Press conference

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Re: Press conference

Post by Wes »

Have to say Josie I'm happy with all of that!

Wigan should employ you too as media outlet and mediator! :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

29wes28 wrote:Have to say Josie I'm happy with all of that!

Wigan should employ you too as media outlet and mediator! :D
:lol: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mr Lenegan confirms that Sam will go to NRL next year or the year after BUT NOT to Rugby Union!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

josie andrews wrote:Mr Lenegan confirms that Sam will go to NRL next year or the year after BUT NOT to Rugby Union!!
I suppose I'd be happier with that. It's the lesser of two evils.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Moose said the contractual option to return to Wigan was the dealmaker! :)
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Best bit for me is Faz's new deal. A 5 year contract implies the club sees him as the next target!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Worst bit was the news that Sam may go 'next year or the year after'. Makes a nonsense of his 3 year no talking clause. Cue an apoplectic DaveO! :(
markill

Post by markill »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 151&type=1

Some good sounding parts to the Hock/Mossop deal. Players are going to want to go to the NRL so we have to take what we can from the deals. Two six figure sums and first refusal on return to SL is about as good as it gets I reckon. I'd rather we keep qulaity players, but thats like a Latics fan prefering that they kept Valencia or Moses rather than have them go to Champions League playing clubs.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors Sign Welsh Rugby Union International

Wigan Warriors confirm the signing of Wales Rugby Union Forward, Andy Powell, on a two-and- a- half year Contract for the remainder of 2013 plus Seasons 2014 and 2015.

Andy will join the Warriors at the end of the 2012/13 Rugby Union season in May when his current contract comes to an end.

Andy is a powerful forward who has spent his last two years at Sale Sharks in the Arriva Premiership having previously played for Wasps, Cardiff, Newport and Llanelli. He comes highly recommended as a perfect candidate for code transition to Rugby League by previous Wigan players in rugby Union.

In perfect synergy with Wigan's partnership with Wales Rugby League and with the Rugby League World Cup kicking off at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in October, Andy has represented Wales on 23 occasions and was a member of the British and Irish Lions touring party to South Africa in 2009.

The 31-year-old will begin training with Wigan at the end of May following his wedding and honeymoon.

Speaking about the signing, Wigan Chairman and Owner Ian Lenagan said;

"This is a good signing for us, reminiscent of Scott Quinnell who became a highly successful Wigan forward before returning to Union as an even better player. Andy is a strong and powerful rugby player and I am certain he will be able to make the switch of codes successfully. We are delighted to get his signature and this is a coup for the Wigan Club to acquire a player of his talent and potential.

"It is also a great opportunity for Wales to have him in their Rugby League World Cup squad in autumn."

"The trend in recent years has been for top Rugby League players to make the move in the opposite direction and the signing of Andy is a marquee moment for the sport. Rugby League is a magnificent game of great attraction to Rugby Union players for its speed and open try-scoring style. The addition of Andy to the Wigan squad is of great interest to players, fans and Press alike and we all look forward to seeing him in the famous Cherry-and-White shirt in the next few months."

Andy Powell added;

"This is a fantastic opportunity for me and one I am really looking forward to. I have always thought that a move to Rugby League could be an option for me at some point in my career and when I learned of Wigan Warriors interest I was excited about the chance to make the switch. Wigan Warriors are the biggest name in Rugby League; they also have a rich history of Welsh connections over the years and are a huge name in the Principality.

"I am thrilled to be given this chance and with the help of the Wigan Warriors Coaching Staff, I am looking forward to being able to make the transition between codes. This is a huge new chapter in my Rugby career and I can't wait to get started."

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane commented;

"Andy will add strength and power to our forward line. He has excellent ball-handling skills and we are all looking forward to him joining us. His rugby experience both at Club and International level in Union is second to none and I am certain he will be also a huge success with Wigan and in Super League."

Powell could be the first of a number of Rugby Union recruits heading to the Super League club to complement quality young Wigan-trained players and young players with strong potential from Wales and from other Super League clubs after Chairman Ian Lenagan outlined the Club's innovative and already successful player recruitment strategy at a Press Conference on Tuesday morning.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 154&type=1
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sean Long Joins Coaching Staff

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that ex-Great Britain half-back Sean Long is joining the Club's coaching staff.

Long is a knowledgeable Coach who has proved himself initially for the past 18 months at Salford City Reds as an Assistant Coach and will join the Wigan Club shortly.

Having spent much of his illustrious career playing against Wigan during a very successful playing career he will now join his hometown Club.

Wigan has a proud record of promoting talented Wigan-born Coaches into the Club's system and the addition of Sean Long is another step in support of this philosophy.

Warriors Rugby Manager Kris Radlinski said;

"Sean is without doubt a quality young Coach of potential who knows the game of Rugby League inside and out. Our senior Coaching staff will integrate him into our system, teach him the Wigan style of discipline, control and hard work and also tap into his vast pool of playing experience. The fact that he is a 'hands-on coach' who can step in and show how it should be done, really appeals to us.

"The Coaches will help Sean with his technical knowledge and delivery. He is a great character who I am confident will flourish alongside our current Coaching Staff. With Shaun Wane, Iestyn Harris, Paul Deacon, John Winder, Matty Peet and Dave Clark we have the best Coaching Team in the country which is a real selling point when attracting new players to the Club.

"This appointment really highlights what our Club philosophy is all about over the coming years. It is important that we have strong succession plans in place for both players and the development of our staff."

Sean Long added:

"This is a really exciting time for me in my career and I am looking forward to joining the Wigan Coaching Staff and demonstrating my commitment to the Wigan standards and discipline. This is a real opportunity for me to develop my own skills in a new coaching role and learn off the Club's very experienced Backroom Staff. I feel I have a lot to offer the Club from my time as a Player and Assistant Coach and can't wait to get learning."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news