Confirmed, wigan signed all three Hofman Finch and Lima

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gpartin

Re: Confirmed, wigan signed all three Hofman Finch and Lima

Post by gpartin »

yeah I agreed with the Craig Smith comment but forgot about Logan, good point. Like the idea of having a bit of brute force up front but not entirely sure how good Lima is because I've not seen him regularly enough and seen some mixed reviews. From what I've seen of Finch this season he just seems like a bog standard back but Madge obviously knows more about him than any of us.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

sfter davis perfoance i'd swap him for presscot anytime, he runs harder than presscott, get him back give widnes PP
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

platt-warrior wrote:Lima,Fielden,Coley-sounds fine to me Dave.Unfortunatly Prescott /Davis will have to fight for their places.
I think so. It's hard to break through as a young prop because as we saw v Wire maturity and experience count for a lot in the front row. Bringing through Davies as he seems to be the one most people rate is an important job for the coaches. I think Prescott may lose out. O'Carroll may also but I rate him higher than Prescott so I'd keep him if I had to choose.

Dave
Brian Edgar

Post by Brian Edgar »

Excellent news. Adds to our strength in depth and our youngsters are far better for the experience they are now gaining.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:Lima,Fielden,Coley-sounds fine to me Dave.Unfortunatly Prescott /Davis will have to fight for their places.
I think so. It's hard to break through as a young prop because as we saw v Wire maturity and experience count for a lot in the front row. Bringing through Davies as he seems to be the one most people rate is an important job for the coaches. I think Prescott may lose out. O'Carroll may also but I rate him higher than Prescott so I'd keep him if I had to choose.

Dave
I'd like to keep all three of Prescott, O'Carroll and Davies - I don't think they're on much wages, and as you say, props are better as they mature. Premature to let any of them go, IMO. Prescott is only 24, O'Carroll 23 and Davies 20.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote:

Dave
Forgot about logan DaveO, yeah your prob right with that.

After watching Davies on Sunday i would say he is our brightest prospect as a front rower, runs very hard and has excellent footwork, that spin as he hits the line he does makes him very hard to put down
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

To echo everyone else's views, these are perfect signings. As to which props we keep, I am hoping we keep Fielden (on much less money) and Prescott, plus Davies, O'Carroll and PP. I think it's likely that one of the last 3 will emerge as a class act. On O'Carroll, he seems to suffer badly from injuries. I wonder whether that is because he simply is not large enough in practice. On PP, he needs to bulk up a la Harrison, which I assume is feasible. Davies could be the best of the lot as he is skilful and naturally big.
This time next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Briers running away again when faced with a pack of Lima, Mc, Coley, Hoffman, Hock, Lockers with Fielden, O'Carroll, Mossop and Joel off the bench. Though he may go off "injured" instead.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the easiest way to look at it is this, if you look who is going out to who is coming and ask yourself;

Are they better than who is leaving?

Hoffman for Bailey = Yes
Lima for Feka = Yes
Finch for Riddell = Yes

Which means no matter what we need or think we need these singings make our squad stronger
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think the easiest way to look at it is this, if you look who is going out to who is coming and ask yourself;

Are they better than who is leaving?

Hoffman for Bailey = Yes
Lima for Feka = Yes
Finch for Riddell = Yes

Which means no matter what we need or think we need these singings make our squad stronger
That is a very good point, well made!

I also think that too much is being made of Hoffman being surplus to requirements. I know we're strong in the second row but injuries are inevitable and I think you need at least 20 players in a squad who are capable of starting every game. It promotes competition for places too.

Everyone is saying how we lost to Wire 'cos of not enough pack strength. Well in Lima and Hoffman are two seasoned, experienced players who will bolster what we've already got. Provided they turn up and play for us, I think it's a win win. :)
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Mr Sergent

Post by Mr Sergent »

on the topic of Davies It was nice to read how well received and respected he is by the Widnes fans. link below.

http://www.trustinwidnes.com/forum/inde ... 081.0.html