Is this what we can expect this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Is this what we can expect...

Post by DaveO »

Ancient&Loyal posted:
David Vaialeki (sorry for the spelling mistake)
Harrison Hansen
Everyone is entitiled to their opinion on players but having a go at these two is a bit premature IMO.

As to the title of this thread, is this what we can expect? With five such key players out, yes. I didn't expect to win tonight given the players missing. If Farrell leaves then it won't improve our chances much either.

We need a full squad to complete and I think we would have beaten Wakey with another prop available.

Dave
wolftown warrior

Re: Is this what we can ex...

Post by wolftown warrior »

there aren`t many teams in superleauge, who after all the penalties, mis placed passes & total lack of composure at times would still be in with a shout against a GOOD wakefield team,
i`m not gonna mention the ref, or the injuries.. they are just excuses..
i thought we would win tonight, as did bradford last week, anyone can beat anyone on any given day.. that is the beauty of super league..& the cap..
we sucked first half, but came back strong second, even with the sin bin. have faith in the boys! i do agree we lack a leader.. it is time for terry or lockers to step up.. i thought lockers worked his balls off last night,
& we look fit.. we looked much stronger than the wildcats second half.. we created more than enough chances to win.. didn`t take em..

i am as disapointed as the next fan.. i was fuming last night, but to say all those players are not wigan players is a little premature..

100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Have to admit I was disappointed initially with the result but on reflection we did well to be in contention with half a team and not a very good performance.

Thought there were flashes of the good things we can expect from Vaealiki once he's fully fit, come on the guy has missed 9 months of playing so it will take him some time to get match fit.

Also thought Hocky played well, hit the line hard and was willing to work for the full 80.

I'm sure we all know that injury wise this isn't the start to the season we all wanted but it's our job to back whichever team is out there in the Cherry & White of Wigan and remain optimistic we'll win the game.

Also have to say I'd rather the Farrell issue was done & dusted one way or the other, that way the media would concentrate on our matches rather than speculation.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Forgot to mention ...

No doubt that Rooney did well for his length of the field try but well done to Liam Colbon for the chase he gave.

However, I see there was no comment by the SKY commentators that Colbon's shirt had been tugged by another Wildcat's player as he gave chase.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

100% Warrior posted:
Forgot to mention ...

No doubt that Rooney did well for his length of the field try but well done to Liam Colbon for the chase he gave.

However, I see there was no comment by the SKY commentators that Colbon's shirt had been tugged by another Wildcat's player as he gave chase.
i saw that too it was just enough to to make liam break his stride which was what let rooney get over the line. one thing i also noticed was the size difference which let the wildcats gain alot of yards through the middle by just grinding it out.i still think we,ll be there or there abouts come the end of the season but leeds and the saints look that wee bit better. we need our injured players back sonn as poss. espeically our leader :(
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

It's all well and good to say that half of our team are too average to wear the Wigan colours A&L but how would you suggest we build a team of winners, we can't buy all the best players from our opponents because of the salary cap.

Out of interest though, who would you replace those players with that you deem to be not good enough for the Cherry and White?

O'Loughin and Hock are hard workers, it was apparent at the game but even more so watching the replay on sky, Lockers is growing strength and confidence, some of tackles stopping Korkidas in his tracks were brilliant.

Moran didn't play that well but he has been down with the flu all week, I think it's just a case of no replacement, however, Betts obviously thought a fit Brown would play better than a flu ridden Moran.

Every season we complain about a slow start, and quite rightly so, we've got injuries but last week we should have turned Salford over. The answer to me is quite clear, every other SL side plays more preseason friendlies than us. We went mad this year and played two, compared to five or so for other teams, who consequently start better. When will we start to realise?

I personally think (and the rumours back it up, if that makes sense) that we've made a bid for Sonny Bill Williams, who else, other than our very own Maurice 'Pillock' Lindsay makes an opening offer of £300kpa and will then up it because the Dogs have equalled/topped it. (There are shades of the Vaealiki signing here, double his wages to get him fast). This virtually says that the Farrell cross-code switch is done deal and if SBW signs our salary cap troubles are set to get worse. A squad of 16 next season perhaps?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I must admit Sean is looking a class act at the moment. And 18 months ago i thought he was not of a standard weve come to excpect. Too many of us barrack certain players when we lose. Give them time.

We had 12 out there under 24 does that not say something about our future. The youngsters pushed a virtually fully Wakefield side to the wire. We were missing class players and have a prop to come in.

Most side will lose at Wakefield they are a good side as as for the idiot who was disgusted we lost there for the first time in years needs to realise they are a quality side now. The days od not losing a game are gone all side will lose a few games.

Also i agree with the person who posted about Farrell and we need to get this sorted out in the next few days. The team is basesd around him and now they must find a new method. This is the biggest problem Faz either go or stay but make your mind up and stick to the decision its not fair on the playing staff of the club. And come clean we all have slaughtered Mo for not coming clean yet we have not heard a word from Faz.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

robjoenz posted:

I personally think (and the rumours back it up, if that makes sense) that we've made a bid for Sonny Bill Williams, who else, other than our very own Maurice 'Pillock' Lindsay makes an opening offer of £300kpa and will then up it because the Dogs have equalled/topped it.
I shouldn't imagine that if we have made an offer to SBW to come to Wigan it would be for £300K a year, it just doesn't make sense at all.

I would have thought a more reasonable salary would be AUS $300,000 a season, if I'm right the exchange rate is approx AUS $3 to £1. Therefore, Sonny would have a contract of about £100K per season.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

100% Warrior posted:
robjoenz posted:

I personally think (and the rumours back it up, if that makes sense) that we've made a bid for Sonny Bill Williams, who else, other than our very own Maurice 'Pillock' Lindsay makes an opening offer of £300kpa and will then up it because the Dogs have equalled/topped it.
I shouldn't imagine that if we have made an offer to SBW to come to Wigan it would be for £300K a year, it just doesn't make sense at all.

I would have thought a more reasonable salary would be AUS $300,000 a season, if I'm right the exchange rate is approx AUS $3 to £1. Therefore, Sonny would have a contract of about £100K per season.
... a deal like that wouldn't lure him away from Aus though would it!
Special K

Post by Special K »

Ive got to fully agree with Ancient and Loyal we have become a team who seems to accept players who are mediocre at best. What happened to class like Andy Grego , Shaun Edwards , Robinson. I think Big Maurice is at fault with the way the club is run and he should step down and let someone with enthusiasm take over. :D