BT wins £897m Champions League deal

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Kaii

Re: BT wins £897m Champions League deal

Post by Kaii »

cpwigan wrote:I do think terrestial TV remains VITAL. Even if we are on BBC 4/3 AND/OR delayed post live showing elsewhere whatever we need more and more people able to watch RL.
The days of terrestrial tv are over even the channels you mentioned you'd need at least freeview. There is no reason what so ever to have it on BBC by right (England games etc)
The channel should bid like anyone else using our license fee and provide a proper service instead of making shit bound to fail shows that will definitely get cancelled.
Tv license is a joke, end of rant
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
doc wrote:The annoying thing is that RL fans, who have to subscribe to sports channels to watch matches bar the poor BBC Challenge Cup coverage, are paying through the nose to subsidise the ridiculous amount of money that Sky cough up for the football rights.
The coverage of the Challenge Cup by the BBC is good compared to the coverage of the present World Cup by Premier Sports.

A reason why I have watched the England games and the one Welsh game on the BBC rather than Premier Sports.

As for Sports TV contracts, it only shows how we the public are being ripped off with the prices they are charging for us to watch sport on television, especially football.
I think the coverage of the World Cup on Premier Sports has been excellent.

At least they've shown EVERY game unlike the BBC who have so far only concentrated on the England games!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

josie andrews wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
doc wrote:The annoying thing is that RL fans, who have to subscribe to sports channels to watch matches bar the poor BBC Challenge Cup coverage, are paying through the nose to subsidise the ridiculous amount of money that Sky cough up for the football rights.
The coverage of the Challenge Cup by the BBC is good compared to the coverage of the present World Cup by Premier Sports.

A reason why I have watched the England games and the one Welsh game on the BBC rather than Premier Sports.

As for Sports TV contracts, it only shows how we the public are being ripped off with the prices they are charging for us to watch sport on television, especially football.

At least they've shown EVERY game unlike the BBC who have so far only concentrated on the England games!!
I like the whole presenting team on premier, you can tell they really love the sport and the analysis is always spot on especially from that kiwi fella
doc

Post by doc »

While I think the BBC covered the Challenge Cup Final reasonably well I can't say the same for the earlier rounds. I would love to see Clare Balding back as I think her professionalism and enthusiasm rubs off on the whole presentation.

I'm glad that Ray French has finally hung up his mike. He's a great bloke to talk to with a real love of the game but his style of commentary is not what the game needs at the moment.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

Sorry, Josie but some but not all of the coverage has left a lot to be desired at times in comparison to that of the BBC and Sky. As for the BBC only covering the England games, that is understandable as if all the games were on free channels, it would have resulted in lower attendances at many of the games and that would not have done our game any good at all.

And from what I understand, many supporters with the exception of those who have Virgin TV, have had to pay a subscription to Premier Sports to watch the games. If you know different, then I stand corrected.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

BT have spent close to £2bn in securing the football rights for various competitions, as well as other sports. They are going to have to recoup this outlay somehow. I believe they have already announced that they are going to charge for the Champions League games, which is something that will annoy people that only used to watch them on ITV, previously. This means that if people want to watch Champions League, as well as the Prem. they will have to pay even more each month, on top of their Sky subscription.

How BT recoup their outlay for their purchase of the Premier League and broadcast rights is another matter. This is going to be paid for by their normal subscribers, whether they choose to watch the sport or not. Any BT customers on here will notice small increases to their monthly bills, which may seem insignificant, but will add up to a couple of £'s per month.

A lot of the other Telco providers are in raptures over the amount of money BT has shelled out for all these football rights, it could actually be their downfall. It's a huge outlay and if customers decide to opt out and go for a much cheaper option, like the pay per view services offered by YouView, it could be a huge nail in the BT coffin.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

And football supporters (Latic's Excepted) can't see how they are being ripped off at the turnstiles in spite of these fat contracts going into the pockets of those who run the game and the club's.

Why do you think there are a increasing number of foreigners investing in the football club's of our country?

Nothing is sacred in our country now, not even football club's.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Elite football is very much the domain of the mega rich nowadays.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Elite football is very much the domain of the mega rich nowadays.
It sure is, but the question is, 'What happens when they get fed up and find something better'?
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

They have to sell,after the amount of money they invest,they will require a profit.