Amos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Amos

Post by ancientnloyal »

the_cow wrote:As has been touched on by others in the Wire friendly thread, I thought Amos looked very sharp and very quick against Wire.

Could he 'do a Richards' and have a great second season?

I did find it very amusing when Gleeson threw out that pass in the second half only to find Amos in the middle of the pitch.
My thoughts exactly, there have been a few players who have started slow in England only to hit their aussie form in year 2. Just hope Ainscough improves his defence and challenge Amos for that starting position, it will be healthy as a squad.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Agree AnL hope Amos improves his kick defence too, he has been a liability at times in a similar way to Ainscough but without the obvious tryscoring ability.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

maybe with the setup we had with noble and his conditioning thats maybe wh we missed out on some good players? now with the new structure we can attract the better end of the players
THE HAPPY SNAPPER

Post by THE HAPPY SNAPPER »

shawxshark wrote:maybe with the setup we had with noble and his conditioning thats maybe wh we missed out on some good players? now with the new structure we can attract the better end of the players

That's one line of thought, I'm more interested in seeing if we see any major improvement in some players who, quite frankly, have looked well under conditioned for previous seasons, some players may perform more like new signings and up their game due to the better conditioning :)

BARROW WARRIOR
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

Mike wrote:I think he saw a player outside him, but it was Lockers trotting off after being subbed :D
LOL.....
Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote:Just hope Ainscough improves his defence and challenge Amos for that starting position, it will be healthy as a squad.
I just hope Amos improves his defence as well. It was as bad if not worse at times than anything Ainscough did last season and I do get fed up of Ainscough's defence being brought up in isolation time and again when Amos was no better.

With that off my chest I also hope what I have read about Amos being sharp both on here and on rlfans is correct. We troubled no team for pace last season in our wingers and centres and Amos failed to back himself on numerous occasions. If he has been conditioned right and has gained the confidence to do so he may well turn into the "flying winger" IL wanted to sign. If he does the entertainment factor at the DW will be increased and that is a good thing.

Dave

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Amos looked far sharper v Warrington than he ever did last season Dave. He reminded me of the Amos who played in the NRL and for his try he finished it off by beasting his opposition winger. Looking good.

The whole squad look good but the key will be can the front row stand up and be counted.

Lockers looked class v Wire
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We scored more tries than any other team in SL from inside our own half last year, so we have plenty of latent pace in the tem already. If we can improve on that we'll have more fireworks than a chinese wedding.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:We scored more tries than any other team in SL from inside our own half last year, so we have plenty of latent pace in the tem already. If we can improve on that we'll have more fireworks than a chinese wedding.
Our own half ends 50m down the pitch so I am not sure this statistic is any indicator of pace. We could have scored plenty of tries from around half way where pace isn't what got us over the try line.

We rarely took players on for pace if facing a one on one.
I didn't imagine Roberts having space outside but choosing to come inside and take a tackle rather than back himself on several occasions.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree. It is also reflective of teams not getting out of their own half so having to play in it more than a good team would.

V Warrington, Amos saved a certain try when Wire broke clean through and he got between the player breaking and his opposite number to intercept the pass. On another occasion Wire were close to our line and he came in to tackle the Wire player, killed the try but the player released the ball inside and as Wire fannied about Roberts was up making a second tackle.

He looked far sharper and stronger IMO.

The biggest failing v Wire was kicking and with Tommy and Sam we had several kicks blocked almost intercepted. It changed when Deacon came on.

Kicking and the front row are the two biggest areas for improvement.