Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
eccywarrior

Re: Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Post by eccywarrior »

it is a crazy idea but think of money sam and club will make.
IN WANE WE TRUST
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

Sam is rated as one of the best players in the world in both codes. if he gets an injury which rules him out for any part of next season IL will have alot of questions to answer at the next fans forum.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

eccywarrior wrote:it is a crazy idea but think of money sam and club will make.
Of course it will not! Wigan will barely make anything after making sure he is correctly insured enough to play in such a farcical game. Sam will be another issue.

This (if it happens) is nothing but tentative steps to test the so called "binding" contract Sam has just agreed too (you know the one - where he speaks to no Union or NRL teams for 3 years). This will not be a knockabout game for Children in Need - which on a certain level (for charity) I can accept.

I can see him playing "on loan" for some Union club during the League close season every year of that 3 year deal!

To say it is wrong on every level really stinks and no-one can say this should be allowed He is a Wigan RLFC player only - end of discussion :angry:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Is this starting to look like a case of the player is bigger than the club? If this was Man United Fergie would get rid. I don't want Sam to leave RL and I know he can't for the next few years but something needs said to stop all this hype. I for one am absolutely exhausted hearing about Sam Tomkins so how must the lad feel himself? Sam for God sake stick the flying V up to the Rah Rahs and use some of your high wages to go on holiday for a couple weeks and get away from it all.
Up The Mont!
FROM A TO B

Barbarians

Post by FROM A TO B »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 810900.stm

So Sam signs a contract saying he can't talk to the RFU or NRL and then they talk about him possibly turning out for the Barbarians next weekend!
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
BriH

Re: Barbarians

Post by BriH »

I must admit I thought this was a spoof when I read it.
Weird.
butt monkey

Re: Barbarians

Post by butt monkey »

FROM A TO B wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 810900.stm

So Sam signs a contract saying he can't talk to the RFU or NRL and then they talk about him possibly turning out for the Barbarians next weekend!

The only bit of the article that IS interesting and does sound like Sam wants away despite having his new contract (please for God's sake someone tell me again this is not his new agents pulling the strings again now :wink: )
But Tomkins could make a one-off union appearance against the Wallabies.

"It's a possibility," confirmed Barbarians team manager Alan Evans.

"Over the years we've brought some rugby league players into the Barbarians, some of whom were already on their way into rugby union, people like Sonny Bill Williams and Wendell Sailor, so a precedent has been set.

"I can confirm that we've had talks with Wigan and we hope to resolve it in the next 24 hours."
I underlined the important bit.

No one has played for the Barbarians whilst playing another code or sport. It is true that both Wendell and SBW had swapped codes though just prior to making an appearance for them - this is different and suggest more is on the cards
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I remember the fixtures we played at union with both Bath & in the Twickenham 7's.

The League skills/pace/ability woke up the union authorities to the talent in our game (previously thought we were Northern nobodies & well behind the standards of union - actually met a couple of Bath supporters at Maine Road who said they would hammer Wigan at RUGBY LEAGUE ! Such was their ignorance.)

But all it did was start a drain of talent into union when they came knocking - Connolly,BJ Mather, Robinson & a host of coaches (e.g. McGinty, Mike Ford), plus Faz/Betts a bit later on.

Worried this could lead to be the same outcome once they throw the money around.

And still they will knock & undermine our game - they should be viewed with great suspicion and message to Salford, dont fall into bed with Sale ! You will become minor tenants in your new stadium, without doubt.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Well said Tony. The only thing that will happen as a result of this (if it happens) is for union to be more interested in Sam and the possibility of an injury.

I'm really starting to hate his agent.

SAM.... YOU'RE A CRACKING RL PLAYER AND THAT REALLY SHOULD BE ENOUGH!!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

what is there to worry about? he is here for 3 years and i believe thzt that contract will be honoured. Its far to easy to read between the lines and be sceptical about his inevitable loss but in my opinion it's 3 years away.

Surely it won't be to obvious that the RFU will use this Mickey Mouse game to decide where they want to slot him in. It gives Sam, rugby league and the Wigan club an opportunity to showcase their talent to an ignorant audience. IL may be shrewd on this as we'd benefit financially and i reckon the RFL have an involvement too. Why shouldn't this happen in sport? Valentino Rossi testing in F1 for example. Adds to the realm of 'spectacle'.

Think of Dwain Chambers at Cas... Similar in some ways as his first outing was just that. He could have been great who knew.

The only risk is injury and a good gamble to make Sam available. If he wants to learn Union why now? He will pick it up in 3 *YEARS if he wants that path not a week after his new Wigan deal.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame