Ferres tackle

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Ferres tackle

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

markill wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: If the tackle had been on a player with more weight than Lomas, would it have had the same result and looked as bad?

I don't for one minute think it was intentional, but it happened and Bentham did the right thing in producing the Red Card.
I disagree he had the opportunity to put lomax to the ground safely or indeed softly he basically pile drived him into the ground, just because lomax was uninjured shouldn't make it any less of an offence
Then you would see a 3 gave ban enough? That's what McLean got for his tackle. Although Ferres tackle was far worse even if outcome was better with no injury.
I thought Mclean got 7? he did originally I don't know if there has been an appeal though.

I think it depends on how the RFL want to play things, there are instances were momentum and numbers in the tackle accidently end up with a player going head first. This IMO wasn't such an instance.

I don't want to see the physicality of our game diminish but I don't want to see players put in wheelchairs through reckless tackles. I think you have to look at it this way. Ferres did that entire tackle without aid from another player so he has no excuse IMO and a harsh sentence seems fair I would give him 6 matches, yes that's less that Mclean but in truth I think that Mclean was very hard done to and can apportion much less blame, it was only that his tackle was unlucky enough to injury the player involved where as this one didn't..

FWIW I don't think Ferres is that kind of player and I do believe it was a flash moment of madness but in the same breathe that flash moment of madenss could of resulted in a broken neck for another player so we need to send a message out.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brown: Ferres deserved red, but isn’t dirty

Nathan Brown has insisted that referee Phil Bentham’s decision to send off Brett Ferres for a spear tackle on Jonny Lomax was correct. But he defended Ferres by insisting the England second-rower is not a “dirty player”.

Ferres was dismissed in the 64th minute of St Helens’ dramatic 17-16 win at the John Smith’s Stadium in Sunday’s Tetley’s Challenge Cup fourth round tie.

Huddersfield led 16-8 at the time, but conceded nine points while they were down to twelve men as St Helens booked their place in the next round.

Brown said: “It was a no brainer [to issue a red card]. Is Brett Ferres a dirty player? No, he’s not. He doesn’t go out there to deliberately do something like that, but it was a shocking tackle.

“We’ve just seen what’s happened in Australia, and that’s a tackle that we don’t like. Brett seems like a decent fella, and he hasn’t deliberately done it – he hasn’t set out to do it – and there was a lot of punishment in the sending off because it cost them the game, but it was a shocking tackle.
“He got what he probably deserved, but he hasn’t deliberately done it. They’re not like that, the Giants, and Baloo (Paul Anderson) doesn’t coach like that. It’s just an unfortunate incident, and thankfully Jonny Lomax is healthy out of it.”

Saints were handed another tough draw with a visit to Leeds Rhinos in the fifth round, which was televised on BBC 2 on Sunday.

The RFL insisted that there was no confusion in the draw, with some viewers taking to Twitter to claim that the 6 and 9 balls, which represented Widnes and Bradford, had been transposed.

“We checked it out carefully, and we can confirm that there were no mistakes in the draw and everything was done correctly,” said RFL Communications Manager John Ledger.

http://www.totalrl.com/web/brown-ferres ... isnt-dirty
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Jim mkes a very valid point about all tackles these days. The players are not just being taught how to wrestle when tackling BUT also when they have the ball.

I think it was Mark who said previously that a solution that may occu is held will / should be called either sooner which is sad in some respects but with wrestle by ball carriers and defenders it is somewhat inevitable.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

highland convert wrote:Suggest you watch it again. The tipping was initiated by Lomax grabbing Ferres leg so Lomax contributed to his downfall. Not saying it is not two to four matches but the full intent was not there. As for McKinnon, if it was not for him ducking his head it was not even a penalty. Sad to say but Seven matches is a knee jerk reaction to a horrific accident.

I'm actually going to put my neck on the line here but the feeling I got from the multiple replays is that Lomax jumped and propelled himself over (if you can understand that),I don't agree with spear tackles at all but there was definitely some movement from Lomax. No doubt I will get a rocketing now. The non drop goal was a travesty.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

From what i can gather this is the 6th time Ferres has been up for this kind of tackle. If that's right i think he'll get the max 8.
markill

Post by markill »

markill wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote: I disagree he had the opportunity to put lomax to the ground safely or indeed softly he basically pile drived him into the ground, just because lomax was uninjured shouldn't make it any less of an offence
Then you would see a 3 gave ban enough? That's what McLean got for his tackle. Although Ferres tackle was far worse even if outcome was better with no injury.
I thought Mclean got 7? he did originally I don't know if there has been an appeal though.

I think it depends on how the RFL want to play things, there are instances were momentum and numbers in the tackle accidently end up with a player going head first. This IMO wasn't such an instance.

I don't want to see the physicality of our game diminish but I don't want to see players put in wheelchairs through reckless tackles. I think you have to look at it this way. Ferres did that entire tackle without aid from another player so he has no excuse IMO and a harsh sentence seems fair I would give him 6 matches, yes that's less that Mclean but in truth I think that Mclean was very hard done to and can apportion much less blame, it was only that his tackle was unlucky enough to injury the player involved where as this one didn't..

FWIW I don't think Ferres is that kind of player and I do believe it was a flash moment of madness but in the same breathe that flash moment of madenss could of resulted in a broken neck for another player so we need to send a message out.
I should have clarified. McLean got 7 total, but 3 for the offence and 4 were for the injury McKinnon suffered.

I don't think Ferres is that type of player either but it was pretty bad on this occasion.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
thegimble wrote:Just hope the next time we see a spear tackle that the same happens and a red card and not put on report.

Changed the game the tackle and he cost them the game as much as Bentham.
If the tackle had been on a player with more weight than Lomas, would it have had the same result and looked as bad?

I don't for one minute think it was intentional, but it happened and Bentham did the right thing in producing the Red Card.
I disagree he had the opportunity to put lomax to the ground safely or indeed softly he basically pile drived him into the ground, just because lomax was uninjured shouldn't make it any less of an offence
Suggest you digest what I said, I am not defending the tackle, only asking if the tackle had been on a player with more weight like a forward, would it have looked as bad as it did with Lomas who has a lot less weigh.

It was a tackle badly executed and no doubt it will be dealt with in accordance with the disciplinary guidelines of a Class E offence on which Ferres has been charged.

It is also my opinion that any tackle in the way that it was being carried by Ferres should be penalised from the moment the player gets hold of the opposing player in the way that he did as it is a wrestling hold designed to get a opponent on the ground irrespective of how the other person lands, back, neck or head. In wrestling, opponents are more or less of equal weight which is not the case in rugby where players are of different weights.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

cow yeds wrote:From what i can gather this is the 6th time Ferres has been up for this kind of tackle. If that's right i think he'll get the max 8.
I have looked back at Ferres record he has already had a 1 match ban (Westwood)and a 3 match ban (Cockayne) besides 4 cautions for this type of tackle. It seems to me he hasn't learned his lesson. It must be his tackling technique thats all wrong.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Range of Recommended Sanctions in relation to Charged Grade*

4-8 Match Ban

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?5152
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Pleaded Guilty. 5 matches, £300 fine!