Magic weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Kittwazzer

Re: Magic weekend

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Wire and Leeds both have what i would consider easy matches.
The Warrington v Widnes game is not only an embarrassment for the game, it is gifting Wire top spot and making it easier for them to catch us up on points difference!
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Wire and Leeds both have what i would consider easy matches.
The Warrington v Widnes game is not only an embarrassment for the game, it is gifting Wire top spot and making it easier for them to catch us up on points difference!
This. There is nothing wrong with the magic weekends as a way of enticing new people to follow the sport but as it stands the fixtures give an unfair advantage to some teams and disadvantages to others and aren't very entertaining in some cases.

Plus, the Warrington vs Widnes game isn't showing the game in a good light only that there is a huge difference between the top and bottom teams. The idea behind the magic weekends are surely to highlight how entertaining our game is!
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Kittwazzer wrote:The Warrington v Widnes game is not only an embarrassment for the game, it is gifting Wire top spot and making it easier for them to catch us up on points difference!
Exactly the point I've been making, the plan of primarily using derby matches doesn't always make for even contests. Especially with the Wolves v Vikings farce at present.

If they want the Magic weekend to continue they must offer a round of competitive games top to bottom of the table and the only way to do this is by allocating matches based on the prior weeks league positions eg 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, etc.

Look at the amount of empty seats at the Etihad on a glorious weekend like this, also there's no excuse that the weekend is being held at a development area such as Cardiff or Edinburgh.

Magic weekend needs looking at as it presently makes the sport look embarassing.

A further point which the Wolves / Vikings match has shown me is a return to relegation / promotion is needed. How about a double header at the end of the season with the Super League Grand Final and a play off between Super League's wooden spooners vs the top team in the Championship.

Presently there's no fear factor for teams in the lower part of Super League so they don't need to worry about thumpings like Widnes are getting. A place in Super League should be earned on the field not by a committee.
loyalbelfast

Sea of plastic

Post by loyalbelfast »

Sea of plastic

Is this really the way to go with the game - huge stadiums
more plastic to see than flesh! Does this really promote the game to someone tuning in on Sky? (Even though the rugby was excellent)

There was a sign on the front one of the the tier facades that read "We're not really here" (I would add rugby league fans to that!)

As I said in a previous post re the Challenge Cup final last year it was a poor turnout then lots of plastic to see everywhere across the Wembley tiers

My granny would have said one has to cut the cloth to suit the pattern - if one has to have these special games have them in smaller stadiums - better atmosphere surely, would look better on TV crowd wise..

One agree?

Rgds
Ancient & Loyal (like Belfast!)
100% Warrior

Re: Sea of plastic

Post by 100% Warrior »

There's a thread about the Magic weekend in the general RL section but I do agree with your sentiments.

I've no problem with the Magic weekend being played in development areas such as Cardiff or Edinburgh but surely they don't have to use stadiums which hold 60 to 70,000 as all those empty seats just look appauling for the sport.

For the Magic weekend to work it needs to be played in a stadium with a reduced capacity to create a better atmosphere and spectacle. Also, matches need to be as competitive as possible not like some of the blow outs we've seen. Only way to guarantee that is base it on the prior weeks league table ie 1v2, 3v4, etc.

If the RFL wanted to try something different and still take the Magic weekend on the road why didn't they try Belfast or Dublin, it would help to drum up some interest in next years World Cup as some games are being played in Ireland.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

100% Warrior wrote:If the RFL is to persist with the Magic weekend then IMO things have to change:

1. Derby matches have to stop being used to bulk out the fixtures
This is my main gripe. A league consisting of 14 teams can only be fairly played out with each team playing 26 games ie every other team home and away. By all means have the Magic Weekend but why does it have to involve an extra questionably unfair game. Why can't it be one of the 26?

That extra game whereby the 2nd team can play the bottom team for an easy 2 points and improve their differential compromises the integrity of the entire competition!

bocco

Post by bocco »

I went today, enjoyed 2 of the games but Widnes were embarrassing. There also was a lot of empty seats. We are all going tomorrow so that will add to the fun. Warriors win will be the icing on the cake
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:
100% Warrior wrote:If the RFL is to persist with the Magic weekend then IMO things have to change:

1. Derby matches have to stop being used to bulk out the fixtures
This is my main gripe. A league consisting of 14 teams can only be fairly played out with each team playing 26 games ie every other team home and away. By all means have the Magic Weekend but why does it have to involve an extra questionably unfair game. Why can't it be one of the 26?

That extra game whereby the 2nd team can play the bottom team for an easy 2 points and improve their differential compromises the integrity of the entire competition!
They should have it but as a special one off tournament & they don't get the points towards SL.

They may as well have not played the Wire/Widnes game yesterday & just give Wire the two points :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Blackpool would seem an ideal venue. Smaller stadium, local hotels and all the fun of the fair.
Agree that the only real games over the week-end are the two Hull teams and Wigan/Saints (assuming Bulls don't turn over Leeds). Surely no one on this site will be happy if Wires beat us to the league leaders trophy on points as a result of this wekend, then again we should have beaten Widnes earlier earlier in the season.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

It just is not working, hence all the empty seats on view in the smaller of the stadiums the magic weekend has been held.

There is always going to be a team who will have an easy game so I cant see how the fixtures can be sorted fairly, and to have a seperate tournament with no points on offer would see clubs resting the established players and making it meaningless.

It has been going long enough to capture the spectators imagination and it hasnt,therefore IMO its time to get rid of it