Not really a rumour

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Re: Not really a rumour

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
One of the criticisms I have seen posted on here and rlfans is our scouting system has been very poor compared to say Saints in recent years.

Dave
Dave. I reckon Wigan's scouting system is as good, if not better than any other clubs. My gripe was the way the kids were treated after they had been targeted and signed up. In all my years of being involved at junior level, I told the lads to take offers from Saints, Widnes, Warrington, even Leigh rather than Wigan because those clubs had a reputation for looking after the youngsters far better.

Example. At Under 13s, Warrington spotted the Evans twins in South Wales. The club relocated the entire family to Warrington, sorted a house, got employment for their parents, placed the lads at Sankey High School and got them into Burtonwood ARLFC. When did Wigan ever do that?

That said, I do think with the likes of Wane, Hampson and Rads involved, things are now improving. As more and more of our first team players, 2xTomkins, Mossop, Goulding, Prescott etc. emerge from the junior ranks, we are starting to show a more enthusiastic and caring approach to our future potential stars.

OAMJS, your St Pats allegation is becoming a bit of an old chestnut. Greg Burke was from Bridge, Jack Roden spotted Liam Carberry at Bold Miners, along with Shae Lyon-Fraser and Phil Hamnett. Tom Halsall played for Judes.

I do agree that Pats have provided many good players but that is largely because the best of the juniors tend to want to go there, especially once Service Area training starts. BTW, Andy Farrell played for Orrell St James's!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do you think scouting is a tad lazy across RL. 99% of the names mentioned are picked up from SA/Carnivals etc. Names become known to all and sundry. I am not sure how many talents are unearthed by clubs that very few clubs elsewhere did not know about.

Tom Halsall was actually IIRC playing Union but he represented St Peters in a Wigan Schools final v Fisher and stole the show with Dean Bell/Brian Foley watching and it went from there. I think in his first year as a SA selection he was unattached.

It is good to see the club looking at areas like Oldham and Cumbria as both areas always produce talent.

The day this country produces so much talent that it becomes a real art to choose which players to go for then we are heading in the right direction. In Aus, being a Juior Rep, even international does not mean you will make it and plenty of Junior No Names come through.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Is there any way of passing on potential talented youngsters to the club for the scouts to consider? There is a certain youngster here with a lot of talent and its only a matter of time before gets snapped up
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Email Mick Hogan and he will sort it.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cumbria_warrior wrote:Is there any way of passing on potential talented youngsters to the club for the scouts to consider? There is a certain youngster here with a lot of talent and its only a matter of time before gets snapped up
Jack Roden or Johnny Jackson are the two people you need to speak to. Alternatively as CPW suggests contact Mick Hogan or Shaun Wane.
No straw damn us

cumbria_warrior wrote:Is there any way of passing on potential talented youngsters to the club for the scouts to consider? There is a certain youngster here with a lot of talent and its only a matter of time before gets snapped up
Check your pms for contact details.
No straw damn us

No straw damn us wrote:Wigan are keeping close tabs on two young Yorkshire based players.

It could be two or even three years before their signings come to fruition (if indeed they ever do) but they are both top draw, one a fullback / centre / winger the other a decorated stand off.

One certainly looks as though it could happen.
one of them is coming over for talks this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

can you tell us the name or at least give us a clue or maybe just a pm. cheers
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

would that be Donna & Bazza's lad? believe they are living down Dalton and Wigan are very interested, or is it somebody else?
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

I have no idea who the rumoured players are but i will take a stab and say the five eighth could be Ryan Brearley - Castleford and the winger/centre could be Jordan Thompson also from Cas, he was in the England Academy squad but didn't end up going to France because he played SL.

On the money ?