Lee Mossop

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Lee Mossop

Post by Panchitta Marra »

gpartin wrote:
doc wrote:It was also interesting to see that he has put on 6kg in pre-season. I hope the rest of the squad are seeing similar improvements in bulk. This could really improve the likes of Tuson, Preccy, Faz, O'Carroll, JT, and HH who I feel lack a bit of weight, providing they don't lose any pace/mobility in the process.
I think rugby league forwards in general lack a bit of size these days. I know the role played by league and union forwards is totally different but there was a time when it seemed our forwards were far stockier than theirs (apart from the short fat props of course) whereas these days their forwards look much stronger and more menacing. Fortunately our forwards are far more agile, make more hard tackles, run faster and can pass. Within reason, size isn't as important as people make out.
I dont see that for a second Gaz.
Yawnion is still a pack with 8 unfit bags of blubber trolling along on pitch.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Union players are a lot fitter / stronger these days than they were say even 5 years ago. That does not mean that masses are suitable for converting to RL but they are certainly better equipped physically than in the past.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Union players are a lot fitter / stronger these days than they were say even 5 years ago. That does not mean that masses are suitable for converting to RL but they are certainly better equipped physically than in the past.
Thats your opinion CP.
Rugby League forwards are much better equiped too, for the current style of play in the 13 man game.
The picture of a typical union forward stuck in my mind is Adam Jones.
As I mentioned they just troll around the pitch.
Take time out to watch this bloke, he just ambles along from ruck/maul to ruck/maul (or whatever they call it) and just stands there on the fringes.
I am a massively unfit 18 stone ball of fat and beleive you me, I could do that at 48 years of age.
Union forwards make no comparisson to their Rugby League counterparts.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is PM and whilst the players are not as strong or as fit as League players they have progressed an awfully long way in the last 5 years. Yes, their front rowers will never be League front rowers but that is because they have a specific job to do in terms of scrums. Scrums are by far the most important role they have.

Some of the back rowers now in Union compare very well athletically / physically with League players. The outside backs certainly do. An example of a player who might convert to a League front rower or remain a back rower would be Courtney Laws. David Attwood might be another.

You have to remember many of these Union forwards are huge men. Some of the Union props are 6ft 3 and weigh 19 stone etc. Feka was league through and through but he could not play 80 minutes non stop and chase fleet of foot backs around the pitch constantly. Nor should Feka have been expected to just as Union forwards of a similar physique should not. You have to compare like with like.

The backs stack up pretty well nowadays IMO. Mind you, haven't they always?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very insightful Mick :wink: Thankfully, others over decades took a different view hence Wigan and RL have had some fantastic Union converts that have been absolutely fundamental in our successful history.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

You wouldn't think that Wigans two top all time try scores and record points scorer came from Rugby Union would you?