Amos Roberts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Amos Roberts

Post by GeoffN »

Shevi 4 life wrote:i understand this, but imo some of the things he has done have been good for us, from what the aussies were saying, he is best in space, the only match he has been in "space" coincidently has been his best match for us. He might not look the best offensive option for us when we are close to the line.
Any winger is good in space, the good ones make their own space, which is what Ainscough is so good at.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Because he's crap and we've got him for another 3 years. He's a liability under a high ball with any kind of pressure put on him any club with a decent kicking game know exactly who to kick it to if they want to score, total liability with no positional sense and no obvious drive or commitment. Your point about gelling in the team is the biggest load of crap, it doesn't matter one bit who else is on the team if you are unable to catch a ball in the corner under pressure. The point is he is worse than Liam Colbon who we got rid of. Are you related to Amos by any chance? He should have been dropped after the Saints game and been nowhere near a cup semi final even for the reserves. He has made far more mistakes at crucial times than Ainscough ever had and he's not exactly blowing us all away with his try scoring ability. So come on then, instead of making excuses such as a former NRL player who was highly rated once until he was released needs virtually a full season without even showing any signs of 'gelling', tell us what this joker is actually good at, what he offers that Colbon didn't and why our top try scorer got dropped but he doesnt. With the exception of Bradford with Platt I am unable to think of any other team with such a blatantly exploitable weak link.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin wrote:Because he's crap and we've got him for another 3 years. He's a liability under a high ball with any kind of pressure put on him any club with a decent kicking game know exactly who to kick it to if they want to score, total liability with no positional sense and no obvious drive or commitment. Your point about gelling in the team is the biggest load of crap, it doesn't matter one bit who else is on the team if you are unable to catch a ball in the corner under pressure. The point is he is worse than Liam Colbon who we got rid of. Are you related to Amos by any chance? He should have been dropped after the Saints game and been nowhere near a cup semi final even for the reserves. He has made far more mistakes at crucial times than Ainscough ever had and he's not exactly blowing us all away with his try scoring ability. So come on then, instead of making excuses such as a former NRL player who was highly rated once until he was released needs virtually a full season without even showing any signs of 'gelling', tell us what this joker is actually good at, what he offers that Colbon didn't and why our top try scorer got dropped but he doesnt. With the exception of Bradford with Platt I am unable to think of any other team with such a blatantly exploitable weak link.

I agree with most of that...but Huddersfield exploited Wellens's lack of pace quite nicely yesterday...
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Haha yes but you'd rather have Wellens in your side than Roberts would you not? :lol:
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin wrote:Haha yes but you'd rather have Wellens in your side than Roberts would you not? :lol:
True.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Shevi 4 life wrote:
How many tries has Roberts scored and how many has Ainscough scored?
Their not really at St Helens are they?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

We all got on Pat's back when he first came and in his first season, I think we should lay off and give Amos a chance to settle.
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Was Gleeson that much better than Roberts on Saturday?

Mathers is not far behind in the "expoitable weak link" department and whilst he may have got a hat-trick on Sunday, Meli is no stranger to dropping high kicks.

BTW - watching slug wellens getting beaten by a loose forward when he had a ten metre head start was hilarious!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
ellery 4 coach

Post by ellery 4 coach »

leeh2101 wrote:the problem is with some fans they seem to think that the new player will come in and gel with the team instantlty and unfortunatlety this rarley happens, pat richards, matt king, for example have taken at least a season to start to show there form, and we stuck with richards and for me is now one of our key players, even though amos has made some stupid decisions recently i mean the grubber in our own 25 against stains was baffling
yeh barret carmont where really crap for the first 10 minutes of there debut
ellery 4 coach

Post by ellery 4 coach »

cherrywarrior wrote:We all got on Pat's back when he first came and in his first season, I think we should lay off and give Amos a chance to settle.
pat didnt start playing for us till we tried to offload him to wakefield, i dont go for this give him aseason to settle in, if you went working for another company would they give you 12 months to settle in, gareth ellis has gone to aus and settled in after a couple of games