Thread Blocking is wrong!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Thread Blocking is wrong!

Post by DaveO »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote: But i read daily and as far as i know i'm free to do so. And therefore am entitled to give my opinion that a thread is boring or repetitive in terms of it being discussed in another existing thread
But why do you feel the need to do so? And why do you think its your right? Just because you think a thread is boring does not mean the people contributing do.

There are often threads on here or rlfans I have no interest in so are I suppose boring to me but I don't jump in and say so. Why would I? Just because I find some topics of no interest doesn't mean I should tell people off for being boring!

Every now and again there are also other comments posted in threads about a poster as opposed to the subject in a similar vein (not suggesting you post such comments).

I rarely delete a post or lock a thread but I am starting to think such comments ought to be deleted so people can discuss the topic for as long as they want without having to defend their right to do so.

Dave

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

CAN I PROPOSE A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO WIGAN WATCHER FOR HAVING THE COJONES TO RAISE THIS TOPIC!!

I wanted to do it myself but I have already had several yellow cards from the tinpot dictators masquerading as Moderators!

I started a thread stating that Martin Offiah would not have made it into my top 5 Wigan wingers and was told by CPW in open forum that I had come close to bringing the forum into disrepute. The fact that he had publicly denegrated fellow posters (Highland Convert, Josie Andrews and Mike Binder) seemed lost on him!

In criticising DaveO and his treatment of posters, I called him patronising and condescending. That resulted in PMs threatenening to remove me from the forum for insulting behaviour. I have since made a log of the number of posts he has made which I consider to be far more insulting than anything I ever posted. Then again, I am not a mod!!

As for gpartlin, he is just a patsy! I am confident that he did not lock those threads on his own initiative but has been dictated to by the above puppeteers, who seem to have been conspicuously quiet for the last few days!

This forum is starting to stink to High Heaven!!

Once again, Well spoken Wigan Watcher. Chances are you won't see me on here again if the Politburo have their way!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Fact is when you're a mod you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. If you delete individual posts as DaveO suggests you end up with people thinking they are being targeted. There's no bugger else around most of the time to moderate anything and I have used my judgment based on the limited time I have to try to ensure that the site once again becomes a welcoming place where threads are relevant and not repetitive. SUre, I could have deleted the this is boring posts and perhaps merged the comments about Fielden from the existing thread into the new thread but its not as if I get paid for doing this (nor want to be) I just genuinely want the site to return to where it was. So until Mike chooses to criticise my style I'll carry on doing the little bit here and there to ensure this forum doesn't become like RLFans where personal insults, cliques and point-scoring are more prominent than actual debate or discussion about our club, and people are too worried to post anything in case it offends one of the regulars and they find themselves backed into a corner by 5 or 6 clique members.

KW, I have not once criticised your Martin Offiah thread, and can guarantee that at no time have I done anything on this site under pressure from any 'puppeteers' as you put it.

The bitching and name calling on here merely highlights the need for some kind of moderation because if left unchecked it will kill the site very quickly.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:CAN I PROPOSE A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO WIGAN WATCHER FOR HAVING THE COJONES TO RAISE THIS TOPIC!!

I wanted to do it myself but I have already had several yellow cards from the tinpot dictators masquerading as Moderators!

In criticising DaveO and his treatment of posters, I called him patronising and condescending. That resulted in PMs threatenening to remove me from the forum for insulting behaviour.
Did you actually read this comment in my previous post?

"Every now and again there are also other comments posted in threads about a poster as opposed to the subject in a similar vein (not suggesting you post such comments)."

The reason you got the PM's was because you did just that. If you were on rlfans you would just have been banned outright. The fact you are still here and able to post despite your comments seems lost on you.

The other reason you got them was because unlike you I won't clutter the forum up with my personal opinions of posters.

Which is why I also said in the PM's if you have an issue with me send a PM rather than post personal comments in forums.
I have since made a log of the number of posts he has made which I consider to be far more insulting than anything I ever posted. Then again, I am not a mod!!
Send me the log.
As for gpartlin, he is just a patsy! I am confident that he did not lock those threads on his own initiative but has been dictated to by the above puppeteers, who seem to have been conspicuously quiet for the last few days!

This forum is starting to stink to High Heaven!!

Once again, Well spoken Wigan Watcher. Chances are you won't see me on here again if the Politburo have their way!
Well give someone enough rope....

Then again if it stinks that much feel free to leave.

I won't ban you, though I think I have plenty of justification for doing so (and I don't mean comments about myself either).

It's far better to let you carry on showing your true character though I suppose indulging myself on that score is not putting the forums best interests foremost.

Dave
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

:lol:

once again.

it was my opinion that the thread was pointless. something others agreed with (yet i get the brunt). i didn't ask for it blocked. i simply gave my opinion. something you can't do on here....

CP did the right thing

pathetic the lot of u.
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I see no issue in blocking threads that are starting to degenerate into a slanging match, liable to cause offence or as per the SF thread a boring repetition on the same old he's crap type thread. By the way, the request to block the Fielden one came from another site member, so was blocked as a request, not just for the sake of it.
Mike set up a merge option to put similar threads into one post, put people whinge if they get merged.
If we delete threads that are totally out of order, people whinge

Would you rather this site had no moderators and was just left to degenrate into a free for all?

I'll continue to block / delete threads if I beleive it is the right thing to do, but not if it just a case of I don't agree with what someone is saying.

Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

That kind of response is the reason you will always require administrators.Responses that degenerate the thread into a tit4tat arguement.Control of this forum is
always needed.By the number of posts from Warrior49 you have got a lot of growing up to do.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

warrior49 wrote:Thread blocking is wrong!

But I think this site does require a certain level of maintenance by the plumbing department.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I would have said that instead of blocking threads, they should create an archive site or even a link on this site for all items pre last season'
All the posts are already "archived" here, going back to Dec 2000...I don't quite understand what you mean here. I don't see what value a separate archive site would have.

if of course the site had any real intention of improving itself it should think more clearly about offending decent members who post there threads with the best of intentions.

Occassional auditing by thos who run this site should easily eliminate recurring offenders who in my view would receive a message detailing why the thread was withdrawn.

I see the site as a forum for all fans Wigan Rugby
League..Warriors 4 life
As do I, and all the other mods. If I'd seen the Fielden thread early enough, I'd probably have merged it, rather than blocking, but that's just my personal opinion. I do tend to be a bit more lax during the off season, when there aren't as many posts to keep tidy, though.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

warrior49 wrote:And I suppose that responses such as yours are the norm?
I believe it is you who should shut up nevermind me grow up.....how childish of you...get a life it is a forum not your personal domain...
No, it's Mike's personal domain, and we just follow his guidelines to try and keep it the way he wants it.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

warrior49 wrote:Dear Geoff
Please accept my apologies.
My last remarks were aimed at Platt Warrior.
LOL! No worries! :D