Re: Offloads galore.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

According to the stats on the Super League website, Wigan have the lowest number of offloads of any team in the league - 199 this season compared to Warringtons 409!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Aluaka wrote:According to the stats on the Super League website, Wigan have the lowest number of offloads of any team in the league - 199 this season compared to Warringtons 409!
I daresay we are very high for passes though, especially in our own half. Everything in Wane ball is geared to lateral play, 2nd man, 2nd man,2nd man!!
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

Fair point.

Seeing more variety would perhaps be a step in the right direction eh? And Powell's offloads were a breath of fresh air I've not seen enough of recently!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

VARIETY is the golden word :exc:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

True, our play is so well read by other teams cos it never changes :(

Bit like a fairy story, the beginning, middle & end is always the same, but in our case, it's not always a happy ending :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Yes, he performed well when he was on the pitch but, for gods sake, why put him in the team for one of the seasons highlight games if you only intend to play him for 20 minutes.
Methinks that he will need to stop these offloads if he is going to conform to the current playing strategy.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I thought he wasn't too bad, but why have him starting instead of on the bench???

Really weird team selections & tactics last night :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You have to be very careful in terms of understanding offloads. Wayne Bennett, Melbourne under Bellamy all built success on zero offloads but they forego offloads for yardage / fast POTBs to build up the forward momentum required to then go wide. Offloading today is used as a way of commencing play from the offload hoping the opposition defence has become disorganised and you take advantage. To my knowledge nobody has ever combined the two trains of thought, opting for either / or.

Nobody has in my life time ever managed to go around teams with constant lateral passing. The nearest and they were suited to the style was Widnes under Laughton. EVEN with the ideal players for that game plan it bombed out more than it worked.

Ask yourself which style of play Wigan's squad suit?
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

cow yeds wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Brilliant! He's exactly what we've been looking for. A prop who doesn't go forward; is slower than anyone else; hasn't got a clue about defence; can only play 20 minutes a match but does lots of offloads when he is stationary and the player who receives it is immediately tackled.

If I was Crosby, I'd be looking to move on if someone like Powell is ahead of me in the coach's thinking.
I agree with everything you say. Andy Powell plays more like Sandy Powell :wink:
Are you two for real?

He's made four appearances, all of them short stints on the field, which incidentally is a coaching decision. He runs in and it takes a mob to take him down, he's scored one try, and he's already made more tackle busts than some of the players who've been in for the majority of the season. Of all the things that didn't work last night, he wasn't one of them. The reason people were tackled immediately is because nobody was moving last night, that's their fault, not his.
WiganShark

Post by WiganShark »

i'm spartacus wrote:
cow yeds wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Brilliant! He's exactly what we've been looking for. A prop who doesn't go forward; is slower than anyone else; hasn't got a clue about defence; can only play 20 minutes a match but does lots of offloads when he is stationary and the player who receives it is immediately tackled.

If I was Crosby, I'd be looking to move on if someone like Powell is ahead of me in the coach's thinking.
I agree with everything you say. Andy Powell plays more like Sandy Powell :wink:
Are you two for real?

He's made four appearances, all of them short stints on the field, which incidentally is a coaching decision. He runs in and it takes a mob to take him down, he's scored one try, and he's already made more tackle busts than some of the players who've been in for the majority of the season. Of all the things that didn't work last night, he wasn't one of them. The reason people were tackled immediately is because nobody was moving last night, that's their fault, not his.
There are none so blind as those who will not see, give Powell a chance, can't believe the negative comments. Yes he's crossed codes get over it, pathetic.