Much better

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Re: Much better

Post by MrsLam »

No one said we were a great side, what I did say is actually quite fitting. I said some people would prefer to be negative and say "its only leigh" (which it is) but I'd like to take positives out of that game and we can. If you were there, I don't know if you were, you would have noticed some more creative play rather than get the ball run x 5 then get the ball and kick straight to the full back. There was a lot of effort there when really there didn't need to be, purely because "it's only Leigh"

Next week it will be different, we all know that and no one has denied it but I think the lads might know that too.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I think this game was just what they needed, partly as a "practice match" and partly as a confidence builder. The combinations were working a lot better than they have been, the defence was much more organised and the support play was excellent. Carney made a massive difference, too - hope he's ok.
chorleywarrior

Post by chorleywarrior »

MrsLam posted:
I think you were watching a different game. There weren't too many penalties given away were there? That's why when they got some in the second half the Leigh fans were ironically cheering.
I'm confused, did you go to the match cause you say

"by the sounds of it" but then you talk about how we made hard work of it? We were singing EASY to them, there was nowt difficult about it and if we made it hard then bloody hell we did do well putting 62 past em.
I was at the game,so funnily enough I was watching the same one as yourself,I'm simply saying you can't really judge how well Wigan have done because quite simply Leigh are not good enough to be in that League,yeah it's great putting 60 points past a gang of numpties but lets see them beat Saints,Leeds,etc if they can do that fair enough I'll be the first one dancing all the way to Old Trafford!
But I'm certainly not going to start shouting just because we beat a rubbish team from Leigh!
LiL_WaRrIoR

Post by LiL_WaRrIoR »

I think you are right mrslam it was only leigh but we can definatly take positives out of the match! the fact is we won the match!! that is a positive!! i also think that the lads looked a stronger side than they have been doing and that yes we will have to work alot harder if we want to win saints next week but for the time being...I'M HAPPY!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan till i die!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Why can't you go shouting about it? It's two points, in the end it's not who you beat that matters it's where you finish in the table. Beating the bigger teams is just a pure confidence booster, people are taking away the performance tonight because of Leighs record.
If we can put those moves we were practising tonight, together against the bigger teams then we're well on our way.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Fantastic! Thats all i have to say, well done to everyone on the pitch wearing a wigan shirt and i have to say how good that ref was he was fair both ways, well done mr king!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
chorleywarrior

Post by chorleywarrior »

MrsLam posted:
Why can't you go shouting about it? It's two points, in the end it's not who you beat that matters it's where you finish in the table. Beating the bigger teams is just a pure confidence booster, people are taking away the performance tonight because of Leighs record.
If we can put those moves we were practising tonight, together against the bigger teams then we're well on our way.
Your missing my point completely I'll try it this way see if you understnd,if Man Utd beat lets say Crystal Palace 6-0 does that mean that Utd are going to win the Champions League?No because Palace are a bottom of the table team,just like Leigh are!
And beating the bigger teams is just a confidence booster??It's beating the bigger teams on a regular basis that gets you to the top of the table,and then who knows maybe even the odd Final,and if your really lucky a big silver thing called a Cup!!
I just hope your all saying the same things after Easter!
I stand by what I say,i'm still not convinced we are a good team and capable of giving Leeds a run for there money,I just hope Mrs Lam you prove me wrong!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

At least let us take the glory tonight, before putting a downer on things
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

chorleywarrior posted:
MrsLam posted:
Your missing my point completely I'll try it this way see if you understnd,if Man Utd beat lets say Crystal Palace 6-0 does that mean that Utd are going to win the Champions League?No because Palace are a bottom of the table team,just like Leigh are!
And beating the bigger teams is just a confidence booster??It's beating the bigger teams on a regular basis that gets you to the top of the table,and then who knows maybe even the odd Final,and if your really lucky a big silver thing called a Cup!!
I just hope your all saying the same things after Easter!
I stand by what I say,i'm still not convinced we are a good team and capable of giving Leeds a run for there money,I just hope Mrs Lam you prove me wrong!
I've not missed your point, I took it but I don't agree with it. It's not beating the big teams that get you to the top, if some big teams lose to some little teams and some little teams lose to some big teams then how does that mean the big teams go top? It's nothing to do with who you are playing, you don't get more points for beating Leeds. Anyway, my original post says that I know it is only Leigh but we can take some positives out of the game. That is what I keep saying. We need all the points we can get and I don't care who we beat as long as we get the points, there were 3 possibilites tonight. We could have won, drawn or lost with what Leigh have to prove and how we have played recently, this local derby could have proved slightly more difficult than us just going out there and doing what everyone else has to them.
I never said we would win anything because of that, my whole point was that we can really take positives out of the game. We did well tonight, I don't care whether they were down to a one injured man team at the end, we still got 2 out of 2 points.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

mrs_carney posted:
At least let us take the glory tonight, before putting a downer on things
I'm on a high here! We can talk about what we need to do to beat saints another day, for now we played a good game of rugby for the full 80 minutes. Didn't pick up too many injuries and we looked quite physically fit even at the end. Look how far Ste Wild took that ball up field! Like I said, we didn't need to put 60 past them but the effort and the determination was there and it was only Leigh!

With the atmosphere next Friday, it's gonna be a belter:D

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!