SW...and next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
KOOCH

Re: SW...and next season

Post by KOOCH »

Support SW and support the club.The man's only been in charge one bloody season.We are Wigan Rugby League not bloody Chelsea.Will you be saying the same thing come the end of 2013?Wait and see how things pan out before calling for a change.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Ah poor old Kol you must be one of lifes moaners the friggin season hasn't even begun yet, either your a serial moaner or you support pathetics one ort tother.

I think Wane made us the most consistent side of last year correct me if im wrong and he brought us home a trophy in his first season not bad for a guy who was coaching (excuse my language) "st pats" not too long ago
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

Wes

Post by Wes »

Up until last year SW has only coached kids or worked as an assistant now considering it was his 1st season in charge of a SL team and he had them finish top of the league to be the most consistent team and play a good brand of rugby ..... What am I saying sack him now he's shit and has nothing between the ears to succeed!!
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

29wes28 - I think what you were saying was that Wane was serving his apprenticeship coaching the young and then as Assistant.
I would say he should be given time irrespective of the results this season.
E.& O.E.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

cherry.pie - Sorry to say, but you are making a common mistake. Wane didn't lose those two crucial games, the players did. Had they won them then it would be the players who performed well.
Can we get away from this 'Madge Thing' He has been gone 12 months now so he is history. Making comparisons is non-productive.
Otherwise let us wait and see since we have no influence in the future.
E.& O.E.
Wes

Post by Wes »

On that same precedent Ron this topic is non productive!

It's rather negative and not needed.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The problem (fun?) of being in the close season is that, as we have no evidence we can connect all we like without being proven wrong.
I will go this far and say that he exceeded my expectations last year, coping with losing some important players, recognising that we had to be more expansive and very nearly pulling off at least a double (but for Sam's knee). Indeed, I thought he had us In far better nick in the play offs than we were the previous year, which shows he had learnt something about peaking at the right time.
He had an inevitably rocky settling in period, but then we set off on that long run when we were better than we have been for years - such style and fury. That was down to him.
Having shown he can get that level of performance from a large squad ( he needed over 30 players), I simply can't see how losing a few players will see us lose an additional 10 games for us robe 8th.
There's absolutely no reason to conclude he cannot spot talent and get the most out of the players at his disposal. I would never have imagined he would get as much out, say, Dudson and Hock, as he did. Bear in mind Madge played Hock at prop!
Of the players we are losing, we will lose something without Carmont, but if Richards stays fit then we'll not be much worse off. Finch had his moments but was hardly Brett Kenny. A good passer can do his job within our system. With the young forwards a year older and Taylor big and very talented, our pack will be stronger this year. The one loss we will feel keenly is Tommy, but even there we have had a fair amount of time to get used to that.
At the same time, Saints have a lunatic coach, and mid table signings, all Wire's key men are old and we have seen how their performance plummets without the oldsters,and Leeds are a year nearer their sell by date.
On what I have seen so far, I see no reason for the level of despair shown on here.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Coaches matter and one coach will always be compared to another. Monie was compared to Lowe and successive coaches were then compared to Monie.

The amazing aspect of this thread is that Wane was so close to pulling far more off withdeafeat of Leeds and a GF appearance in his grasp. The margin between success and failure can be very tiny.

Personally, I think questions need to be asked re Wire and why their repeated Play Off/GF failures. Perhaps both Wire and ourselves as to why we keep allowing Leeds to win SL.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

No straw damn us wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Tad premature to comment either way IMO given it is pre season.
Spot on. However I do think that there are a few Wigan fans who would take a bit of delight if Wane fails You know the "I knew he was never up to the job" ones. IMO if he doesn't deliver at least one trophy this year then IL may not extend his contract and I'd be very sorry to see Wane lost to the club if this happens.
I know for an absolute fact that Lenegan wasn't happy with us just winning the league leaders shield. When Waney was asked how he thought the season had gone, by Lenegan, he said, pretty good. Finished top of the league and only lost in a couple of semi's.
Lenegan disagreed and thought it was a poor season because we hadn't won any major trophies. Wane has GOT to win some real silverware next season, or else he could be in trouble.

Personally, I think he's done a pretty good job. He's worked his way up from coaching the juniors, to first team assistant and now he's head coach of, possibly, the most famous RL club in the World. He's made a few mistakes along the way, but then again, who hasn't? If he learns from the mistakes and we can kick on a little bit next season, then we'll be winning trophies again. We weren't far off last year, just a couple of blips. Admittedly, they were in crucial games, but we still had a pretty successful season, IMO.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Sutty wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Tad premature to comment either way IMO given it is pre season.
Spot on. However I do think that there are a few Wigan fans who would take a bit of delight if Wane fails You know the "I knew he was never up to the job" ones. IMO if he doesn't deliver at least one trophy this year then IL may not extend his contract and I'd be very sorry to see Wane lost to the club if this happens.
I know for an absolute fact that Lenegan wasn't happy with us just winning the league leaders shield. When Waney was asked how he thought the season had gone, by Lenegan, he said, pretty good. Finished top of the league and only lost in a couple of semi's.
Lenegan disagreed and thought it was a poor season because we hadn't won any major trophies. Wane has GOT to win some real silverware next season, or else he could be in trouble.

Personally, I think he's done a pretty good job. He's worked his way up from coaching the juniors, to first team assistant and now he's head coach of, possibly, the most famous RL club in the World. He's made a few mistakes along the way, but then again, who hasn't? If he learns from the mistakes and we can kick on a little bit next season, then we'll be winning trophies again. We weren't far off last year, just a couple of blips. Admittedly, they were in crucial games, but we still had a pretty successful season, IMO.
Very Good Post!