Playing for Contracts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Playing for Contracts

Post by DaveO »

Matthew wrote: As popular as Phelps is; Fielden's departure will mean we have a lot more money available for next year and fullback is an obvious position for us to move for a big name signing - so if Phelps has a shaky year under the bomb; then he could be on his way.
Phelps is also a quota player and I am pretty sure our quota players are Phelps, Bailey, Riddell, Roberts and Feka. I am not sure about Feka but I don't think he is none quota like Carmont (Carmont has a Samoan passport) but he (Feka) is on an NZ passport so counts as quota.

With Riddell and Roberts contracted for 2011 then if we want to make any big overseas signings then one or more of Phepls, Baily and Feka would have to make way.

I can't see us getting rid of Feka. He is a crowd pleaser never mind if he is rated as a player. If the new fitness regime means a good season from him he will IMO be offered a new deal.

So that leaves Phelps and Bailey and so it's odds on they will both leave IMO. My reasoning is if we want to sign really class players they are going to have to come from overseas because I just can't see any top class British players being available.

With money available these two are also not really good enough to use a quota spot up because lets not forget Phelps was signed when we were stuck for cap space so one of his major attributes was being cheap. Bailey is now in the same boat - reduced contract means he can fit under our current cap.

If the Crusaders survive I could see the pair of them there in 2011, provided IL is serous about signing top class overseas players to compliment a core of Wigan produced talent.

Dave

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Great we've not even played a SL match yet and we are talking about who should go and who will have a bad season :eusa18:
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Feka is Samoan at the moment.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Time will tell, but I think we will ned a good 1, good prop and good 7 and will find Pryce, Phelps, Bailey, Fielden and possibly Coley and/or Goulding surplus to requirements. Mossop will need more money (plus we will have Hock to pay for half a year I assume).
Some random thoughts on replacements - there is an Englishman called Widdop playing Melbourne reserves who is a young and reputedly brilliant full back. MM will know his game inside out. Ratchford and Tomkins would work well and give us another Wiganer in the squad (though i could see Deacs going so well we keep him). We have looked at Carl Webb in the past. On his day he would far better than anything we currently have...
One of the good things is that we should be able to remedy our conspicuous weak spots - 1, 7 (post Deacs unless Joe Mellor rapidly steps up) and 8, while retaining our considerable strengths.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

There will be no shortage of clubs wanting Mossop and I agree with Straw he should be one of our priorities.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Josh Vievers gives his all but I hasve my doubts and would really like to see Stefan Marsh given some opportubities at full back.

By all accounts Wigan U16 have some fabulous peospects.
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Fujiman wrote:Great we've not even played a SL match yet and we are talking about who should go and who will have a bad season :eusa18:
Might aswel bring back Noble then were back to where we were last season :D

Keep Wigan "Wigan"