magic weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
THE 18th Man

Re: magic weekend

Post by THE 18th Man »

the RFL are a joke. i dont see many fans making the trip. i've been to all the events so far and think that to ask rugby fans to go to Cardiff at the start of February to watch their teams first match of the season is a massive joke. i think its time there is a seperate board set up called the superleague. like the premierleague and the FA. so all the superleague bosses come together and run the league together because the RFL couldn't organsie a p**s up in a brewery
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

It won't work and it is going to be embarrassing for Rugby League. Just do double headers at different grounds. For example get the Yorkshire clubs to play a few derbies at places like Elland Road or Hillsborough or the Lancashire clubs to play at Goodison Park or City Of Manchester Stadium. The Magic Weekend does not work properly, if it is to continue then surely Manchester and Sheffield should be considered as a venue
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
pieeater

Magic weekend

Post by pieeater »

Magic Weekend at Cardiff next year!!!! First matches of season!!!! Feb.12th n 13th
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well apparently the roof is going to be closed for all games so that makes it the fans can watch all seven games in comfort. So that makes it OK in the eyes of the RFL.

I won't be going anyway regardless of the roof being shut. Who wants to go to Catfiff mid-winter?

What I want to know is, is this an extra round or have we lost the extra game? The BBC says it's the first round of the SL season which kind of implies that they have hijacked one of the regular fixtures rather than added an extra one for the magic weekend.

I am all for the extra game going but if it has then half the teams are going to lose home advantage for one game compared to the rest and "half" the supporters who are season ticket holders will get one less home game compared to the other half.

Dave
Salsa Caliente

Magic Weekend 2011

Post by Salsa Caliente »

So, the Magic Weekend is going to open next year's Super League. What a smart move, I don't think.

It'll be a month and a half after Xmas and if we win the Super League this year, we'll have a little thing called the World Club Challenge to fork out for.

Doesn't anybody at the RFL know how to do effective planning? Sorry, I forgot this is the same organisation whose disciplinary structure has no consistency. Silly me. :eusa17:
gillysmyhero

Re: Magic Weekend 2011

Post by gillysmyhero »

Couldnt agree more.There are around 10 of us that go to the magic weekend in Edinbourgh and always go camping to save on the cost (as well as having a good laugh).The campsite we stay on is always packed with rugby fans there for the magic weekend.I reckon that there are at least a couple of hundred people that stay on the site.Well we wont be going next year and i cant imagine many more going camping in February either.The RL is run by bean counters and buisness men who havent got a clue what the fans want.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

It will be an extra game as they are re-introducing local derbies but in South Wales.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:Well apparently the roof is going to be closed for all games so that makes it the fans can watch all seven games in comfort. So that makes it OK in the eyes of the RFL.

I won't be going anyway regardless of the roof being shut. Who wants to go to Catfiff mid-winter?

What I want to know is, is this an extra round or have we lost the extra game? The BBC says it's the first round of the SL season which kind of implies that they have hijacked one of the regular fixtures rather than added an extra one for the magic weekend.

I am all for the extra game going but if it has then half the teams are going to lose home advantage for one game compared to the rest and "half" the supporters who are season ticket holders will get one less home game compared to the other half.

Dave
It was closed a few years ago, the pitch was very slippery underfoot for the players because of the condensation & it was bloody freezing inside while outside it was glorious sunshine.

I won't be going, I go to Blackpool for the Lancashire Rugby Federations weekend the week before
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Well I am about to disagree with all of the above and praise the RFL for coming up with a much better start to the season than they've managed for a while.
The negative comments about the weekend are too narrow and unhelpful to the greater good of Rugby League. Don't ever underestimate the power of advertising. As I have commented before on these blogs, if you can sell naff hamburgers and horrible soft drinks you can sell anything. I don't see the promoters of American junk food ever wondering if their advertising budget is misplaced.

So let's not be negative about selling the greatest game of them all. It's a good start to the season and a very positive way to get going and will earn lots of publicity.
If it's humanly possible to be there I shall be there - and so should you if you can.
Just wrap up warm like we always used to for the Boxing Day games!
Stevethegas
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

stevethegas wrote:Well I am about to disagree with all of the above and praise the RFL for coming up with a much better start to the season than they've managed for a while.
The negative comments about the weekend are too narrow and unhelpful to the greater good of Rugby League. Don't ever underestimate the power of advertising. As I have commented before on these blogs, if you can sell naff hamburgers and horrible soft drinks you can sell anything. I don't see the promoters of American junk food ever wondering if their advertising budget is misplaced.

So let's not be negative about selling the greatest game of them all. It's a good start to the season and a very positive way to get going and will earn lots of publicity.
If it's humanly possible to be there I shall be there - and so should you if you can.
Just wrap up warm like we always used to for the Boxing Day games!
Count me in.Fortunately it is almost as easy for me to travel to Cardiff as it is to Wigan on a Friday evening.Plus I do not mind the cold as the wife is always telling me that I have enough blubber to keep a whale afloat.Think she is hinting that I should lose some weight? Cause I personally see nowt wrong with eating two or possibly three Wigan pies on my visits.Because they don't make them like we do. :D