Thornley or Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Thornley or Gelling

Post by markill »

Sutty wrote:On Friday, I thought Thornley was a bit greedy. Especially when, on the occasion that we broke the Bulls line, he did everything well, drew the winger, committed the fullback and centre in to tackling him and then what does he do? Throws a dummy that no player in the world will fall for, gets tackled and a certain 6 points goes begging. I did think, on the whole, that Gelling and Thornley were pretty even. I think Gelling seems more willing to take the ball up though and seems to win the collision more often than not. He dragged 3 Bulls players an extra 10 yards on his back last week too, on occasion.
I think that this maybe relates CP's point:
cpwigan wrote:A curve ball here. I think Thornley is a lefty and Gelling a righty.
Playing on the right centre didn't seem to be the natural fit for Thornley in attack (and didn't really solve his defensive issues we've seen creep in over that last couple of months). It wasn't natural for him to get the ball away effectively to his winger, something Daz Goulding seemed to have trouble with early in his career but must have really worked on because he is now excellent at doing so.

When Gelling has played left wing I always thought he carried the ball in the wrong hand for that position which contributed to his finishing issues, but in the centre I don't think his carrying style is an issue as he has more room between himself and the sideline and I think he could be equally effective either side. Maybe he is impulsive in defense a little, and Josh can be too (more so than Pat) so it balances better having them on different ends of the defensive line. Thornley's defending issues seem to bit more indecision leading to weak positioning.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wes

Post by Wes »

cpwigan wrote:A curve ball here. I think Thornley is a lefty and Gelling a righty.
So Gelling or Daz?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Thornley has always been a huge centre. As a junior he played the year above for St Pats as did Owen Farrell in the same team. A team full of talented juniors that eventually won the U16 National Cup and many were picked up by pro clubs. IMO when you are physically huge at a very early age and play in outstanding teams you sometimes do not learn the best habits because you never have to. It works the opposite way too, Sam T was even more skinny and shorter than the player he is today. He had no choice but to learn good habits / techniques. As a junior he was so small he had to regularly employ the cumberland throw.

I have always believed Thornley has the potential to be the nearest British centre to the legendary Neil Fox but there is a huge difference between potential and becoming the best player you can be.

Thornley is no slouch especially when he gets clear but like all big guys he needs to work his behind off to improve his speed off the mark, often speed over 5 metres is the most important speed you can have in RL. I think his sheer size made him 'lazy' when tackling because he could always destroy his opposite number in the juniors. Therein lies an issue in British RL; At junior level and indeed anything below first grade the intensity / quality you face is not good enough to force you to develop until you reach grown men / first grade.

So for Thornley his speed off the mark AND footwork which could be better will decide IMO whether he becomes a future Neil Fox or just a big centre. I think he can provide an aerial threat too for cross field kicks. The guy is very intelligent academically and determined so I think he will come good. A year or so in Union may not have helped him other than financially in the short term.

He is a lefty!!

V Bradford he showed some good yardage drives, some decent runs and some decent tackles but his game was not consistent at that level.

Gelling IMO was one of our biggest threats (top 3)v Bradford AND strangely under utilised as we seemed to go right far more than left. There were times too when play was over complicated with too much second man stuff when he basically needed the ball early to be 1 v 1 with his opposite number whom he had the beating of IMO. His footwork was very good.

The Academy rules have IMO really screwed with Gelling and others in a similar situation which is incredibly unfair. You are almost forced to use such players just to give them a even break.

I think Gellings defence / positional play is his biggest weakness, worse than Thornley IMO. He always strike me as having errors in his game but you cannot judge him fairly until he has had half a dozen games minimum. For that reason Gelling IMO unless he has a complete mare needs to be selected simply to give him a chance. At this moment in time his attack seems to offer more, his yardage runs are more than good enough which negates his defensive / concentration issues.

IMO he is a righty, a centre or a second rower. Centre first though. Wing as a last measure IMO.

The RFL have screwed with Gelling and his ilk enough. Time he got an extended chance in a favoured position.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Thought Gelling had a decent game last night. He actually turned the game in our favour with his scoot break in the opening quarter. I still think he is a righty though :)
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Personally i think Gelling is the better at the moment - have to say i have always liked him and its a shame that the rules have stunted his development. My only major critism of him is he hasnt got much game knowledge. He has a tecdency at least once a match to take completly the wrong option and always seems to wind up being bundled into touch.

I think in terms of ability and technique thornley edges it but Gelling gives 100% every game without fail, he really runs his blood to water for the team.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I like them both :) They both need more game time to gain experience.

I think centre is a difficult position to play, that's why there always seems to be a shortage of experienced centres IMO :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Post by markill »

I'm not sure what the numbers were last night, but Gelling has been making about 120 yards per game in the three games he's played centre in the league - 2 losses and 2 abject attacking performances I might add.

Maybe one of his problems is knowing when to release the ball to his winger, but you can't argue that he is making an impact. Seems to win every collision he goes into at the moment.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Gelling as centre with Thornley as his winger next season.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Gelling as centre with Thornley as his winger next season.
Agree with Gelling edging Thornley his position at centre, but don't think Thornley is speedy enough as a winger. Gelling definitely puts himself about more and his work rate is good (Thornley does sometimes look lazy, but maybe that's just his manner).

On the other hand, Thornley does look a "classier" player with better hands, but you need good speed on the flanks and neither has that kind of real pace.

Perhaps in the long run with extended game-time, each will become top centres, but each one in a different mould which isn't a bad thing, being able to mix things up for the team.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

They both need to be more aggressive in the tackle and Gelling needs to develop a much better partnership with Pat.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards