Training

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
slimshady

Re: Training

Post by slimshady »

fred_flintstone wrote:
warrior1973 wrote:I had an interesting chat the other day with a mate that Shaun Wane had been in touch with. This mate of mine has his own plastering bussiness and Wane's asked him if he'd take some of the accadamy players for work experience. He wants them to experience real work and find out what its like to do a hard days graft as they've never done anything but play rugby since leaving school. Not really sure what benefits there are in this, but im sure it'll give the accadamy lads a different outlook on life and make them realise how lucky they are being a professional sportsman.....and my mate should get loads of free tickets!!!
Something Saints have been doing for a number of years.
Correct, Chris Joynt worked as a plasterer before going full time pro and I know that he always appreciated how lucky he was to be a pro sportsman when Ive discussed it with him. He said to a certain extent it kept his feet firmly on the ground, he said it was good in lots of ways with his workmates taking the mick out of him and the fact that if he didnt make it that he would be doing a dirty ,physical job till he retired which was a great incentive to work hard at his Rugby. Also they may not get that superstar attitude thinkin they've made it!
UnsungPanapa

Post by UnsungPanapa »

I think it would be harsh to say Wigan don't prepare the young players for life outside rugby they have an excellent scholarship system that concentrates on both their academic and athletic ability, there are many reasons in my view why some of our players fall short when breaking through and should be opened up as a new topic, but the fact that they are not "in the real world" and therefore should see it, in my view is completly bogus.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

medlocke wrote:gerrum up Parbold hill
You sadist medlock! :D Don't forget the poor darlings have been used to light duties until now.Bring on 2010. :D
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

KOOCH wrote:
medlocke wrote:gerrum up Parbold hill
You sadist medlock! :D Don't forget the poor darlings have been used to light duties until now.Bring on 2010. :D
Get um running up and down the big steps up Rivington, thats what I say! :D
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

UnsungPanapa wrote:Not sure what training hours the old regime had the players on, but i do know that the players have all been sent letters regarding pre season start dates and times and they will now train everyday from 10am until 4pm which apparently is a big change from what they are familiar with and have done in the past. Looks like SW is as good as his word and they will train longer and harder than before, good or bad what ya think?
Good! I hope they abandon the annual Lanzarote party, too - "warm-weather training" for a February start always seemed a bit strange, even without the alleged antics that went on there.
luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

i'm pretty sure they never trained in afternoons, because you were always seeing sam, joel, paul prescott, mick mcillorum and a few others in starbucks about 1pm nearly every day.
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

My only concern would be the need for bodies to rest at some point. We don't want to start the season with twisted joints, strained ligaments and pulled muscles.
The season is too long as it is, EVERYONE needs a rest, top sportsmen, especially in the toughest game played, possibly even more so.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

slimshady wrote:
fred_flintstone wrote:
warrior1973 wrote:I had an interesting chat the other day with a mate that Shaun Wane had been in touch with. This mate of mine has his own plastering bussiness and Wane's asked him if he'd take some of the accadamy players for work experience. He wants them to experience real work and find out what its like to do a hard days graft as they've never done anything but play rugby since leaving school. Not really sure what benefits there are in this, but im sure it'll give the accadamy lads a different outlook on life and make them realise how lucky they are being a professional sportsman.....and my mate should get loads of free tickets!!!
Something Saints have been doing for a number of years.
Correct, Chris Joynt worked as a plasterer before going full time pro and I know that he always appreciated how lucky he was to be a pro sportsman when Ive discussed it with him. He said to a certain extent it kept his feet firmly on the ground, he said it was good in lots of ways with his workmates taking the mick out of him and the fact that if he didnt make it that he would be doing a dirty ,physical job till he retired which was a great incentive to work hard at his Rugby. Also they may not get that superstar attitude thinkin they've made it!
Bob-on here SS.

A hard physical job or mind-numbing drone work can work motivational miracles. Putting red-hot lids on the loaves of bread at Rathbones bread factory for years kept me studying hard :o
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It's a very good idea in my opinion. When I was a student I had a summer job at Turner Bros (as was) in Hindley Green working in the fibre glass plant as a labourer. Did all the dirty jobs to get "condition" and "dirt" money and as I wasn't eligible to pay tax I was well off but it certainly taught me I needed to do well with my degree to get a job that didn't require that sort of work to make a living for all my working life.

I also worked in London between my 2nd & 3rd year and boy did I make the most of my final year both academically and for all the other reason you go to uni :wink:

It won't do the lads any harm to learn how lucky they are and I think this will help get the attitude right Rads reckons got lost. He goes on about how young players attitudes are different than when he joined the team and this sort of thing Wane is proposing will help them keep their feet on the ground.

Dave
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree DaveO its something that can only do them or anyone else some good to be honest. When i finished uni i got a job digging roads basically while i looked for a job in I.T. Now im quite succesful i appreciate it more for the 12months labour i did, when i hear some of my work colleagues moaning about the air con not working properly it makes me cringe, it could be a lot worse like digging for 6 hours solid in the pouring rain! :), great experience though wouldn't change it for the world!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure