Hampshire

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
adiddy

Re: Hampshire

Post by adiddy »

Hampshire stand off +1

Matt
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Happy for all 3 to be given opportunities from 1 to 6 to 9. Logan will be the loser though.
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:Happy for all 3 to be given opportunities from 1 to 6 to 9. Logan will be the loser though.
Of the three who do people think is the best player?

Hampshire has a lot of speed and skill, which probably ranks him high in people's opinions as he is certainly eye catching. I'd be a little concerned about him being injury prone.

Powell probably understands the 'system' best and is the most like Green albeit not as good. He has started to show he is ready for regular top level half back play a number of times but then just not quite truly got there yet.

Williams for me is the best of the three. He has it all. If he plays more often than not next year he will be a front runner for young player of the year.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would say Hampshire is the most naturally gifted of the three but like you I am quite happy to see him being looked after to prevent injury / burn out. FB is a good fit at this time.

Williams is very highly rated, probably beyond the rest. My concern is how will his build/speed change as he ages. He is already a very 'solid' build. Hence, you can see a hooker or even a LF down the line?

Powell you look at him and perhaps struggle to see what other see etc BUT I always recall him leading GB Academy to victory over Aus. He has something which is less obvious than amazing athletic prowess but that might prove too similar to Matty Smith for the partnership to flourish.

Halfbacks will also be coming through the system too.

I prefer to be patient with halfbacks personally.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whelley Warrior wrote: Never said that Charnley would replace Bowen and judging by the lack of comment from other posters, it would appear that they understood
Whelley Warrior wrote:If true, it will be no different than Charnley a couple of seasons ago, who also was allowed to go on loan in order to get more first team game time to take over from Bowen
Slightly edited your post to remove the superfluous stuff but you DO say Charnley to replace Bowen. Please check what you type before posting if you don't like being "pulled" for it
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You can interpret Whelley's comment two ways. TBH I could understand what was said because Bowen wasn't on the scene when Charnley was at HKR, but then again I don't have a user name that may point to an arsey agenda!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:I would say Hampshire is the most naturally gifted of the three but like you I am quite happy to see him being looked after to prevent injury / burn out. FB is a good fit at this time.

Williams is very highly rated, probably beyond the rest. My concern is how will his build/speed change as he ages. He is already a very 'solid' build. Hence, you can see a hooker or even a LF down the line?

Powell you look at him and perhaps struggle to see what other see etc BUT I always recall him leading GB Academy to victory over Aus. He has something which is less obvious than amazing athletic prowess but that might prove too similar to Matty Smith for the partnership to flourish.

Halfbacks will also be coming through the system too.

I prefer to be patient with halfbacks personally.
Couldn't agree more. We need to bring them through slowly. As I have said many times Burrow and McGuire only became first team regulars at the age of 22. I think Hampshire and Williams are still only 19.Hampshire to HKR may be a good move for all IF a short term recall is inserted into the contract. As I see it Hampshire is first choice cover for Bowen AND in the running for the stand off position. Like CPW I can see Williams, Hampshire and Powell all competing for the 6 position. Williams and Powell are better developed physically but Hampshire has that blistering pace that cannot be coached. It's not a bad position for the club to be in but we need to be patient, remember what happened to Robinson and Brown.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The rumour maybe true, maybe not, who knows!

What I'm looking at is the first game of next season when we go to Widnes with their plastic pitch.
Waney & Bitcon don't like it and stand down players who they feel won't suit the playing surface.

Last time there Bowen didn't play and that suggests he won't play next February either. Dodgy knees maybe?
So who goes to full back?
Immediately I'd say Hampshire rather than Sarginson as Thornley won't be fit.
If Ryan is off to HKR then who would go fb, unless Thornley is recovering better than we know.
Anyone else there would be a risk as Kev Brown would bomb him all game with results which might not be too good for us.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Very anal. As I recall, AND NOT TOTALLY SURE, ,last time we played there MM broke his arm in the last minute,and so a key player missed a major part of the season. How does that happen in a non match. against a bottom side ,when points are not needed.Point is ,looks like poor discipline and management., Thats why we underperform.
mp
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

McIlorum broke his arm at home v Widnes and made his comeback in the away game at Widnes.