Next Season Centre?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Next Season Centre?

Post by cpwigan »

WF I would say Goulding is more a centre than a winger and centre is his natural position.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Looked like a pre-defined defensive pattern to me - they did that flying out of the line to stop the ball before the winger thing so many times. Aussies got wise in 2nd half and just missed the man out.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

According to IL this post is all about young Darrell Goulding or Josh Charnley getting a shot at centre So I think it's a foregone conclusion that an overseas centre is a no goer.I am in the cp camp in the belief that we should be either playing DG,JC,or giving the youngsters a chance.I've read many posts on here about how good our youngsters are and that they should be given a chance.Well for me this is the opportunity to show just how good they really are.Do we really want to go back to the situation under Noble when the youngsters did not get an opportunity unless injury forced the situation.I do not expect us to win the league in 2012 but blooding youngsters who will give us a brighter future is personally ok by me.Of course I want us to win everything that the game offers us.But if it means that we can give the youth a chance then so be it. :D
cook123

Post by cook123 »

Centre is the hardest place to defend on a rugby pitch u need to trust your inside and outside men, that is why u need to play a centre their and not in last years case a second row, DG is quite weak defensively imo at centre, if he is going to be given a go there then fair enough but he needs a lot of work on his game in that position esp as two years ago when he was in the team he was playing wing. i don't personally think he is good enough but i would love for him to prove me wrong. JC i cannot comment on playing centre as i've never seen him play there.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

There seems to be some stories on RLFans that indicate we may have offered Jack Reed a contract, is there any truth in this?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Charnley is playing out of his skin on the wing so it is probably best to leave him be. As for Goulding he was not considered good enough last season so i think it would be a backward step to play him centre.We need a centre badly,along with a half back and back row forward as Luakki is not mobile enough to play there.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

old hooker wrote:Charnley is playing out of his skin on the wing so it is probably best to leave him be. As for Goulding he was not considered good enough last season so i think it would be a backward step to play him centre.We need a centre badly,along with a half back and back row forward as Luakki is not mobile enough to play there.
Half backs? Powell/Mellor, Williams/Hampshire in 2/3 seasons

Backrow forwards, far too many already. Burke/Hughes have not even started a SL game yet.

A fit again Roberts? Ryan King gives us the option re Charnley to centre where he was very successful for Hull KR, Marsh? Goulding is a scapegoat for some fans. No wonder Joel wanted to leave :roll:
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

100% Warrior wrote:There seems to be some stories on RLFans that indicate we may have offered Jack Reed a contract, is there any truth in this?
God I hope so.
He looks class to me, and more inportantly, he is a centre, not just a quick second row forward.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im not blaming them CP but neither strike me as an out an out centre which is what i feel we need as its such a tricky position to play defensively. Id like to see someone who isnt either a blown up winger or nimble 2nd row.
Goulding is a natural centre and always has been. He has never had a sustained run in the team in that position, largely because he was made a scapegoat when Noble was here and his success on the wing then meant he has hardly played at centre the last couple of years. People forget how well he has played at centre, mainly when he was still a teenager in an awful team, and he deserves the chance of a sustained run in that position. A game here and a game there does no one any good. I remember when he got the No. 3 shirt a few years ago and he was absolutely outstanding in the first game away against London and scored a cracking try from his own half. The week after at home Tim Smith let in 3 tries, Goulding was made the scapegoat by Noble and Tim Smith lovers on RLfans :roll: and was dropped and barely got the chance again.

Look at Welham at Hull KR. Now people are raving about him now but he was fairly awful when he first started, and was far worse than Goulding when he was having game at centre at about the same time. However the difference was he was at a smaller club and was given time to develop, they kept playing him and importantly the fans were patient. Now some Wigan fans want to sign him. If he had been at Wigan he would have been well behind Goulding in the pecking order and would now probably be at somewhere like Wakefield ala Sean Gleeson. Give Goulding a full season and see what he can do, I know that many who saw him in the academy as a teenager would feel the same way.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Would need to blood a youngster as Carmont will be going at the end of 2012... why have 2 rookie centres? May aswell give either Goulding a run to adjust or a kid up through the ranks to get games under his belt at the top level
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame