Station Road Swinton

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Station Road Swinton

Post by cpwigan »

robjoenz wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
pedro wrote:Had the largest posts in the league also...now at Eccles RL cans ee them from the M60
You may not be able to any more Pedro. They were vandalised this season. Hopefully restored though.
They had sticks there a couple of months when I visited Eccles.

AandL, I know a man who knows absolutely everything there is to know about Swinton and Station Road. Is there anything particular you want to know?
Is his surname Wild? Rob
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan wrote:
robjoenz wrote:
cpwigan wrote: You may not be able to any more Pedro. They were vandalised this season. Hopefully restored though.
They had sticks there a couple of months when I visited Eccles.

AandL, I know a man who knows absolutely everything there is to know about Swinton and Station Road. Is there anything particular you want to know?
Is his surname Wild? Rob
No, he's a Johnson.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Just intrigued about the stadium tbh can only find 2 or 3 pictures of it for the capacity it was. Why not look into the past?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

ancientnloyal wrote:Image

found this. im just intrigued thats all about it, housing estate is now where it used to be.
Bloody hell, is there nothing that we can't beat Australia at, even their cheerleaders are better than ours.

On the other hand, maybe they were trying to start one of the first Mexican waves ever seen at a sporting event. Or possibly auditioning for a role in the Village People, The Musical. Altogether now YMCA.

Sorry, I know I've gone off on a tangent, the picture just tickled me. :)

eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

thinking now about the teams who used to have a stadium to themselves and when they left they are playing in worse stadiums with 300+ crowds like...
swinton- station road
oldham- watersheddings
halifax thrum hall

cant think of anymore but i know there is a few more.
IN WANE WE TRUST
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I liked Thrum Hall, especially a particularly white and cold afternoon in the cup...

Watching Boots n All I found it eerie looking at Wilderspool (wire use for training) imagine if we used Central Park as a training venue, would be great.

Parkside, Hunslet (i know you have to go back decades for decent crowds)

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I can remember going watching Wigan here but for the life of me can't remember the year. Anyone know the last time Wigan played at Station Road?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

87-88?

just googled that year and they got relegated i dont think they came back up after that.

unless a cup game (edwards?)

*edit 91-92 with a bit more digging on google.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The 10 try Edwards was at Gigg Lane IIRC but as A&L says we played them in the cup after they got relegated at Station Road. In the days I watched us v Swinton, Danny Wilson (Ryan Gigg's Father) and Les Holiday were always very impressive. I think Green Vigo also played for them and against us after moving on from Wigan.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Station Road, Swinton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Station Road was a stadium in Swinton (actually in Pendlebury), near Manchester. England. It was the home of Swinton Rugby League Club between 1929 - 1992 and was widely recognised as one of the finest grounds in the Rugby League.

Swinton moved to Station Road when they were at their peak, having won all four major trophies the previous season. The decision to purchase the land, which stood alongside the railway line and Swinton railway station, was made after a breakdown in negotiations with their existing landlord at their Chorley Road ground, their home since 1887.

In its heyday it boasted a capacity of 60,000, although with a record attendance of 44,621 for a Challenge Cup semi-final in 1951 this was never really tested. All in all 19 internationals (including 15 test matches), 5 Championship finals, 17 Lancashire Cup finals, 4 Premiership finals and 30 Rugby League Challenge Cup semi-finals were played at the ground.

Station Road was sold at the end of the 1991-92 season by the club's directors to David McLean Homes for property development part of the deal involved sponsoring the Lions in their first season post Station Road. The site is now a housing estate.

Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White