Micky Mac, an 80 Min Hooker!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Micky Mac, an 80 Min Hooker!!

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:He's wonderful, isn't he?
And only going to get better.
We have to spell him to make sure he plays 80 in the big games. I strongly suspect he will be spelled by someone other than Logan as we move into the post Tomkins era. Can Williams play there?
He, Faz and Lockers will ensure that we'll win something again next season. When we get to 2015, and Rocky and co take over, we'll have a run like Leeds and Saints had (a long time ago now, in Saints' case :) )
Yes, I believe that Williams can play hooker and indeed this is where he may end up in the future. I do though, think that we should persevere with Williams and Hampshire playing together as we could have an outstanding halfback partnership. I am sure that Shorrocks may have something to say about it though.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

If anyone has recorded the live sky coverage of the game and in particular a 3 man tackle on quasimodo on 57 mins 07 secs.
The tackle involves flower, moose and mac. I think that was the tackle requiring super quasi to get his head bandage fitted. Mac snook up on the rear side with an excellent short right.
I think there was some claret showing when quasis head was in view.
Super Benny Westwood was looking groggy after that hit. :lol:
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

I've seen more of the feisty McIlorum that we used to see in the last two games and I love it. He seemed to calm down after Gaz went but I'm really enjoying seeing his naughtiness coming back gradually. We didn't really have anyone who would worry the other teams this season in the way that Gaz and Micky used to do and make them think twice about trying it on.
Hope he continues with this next season... (In the right circumstances (like the Benny Westwood situation) of course ha ha
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

KaylaRobbo wrote:I've seen more of the feisty McIlorum that we used to see in the last two games and I love it. He seemed to calm down after Gaz went but I'm really enjoying seeing his naughtiness coming back gradually. We didn't really have anyone who would worry the other teams this season in the way that Gaz and Micky used to do and make them think twice about trying it on.
Hope he continues with this next season... (In the right circumstances (like the Benny Westwood situation) of course ha ha
Another bit I enjoyed KR was when Quasi returned to the field post 8 stitches and a bandage, Mac was at him again within 15 minutes with a dead leg tackle.
Poor old Quasi didnt know where to run to.
I really like a bit of edge in a player like this.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sometimes player play better the longer they play and lose something being interchanged. IMO Micky Mac is that type of player.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
KaylaRobbo wrote:I've seen more of the feisty McIlorum that we used to see in the last two games and I love it. He seemed to calm down after Gaz went but I'm really enjoying seeing his naughtiness coming back gradually. We didn't really have anyone who would worry the other teams this season in the way that Gaz and Micky used to do and make them think twice about trying it on.
Another bit I enjoyed KR was when Quasi returned to the field post 8 stitches and a bandage, Mac was at him again within 15 minutes with a dead leg tackle.
MM is one of my son's favourite players and he is playing 9 for his Uni team. He will be doing the full 80 himself this year due to who left and who arrived in Sept, i.e. no one daft enough to play 9.

Personally I think he is a bit mad and so is MM to play there for the full 80 at SL level. It's incredibly hard and as others have said I doubt he could have done it week in week out all season.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I hope Micky continues to take the line on, if only to lock the opposition middle defenders before they start sliding. Lunt is very effective in this regard. Truth be told Micky is far better at darting from acting hb close to the try line than he is ever given credit for.
I disagree on that point. Darting from dummy half close to the line is by far the weakest part of his game. He often goes at the wrong times or tries to power his way over when he's not big enough to do that. That's why it was such a pleasant surprise to see him spot the gap brilliantly and outfox the defence on this occasion.

I can't remember many tries McIlorum has scored or set up in that manner, whereas players like Roby, Lunt and Higham tend to be much better at it.

McIlorum was fantastic though. I still rate him as a better hooker than Roby, as I do with Houghton.
I do not think he does it enough Cherry. It never fails even when you are tackled because it has the end result of forcing defenders to hold just in case as in Lunts case.
TedMac

Post by TedMac »

I've already posted elsewhere that I think MM was man of the match by a mile - the try, wangling a markers-not-square, flattening Westwood, flicking away a dropped ball and, in the last 15 minutes, running Wire absolutely ragged. They didn't know whether he was going to pass wide, pass short, go for the line. 80 minutes seems no problem to that guy.

He's one tough, quality hooker and I wouldn't trade him for any other British hooker. In the 2010 final, he took on Roby & Cunningham and outplayed both of them. This year, he was up against Higham and Monaghan and they weren't in his league. Last, but not least, he actually enjoys tackling and has as much impact as most props.
He thoroughly deserves player of the year, maybe with Daz in second place - or HH, or Farrell, or Pat, or Matty, or Lee Mossop etc etc.
Ted Mac
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Hes absolutely quality, my favourite player and as a hooker myself hes one i'd model myself on, even wear my socks down haha.
Up The Mont!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Panchitta Marra wrote:

There'll be a real edge when the two teams come face to face next season!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards