The Disciplinary Panel

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: The Disciplinary Panel

Post by thegimble »

Mike wrote:They are the governing body. We have to reform them, and provide systems that are more and more transparent so inconsistency and corruption is harder and harder to get away with.

The alternative is to break away from the SL (which is now the same as the RFL) and setup our own competition again. To do that we would need the support of pretty much every other chairman and with that the RFL would reform anyway to remove the need of it happening. To get that much support in the game we wouldn't be able to focus on individual incidents, we'd have to prove systematic problems in an organisation not fit for purpose.

Banging on about BF and LH's bans does not help and of this.

This is not a head in the sand issue. TBH to me the people arguing about BF being sold down the river etc have their heads in the sand about how best to affect change. The assume that if you make enough noise in any situation, then you will get your way.
Chairmen and players are the only people who can enforce a change. Problem is some clubs will do what Red Hall tells them. SL is split and its obvious some want to a change but others are happy to plod along and not rock the boat.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:They are the governing body. We have to reform them, and provide systems that are more and more transparent so inconsistency and corruption is harder and harder to get away with.

The alternative is to break away from the SL (which is now the same as the RFL) and setup our own competition again. To do that we would need the support of pretty much every other chairman and with that the RFL would reform anyway to remove the need of it happening. To get that much support in the game we wouldn't be able to focus on individual incidents, we'd have to prove systematic problems in an organisation not fit for purpose.

Banging on about BF and LH's bans does not help and of this.

This is not a head in the sand issue. TBH to me the people arguing about BF being sold down the river etc have their heads in the sand about how best to affect change. The assume that if you make enough noise in any situation, then you will get your way.
Mike if we look throughout history, at times of peace, it takes the poop to hit the fan and/or near riotous protest to bring about significant change. That is not having your head in the sand, that is simply looking to the past and understanding how change is brought about.

The alternative, your alternative will achieve nothing in fact it endorses / supports an inept governing body. I will say this now on the record and remind you all when it happens; NOTHING will change, officiating will continue to be mediocre and crazy disciplinary decision will happen again and again as they have been for decades. Some of those future unfair decisions will affect other clubs, some will affect Wigan. The sport will be the loser, as it is now and YET nobody will hold their hand up and say we screwed up, we should have made a lasting change to the system when we had the opportunity and we blew it by having our heads in the sand.

Do not expect the owners to do it for you. They should but they will not. The owners struggle to agree on anything and everything with self interest reigning supreme.

Is it any wonder such a great sport/product has such a tiny niche/footprint and attracts ridiculously low financial investment. I feel sad for the players who give everything in such a tough sport with so little monetary reward and have no representation.

Interesting, player unions busy taking the players hard earned have been incredibly silent YET one of their own has been unjustly crucified.

RL players are truly Lions led by donkeys
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cp - please outline your approach. Not what you want, but how you would get it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:cp - please outline your approach. Not what you want, but how you would get it.
I or any other fan would be peeing in the wind. Collectively if enough fans are disgruntled then the voice of Joe Public has teeth. Ultimately though, it requires key organisation / stakeholders other than fans to stand up and affect change. The obvious one would be the players union.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Would it matter what video clips are shown, the RFL don't seem to consider slamming your elbow or forearm into someone's face as being a serious offence in any situation judging by the punishment dealt to Rangy Chase and Lance Hohia which is the proof of that.
They make a mockery of dealing out Grades for offences so they can reduce or increase a players punishment to suit their own personal take on the situation. That way favouritism to certain clubs and their owners can be assisted whilst curtailed on others that don't fit in with their corrupt regime.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mike wrote:cp - please outline your approach. Not what you want, but how you would get it.
I asked him a similar question and I am still waiting for a answer.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
I asked him a similar question and I am still waiting for a answer.
You both seem to be missing the point!! CP is allowed to say things in his opinion aren't right but why should he need to give an answer to how to solve it? I am sure he has ideas but are the RFL going to listen to a bloke on a forum? No. The point is the people who can actually influence change just seem to be passive and also people in certain jobs are not up to the task therefore they need replacing, I don't think it is for CP to hand out p45 slips do you?

'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
markill

Post by markill »

I've done my own review of decisions made this year, picking out any that are strange/inconsistent/seem unfair. I invited other RL fans to send me incidents they felt similarly about so cases I missed or wasn't upset enough about to include would be picked up too. But at the end of the day, as much as I wanted to remove my own bias, all the things in it will be my opinion and plenty of others will have their own opinions.

It would have been published on my podcast's blog already if it wasn't for the incident on Satrday meaning I had to make an addition (and the RFL not publishing full details of those cases on the website yet). I will be publishing it tonight or tomorrow so if people are interested I'll let them know where to find it.

Maybe the RFL won't listen to me as one fan. Maybe if others did something similar they would listen? Maybe if we do what CP has suggested and present such items to other bodies who could influence matters like the players union more could be done? The fundamental problem may still remain however, that we all want change, we all want more consistency, we all want more fairness, but we all have a different opinion on what those things are.

Ultimately, what I want is to be able to see an incident, look at the guidelines and be able to confidently predict what grading (not what ban necessarily) the MRP would give it on charge. Then to be able to read the notes on the decision the tribunal make and accept that they have covered all the relevant factors in making their decision. If that happens the process is fit for purpose - people will always disagree but at least we should feel a fair process has been followed. That possibly doesn't happen in every case at the moment and I think there should be a forum (if there isn't already) where club representatives can get explanations on occasions they are concerned this didn't happen. This would be clubs other than the one directly involved in the incident as they have the right to appeal any decision, a right that was only three times taken up by Super League clubs in 2014.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ah, I've found it - you tactics.

So you want key stake holders (i.e. chairmen, fans, players) to organise themselves and affect change.

Isn't that what I said?

I thought your gripe was that the club has not been publically slagging off the RFL?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Mike wrote:Ah, I've found it - you tactics.

So you want key stake holders (i.e. chairmen, fans, players) to organise themselves and affect change.

Isn't that what I said?

I thought your gripe was that the club has not been publically slagging off the RFL?
I never once said the club should publicly slag off the RFL, you dont need to they make themselves look ridiculous all on their own.

I have said that the way the RFL is run from top to bottom and regarding all aspects is not good enough and hasn't been for a very long time. The Flower incident and how that was managed was the cherry on the cake.

It is time the powers that can effect a change actually did and stopped being toothless. It might upset a few but so what, change is needed!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett