Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Post by cpwigan »

Presumably if he hadn't 'won' the double you would not :wink:

James is a penny pinching short term measure with no big picture thinking.

BTW; In terms of Wigan winning or losing recent evidence suggests the presence of Lockers in the 13 is far more important than anything Wane does / does not do.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:Presumably if he hadn't 'won' the double you would not :wink:

BTW; In terms of Wigan winning or losing recent evidence suggests the presence of Lockers in the 13 is far more important than anything Wane does / does not do.
But he did win the double and has worked with the youngsters day in day out for years, so like I said I will trust his judgement.

BTW: I thought it was Andy Farrell that was responsible for our CC cup win anyway?!

Ps. We have won 6 major trophies in the last 5-6 years, I think the big picture is being well and truly thought about!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You are right we have been winning trophies in competitions that are declining in standard year in year out. My bigger picture is for British RL to match and beat Australia and NRL Clubs. I guess being handed our asses by Sydney roosters becomes unimportant when you look at it like that.

P.S it is quite a while since Wane coached at Academy / Reserve Level. Not many first teamers today were coached by Wane at that level. Mac, Goulding (IIRC had other coaches too at academy level), Farrell and possibly Charnley in his last season or so.
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:You are right we have been winning trophies in competitions that are declining in standard year in year out. My bigger picture is for British RL to match and beat Australia and NRL Clubs. I guess being handed our asses by Sydney roosters becomes unimportant when you look at it like that.

P.S it is quite a while since Wane coached at Academy / Reserve Level. Not many first teamers today were coached by Wane at that level. Mac, Goulding (IIRC had other coaches too at academy level), Farrell and possibly Charnley in his last season or so.
Your 'bigger picture' point was about WW alone so don't try and move the goalposts now to justify your point. SW has coached at the club for many years and I would hazard a guess he can see potential better than you and I. Who he has actually coached at a certain age is irrelevant as again he will have seen more than enough of them to decide whether they need to step up to first team, move on permanently, be loaned out or carry on at academy level. He will also know that every now and again an old head can be invaluable. Again I will stick by my original post, which young props released by us have come back to bite us? The answer is none. Finally I will again stick by SW in terms of who will be given a chance/retained and who won't, the youngsters that have been given a first team chance by Wane so far seem to be excelling but unfortunately we can't play or keep everyone.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:You are right we have been winning trophies in competitions that are declining in standard year in year out. My bigger picture is for British RL to match and beat Australia and NRL Clubs. I guess being handed our asses by Sydney roosters becomes unimportant when you look at it like that.

Your 'bigger picture' point was about WW alone so don't try and move the goalposts now to justify your point. SW has coached at the club for many years and I would hazard a guess he can see potential better than you and I. Who he has actually coached at a certain age is irrelevant as again he will have seen more than enough of them to decide whether they need to step up to first team, move on permanently, be loaned out or carry on at academy level. He will also know that every now and again an old head can be invaluable. Again I will stick by my original post, which young props released by us have come back to bite us? The answer is none. Finally I will again stick by SW in terms of who will be given a chance/retained and who won't, the youngsters that have been given a first team chance by Wane so far seem to be excelling but unfortunately we can't play or keep everyone.
Without even looking any further or thinking about it; Tom Spencer now of Leigh who is likely to be playing SL for them soon.

If you want to turn your argument on its head; Wigan do get it wrong we are not perfect; Andy Powell! Luaki!

I will tell you MY bigger picture THANKYOU ;) I am always on record as how we fare internationally and v NRL clubs is the bigger picture. International RL is the bigger picture.

British RL is not that good. Saints v Leeds today was not an amazing advert for our sport and yet it should have been. If we accept the standard of SL has declined then surely that means it should be ok to blood far more youngsters? I personally have a hard time believing anything said in British RL. IIRC, Bateman was wrecked by Bradford and would be playing very few games this year? ODD he plays nearly every game (I am glad he is).

James is a crazy penny pinching move and a waste of a spot that should be given to a young Wigan player.
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

Without even looking any further or thinking about it; Tom Spencer now of Leigh who is likely to be playing SL for them soon.

If you want to turn your argument on its head; Wigan do get it wrong we are not perfect; Andy Powell!

I will tell you MY bigger picture THANKYOU ;) I am always on record as how we fare internationally and v NRL clubs is the bigger picture. International RL is the bigger picture.

British RL is not that good. Saints v Leeds today was not an amazing advert for our sport and yet it should have been. If we accept the standard of SL has declined then surely that means it should be ok to blood far more youngsters? I personally have a hard time believing anything said in British RL. IIRC, Bateman was wrecked by Bradford and would be playing very few games this year? ODD he plays nearly every game (I am glad he is).

James is a crazy penny pinching move and a waste of a spot that should be given to a young Wigan player.
So Tom Spencer could potentially end up playing SL and that would make it a huge mistake to let him go, ridiculous! I have never said JJ is a class act or deserves his place or I like the fact he is blocking a youngster. I just said how many young props have we let go recently that has been the wrong decision? The answer is none. I then said I will trust SW to get it right regarding youngsters and trust his judgement on the squad as he did a pretty good job last year. As for all the other stuff about British RL well that is a completely different topic and discussion, in my opinion CP! As for 'blooding' youngsters, just look at our squad, recent teams, how many more do you want? We still are the best at that and always will be but you still need a balance!!

Oh and when did I say Wigan NEVER get it wrong? Powell and Lauaki, were they young props we let go that have come back to haunt us? Nope!!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Unfortunately Jordan James was a donkey 6 or 7 years ago when Noble was here. Now he's a tool that SW has been given to use, like say a chisel. A chisel can go blunt and a donkey will never win the Grand National! End of.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:Presumably if he hadn't 'won' the double you would not :wink:

Not quite correct on the Lockers comment. We lost a lot of games last season not because Lockers was injured or not playing. It was to do with the sides Wane put out. Especially from July till the play offs.

Sometimes facts can be used to justify an argument but you need to look beyond that and see the big picture.
In the play offs without Lockers we still beat the Giants and Leeds.

As for James if Wane thinks he is better than any young prop we have coming through then that's a prop we do not need.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I have no problem with the lad making the numbers up and helping us out when we're stuck. Doubt that he'll be costing us much anyway. And I would argue that he will give us more bangs for our buck than the over heralded Mose Masoe across the hill who is rapidly becoming a joke.

Except no-one over there is laughing!
TrueBlueWarrior

I just want to make it clear I am not saying JJ is a world beater or that he is better than our young props could potentially become. I have just said in terms of young props in recent years I think the club has made the right decisions when it comes to keeping them or moving them on and I trust SW to carry that on. It just seems some on here like to shove so called negatives at the feet of SW frequently, for me one thing SW cannot be labelled as is a coach that is reluctant in giving youth a chance, at the right time.