dent their confidence, just thought people were getting carried away with his attack and ignoring his defensive skills. But he's 19, new to the 1st team and will improve, I'm sure of this.
turf

Post by turf »

Webby1971 wrote:I fully agree and wasn't sure how this thread would be received as I stated. I'm fully behind these young lads and wouldnt like to dent their confidence, just thought people were getting carried away with his attack and ignoring his defensive skills. But he's 19, new to the 1st team and will improve, I'm sure of this.
The bit in bold is exactly my point Webby1971. Also, he is a quick and keen learner as well, and he is enthusiastic as well.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

are you mad Webby, Ainscough has made inexperienced errors which could be solved if the coach taught him how to stamp them out which he obviously hasnt and for Tomkins i cannot remeber the last time i saw so many tackles from a stand off especialy in the Catalans match he made two one on one tackles in 2 attemps - i expect them to make the occasionly error but when O'loghlin is giving away penaltys in the first minute and the match is full of knck ons and forward passes i am willing to let them off.

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

They are bound to make mistakes as they are both on a learning curve personally i would put up with this they have both brought a fresh impetus into the team.It is up to the coaching staff to iron out the mistakes.
turf

Post by turf »

jaws1 wrote:They are bound to make mistakes as they are both on a learning curve personally i would put up with this they have both brought a fresh impetus into the team.It is up to the coaching staff to iron out the mistakes.
What a cracking point in bold there jaws1. :eusa2:

It is also up to Radders to sort out. As I have said on numerous threads all ready, it won't take long for Ainscough to learn/pick things up because he looks intelligent when he's on the field of play, he looks, quick, enthusiastic, and keen to learn.

I think Noble said it a couple of weeks back, Ainscough is improving all the time with every training session he is in, and every game he plays in.
RJ

Post by RJ »

jaws1 wrote:They are bound to make mistakes as they are both on a learning curve personally i would put up with this they have both brought a fresh impetus into the team.It is up to the coaching staff to iron out the mistakes.

Spot on! We could do with more of their enthusiasm and less of the apparent lethargy which runs through some of the team.
turf

Post by turf »

RJ wrote: Spot on! We could do with more of their enthusiasm and less of the apparent lethargy which runs through some of the team.
What a cracking point in bold there RJ :eusa2:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Excellent post Webby and bags of truth in it. I made similar posts I guess before Ainscough was selected and soon after. In a sense I will add to what Eclipse said.

Young players do not progress as they should at Wigan RLFC.

Shaun Ainscough.

Every weakness he has now, he had when he signed as a 16 year old and not a thing was done or has been done.

Firstly he is a right winger not a left winger. People may say that should not make a difference but it does to a certain extent. His scooting is certainly hampered by it.

Secondly. He was left far far too long in the Academy Team. Until the very end of last season he had spent virtually the whole of his Wigan career in the academy team. Now if people think reserves does not prepare players for SL, imagine Academy RL. His break came when he got selected for England v Aus. He played in the second game and had a brilliant game. Liam Farrell was also excellent. He came back and based on that single game in Aus, somebody somewhere at Wigan after leaving him in the academy for 2 possibly 3 years decided he was suddenly good enough for reserve RL.

Every weakness you see has been there for 3 years. Fielding kicks? Wigan lost a great Academy Derby when he failed to deal with a kick. Defensively, being keen he overreads in defence, Riley from Warrington gave him the run around because he did so in a reserve match when chasing kicks.

He's actually improved and is making rapid progress now that he is in SL. He has no choice. Being a big headed know it all I send him advice periodically. Whether he reads it who knows / cares but I said before Saints it was vital he stuck with his winger when playing v Gidley. He did that superbly IMO. He was not to blame when Gidley scored BTW. I was shocked Saints did not target him with kicks. Ultimately his strength far outweigh his weaknesses and those can be worked on with some coaching.

I also contacted Mick Hogan to say the club should really work on his literacy skills. I believe clubs should develop players both as players and as people.

Sam Tomkins.

He works non stop with extras developing his skill levels. Like many youngsters having seen him playing in schoolyards his talent etc was/is superb. Joel / Liam Farrell are both great rugby players.

If Sam had his way he would be buzzing around the ball non stop but you have to appreciate for whatever reason that is not the Noble way. Both half backs go from tackle 1 out wide and next to their centre. That leaves them virtually with 1 play, feed the centre.

Worse, Sam is far far better on the left side. If you recall his break v Quins when he came on as sub it was playing left side. Again yes he can play both sides but he's far better / comfortable on the left. He scored what 30 odd tries last season and I bet 20+ were on the left stepping back inside. It was his party piece. His other party piece was the chip kick / grubber and collect from 30-50 yards out. Have you noticed how all the things that made poeople sit up an take notice tend to get coached out of players the higher they climb.

I have to say defensively he has done far better than I envisaged.

Do players look better or worse at Wigan or at a new club?

Here is an example of how stupid Wigan RLFC is. Remember last season Joel Tomkins scored afew tries from grubbers put through for him by Tim Smith at the time. Tim does not really matter. The way Joel runs at the line, flat makes that grubber work perfectly. Come this season what happened? A move that worked regularly has been dispensed with. Now from where I am watching Wigan RLFC do not have enough scoring moves to throw away the few they actually have.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Daryl Goulding was enthusiastic and buzzing when he first came in, wonder what happened? I think players are scorned for being so, Ainscough celebrating tries has been dampened down considerably. Why?

Ian Thornley could have made a real difference today compared to Karl Pryce. If coaches want to cry about 2 games over Easter? Ben Davies, Liam Farrell, Mark Flannagan all 3 would have ran until they had nothing more to give given the chance. Coaches cry but they are their own worst enemy.