Reds Snap Up Gaskill, Howarth Goes Other Way

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: Reds Snap Up Gaskill, Howarth Goes Other Way

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:This is a very odd piece of business. Saints are in desperate need of a half-back, they have one of if the not the best hooker in the league not that far of returning from injury and they send a talented young lad off to salford in replacement for a hooker who presumably wont get much time when Mr Roby is fit again.

I have heard that Mr Gaskell is less than popular and the size of his ego outweighs his ability (from a stains fan)

So for me its either;

1) NB knew that he wasnt going to play Gaskell again so thought he would try and do a deal to bring in a Hooker to cover Roby. In which case why not bring in a half-back that could play hooker?

2) Robys injury is worse than they first thought

3) NB just isnt very good at knowing what the team needs.

Stains seem a bit rudderless at the moment, to be honest if i was going to bring a hooker in id of tried to get clark from cas.
I'd have tried to get Micky Mac! :lol: :lol:
Howarth can play several positions half back included as well as hooker
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Gaskell's contract is up at the end of the season, he did not want to renew/Saints were not OTT about a new one. Saints need a hooker, hence they take Howarth. Howarth was a good honest player in our reserves but he has no attacking weaponse either physically or skill wise. His best spell in our 20s was as first receiver with Sam at 6 which involved Howarth simply getting the ball to Sam ASAP. Howarths best natural position is probably loose forward.

Salford fans are ecstatic. Howarth has been their fall guy somewhat.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I must admit i havent seen much of the lad so if he can play in other positions then i guess thats something they can use.

In terms of your post CP.

Would you say signing a season long loan for a hooker who you would imagine unless NB plays him elsewhere will be surplus to requirements in a few weeks is a good idea? Especially at the expense of a young halfback?.

I understand the situation re: him not wanting to sign for Saints but i think the lad has talent if a little sporadic in the distribution of it, surely if he wasnt going to sign for saints giving him an opp to put himself in the shop window you would see the best of him? They knew Eastmond was leaving yet still played him.

I just think if someone gave me a choice of these 2 players i would pick Gaskell - however i havent seen much of Howarth so maybe im wrong
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:This is a very odd piece of business. Saints are in desperate need of a half-back, they have one of if the not the best hooker in the league not that far of returning from injury and they send a talented young lad off to salford in replacement for a hooker who presumably wont get much time when Mr Roby is fit again.

I have heard that Mr Gaskell is less than popular and the size of his ego outweighs his ability (from a stains fan)

So for me its either;

1) NB knew that he wasnt going to play Gaskell again so thought he would try and do a deal to bring in a Hooker to cover Roby. In which case why not bring in a half-back that could play hooker?

2) Robys injury is worse than they first thought

3) NB just isnt very good at knowing what the team needs.

Stains seem a bit rudderless at the moment, to be honest if i was going to bring a hooker in id of tried to get clark from cas.
I'd have tried to get Micky Mac! :lol: :lol:
Howarth can play several positions half back included as well as hooker
True but that doesn't make him a good player. Honest pro but not Saints (of old) class! You need to look at their recruitment policy: 1. A bunch of overseas players past their best who will need replacing in the next year or two. 2. A big guy from Batley. 3. Howarth for Gaskell. 4. A bunch of juniors (some good lads) most of whom wouldn't get a game in Wigan's U19 team. 5. A centre who is no better than the one he replaced (probably not as good).

I am not having a go at Saints but they look way off where they have been for the last decade or so. If the Aussies come calling for Roby then they could be in serious trouble.

This league needs a strong Saints team (but obviously one that we can beat every time we meet).
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I must admit i havent seen much of the lad so if he can play in other positions then i guess thats something they can use.

In terms of your post CP.

Would you say signing a season long loan for a hooker who you would imagine unless NB plays him elsewhere will be surplus to requirements in a few weeks is a good idea? Especially at the expense of a young halfback?.

I understand the situation re: him not wanting to sign for Saints but i think the lad has talent if a little sporadic in the distribution of it, surely if he wasnt going to sign for saints giving him an opp to put himself in the shop window you would see the best of him? They knew Eastmond was leaving yet still played him.

I just think if someone gave me a choice of these 2 players i would pick Gaskell - however i havent seen much of Howarth so maybe im wrong
Gaskell has potential but somebody needs to get a grip of him. Rumour has it that he has never got on with Rush and given the latter is still operating in the background it is not a suprise to me.

Are Wilkin, Swift or Charnock better halves than Gaskell? I think not, so there are obviously underlying tensions.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Gaskell has potential but somebody needs to get a grip of him. Rumour has it that he has never got on with Rush and given the latter is still operating in the background it is not a suprise to me.

Are Wilkin, Swift or Charnock better halves than Gaskell? I think not, so there are obviously underlying tensions.
I heard this too
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is 100% true that Rush loathes Gaskell and another player. IIRC, they were less than complimentary about him and word got back to Rush.

I actually think Gaskell has potential. He reminded me of a young Paul Cooke from Hull. However, Cook shows that no matter how much potential you have it is about delivering game after game (well at least the right games!)
shaunedwardsfanclub

cpwigan wrote:It is 100% true that Rush loathes Gaskell and another player. IIRC, they were less than complimentary about him and word got back to Rush.

I actually think Gaskell has potential. He reminded me of a young Paul Cooke from Hull. However, Cook shows that no matter how much potential you have it is about delivering game after game (well at least the right games!)
Out of contract at the end of the season? I'd take a punt on him.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:It is 100% true that Rush loathes Gaskell and another player. IIRC, they were less than complimentary about him and word got back to Rush.

Out of contract at the end of the season? I'd take a punt on him.
Why? Who would he replace?

Personally, I think he and Matty Smith could haunt Saints for their bloody mindedness. I just think Gaskell will do it for another club. We are covered at half back.
jobo

Post by jobo »

He apparently has issues with training and also feels aggrieved about something or other.

I'd say he is a talent and with the right coach could become an excellent player.

He's definitely fed up with Sts though.