Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Wane

Post by cpwigan »

Aaron C. Rescue wrote:
sc74 wrote:He doesn't come across as the kind of person who listens to anyone. Sure he even said something to that effect on the Down Under dvd.
Smart people listen to smarter people.

A coach who listens to the fans ends up sitting with them.
I agree (I think it was quoted by Jack Gibson) Jack also used the quote; to make a mistake once is human, to make the same mistake twice is foolish.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

DaveO wrote:
Aaron C. Rescue wrote:
sc74 wrote:He doesn't come across as the kind of person who listens to anyone. Sure he even said something to that effect on the Down Under dvd.
Smart people listen to smarter people.

A coach who listens to the fans ends up sitting with them.
I am pretty sure sc74 wasn't suggesting he did listen to the fans.

It seems pretty clear to me though (and it's been something mentioned about his character when he was playing as well) that Wane is plain stubborn and a person who thinks he knows best all the time.

It's about being open to improving yourself by learning off others. Madge learned off Bellamy whereas Wane decided he knew better than Madge!

I think one way this manifests itself in him coming up with a game plan and expecting his players to fit into it rather than adopting his game plan to fit the personnel. It's "plan A or nothing".

I also think if you as a player don't fit in then regardless of the quality you will be frozen out.

Putting square pegs in round holes is the result of that with players playing out of position because Wane wants them to. It's only natural they want to be selected and they aren't going to be if they tell him they are not a full back or centre for example but it doesn't work well. I think the fact we have the likes of Farrell trying to be an enforcer and it spoiling his game is also part of doing what Wane says regardless of it making any sense.

I also thinks he believes his own propaganda in that he decides his young players are better or more ready than they are.

I think when he has put a team of kids out in the past he has genuinely believed he picked a side good enough to win matches we lost but we did lose and yet he carries on as if it's the players fault rather than his selections (and tactics).
You're right DaveO! I was thinking along the lines of smart, intelligent, educated former players from after his era. KR, for starters.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I hate it but Cunningham at Saints already has a better game plan and it is more like Madge would employ. Saints are direct and hard then once they got into the opp 20 they run 2 plays, crash tight to the POTB or second man lateral play (interestingly they run it deeper than Wigan where if anything we now hit it as flat / close to the line as possible)
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

cpwigan wrote:I hate it but Cunningham at Saints already has a better game plan and it is more like Madge would employ. Saints are direct and hard then once they got into the opp 20 they run 2 plays, crash tight to the POTB or second man lateral play (interestingly they run it deeper than Wigan where if anything we know hit it as flat / close to the line as possible)
When you put it like that its not rocket science is it?

Problem is Waney is not the sharpest knife in the box.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

mickw wrote:The way we do it is high risk hence we drop a lot of ball especially when the opposition are miles offside which is most of the time.
Surely that's to be expected though? All teams push things as much as possible, us included, and we should be able to adapt and change tactics as necessary.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Shock Horror ,Cunningham is directing Saints the way he lead them 10 or so years ago when they kicked us up the creek and ran off with the trophies. Who would believe it will now happen again/ with Pondyead in charge? You couldnt make it up.!!!
mp
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

menpond wrote:Shock Horror ,Cunningham is directing Saints the way he lead them 10 or so years ago when they kicked us up the creek and ran off with the trophies. Who would believe it will now happen again/ with Pondyead in charge? You couldnt make it up.!!!
Jesus Christ they have won 3 league games against Catalan who are crap on the road, Salford and Castleford, is your prematurity linked to your size obsession?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
menpond wrote:Shock Horror ,Cunningham is directing Saints the way he lead them 10 or so years ago when they kicked us up the creek and ran off with the trophies. Who would believe it will now happen again/ with Pondyead in charge? You couldnt make it up.!!!
Jesus Christ they have won 3 league games against Catalan who are crap on the road, Salford and Castleford, is your prematurity linked to your size obsession?
Thing is TBW you said it they have won 3. We have hardly played top draw opposition ourselves and have only mustered 1 win. Saints are by far from firing on all cylinders in the same way that leeds aren't, but both teams have found a way to win the games. Added to that they aren't going to sit around and wait for Wigan to catch up.

I think Catalan will be a different beast entirely this season, they have got progressively better and the addition of Carney makes them a real threat to us.

When you think of the top 4 situation, Saints and Leeds will both defo make the cut, that leaves 2 spaces. Wire, Us and Cats will be fighting for those 2 spaces and at the moment i think we are playing the poorest of the 3
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
menpond

Post by menpond »

Well Mr CP, the silver lining in Cunningham at Saints is if HE is successful and we continue to slide into chaos,then so much more pressure on IL TO SORT IT OUT. Getting beaten up 3 times a year by the enemy might crystallise the problem, and save a couple of wasted years? HOPE SO.
mp
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:what realy scares me is in Wanes after match interview he states he was PLEASED with the effort. My question is wich part.The thuggery? :(
And I'll bet Chris Chester was pleased with the effort.