Re: Will Wigan RL reach the top 4 this season?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:thing is i hear a lot of people spouting "its only 3 games in"
The other one I have seen is we are in a similar or even slightly better position this season than at the same time last season.

I can't say I have bothered to find out if that is true or not but even if it is, both these are head in the sand approaches in my opinion.

It sticks out like a sore thumb the team are all over the place and it isn't just a matter of getting into gear like perhaps it was last season.

If we don't make the four (and I don't think we will) it's results like Widnes and HKR that will he the reason. Games we should have won but threw away.

These are also the kind of results Wane said he wanted to eradicate when he took over. His view was under Madge we lost some league games we should easily have won. Well on that score Wane's record is even worse (and I don't just mean this season either we have blown similar games in previous seasons under him).

I hope we are not asking will we make the top 8 a few games down the track!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont think we will slip out the 8 but i agree with the sentiment DaveO. The only reason i dont think thats an issue is the strength of the league though.

I agree with what youre saying about it not just finding the right gear too. If you watched the leeds and Huddersfield game, hudds looked like a team that havent quite found the right gear yet, where-as we look more like Salford at present completely clueless.

There are some big cracks starting to appear in the team and it might be a pessimistic attitude to take and i really hope im wrong but something needs to change
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

yes i think we will. the only team im impressed with so far is catalan.

my top 4 in any order

wigan
stains
catalan
wire
IN WANE WE TRUST
markill

Post by markill »

I think we will make the top 4. We're playing poorly making too many mistakes, giving away too many penalties and yesterday missing too many tackles. We have top players. No one else of the top clubs are playing lights out brilliant and we've lost one game, away, in a league that is supposed to be tighter, by 2 points, when we made an embarrassing amount of mistakes.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Is this then not a season to re-build, or try out options?
Some suggestions like Williams and Hampshire in the halves, Dan at Fullback, Manfredi on the wing, Gildart in the centres, Josh in the centres, Greenwood with first team match time. Bateman and or Joel at Loose Foreward?
I am with you PM.I would also question is it also time for a new coach to take these youngsters forward.
Wane knows these youngsters probably more than any other coach, so should be able to judge their form and progression made.
Who would we get to replace Wane. Personally if Wigan were to take that route it would have to be another up and coming Aussie protégé, like Madge was with Bellamy at Melbourne Storm.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Is this then not a season to re-build, or try out options?
Some suggestions like Williams and Hampshire in the halves, Dan at Fullback, Manfredi on the wing, Gildart in the centres, Josh in the centres, Greenwood with first team match time. Bateman and or Joel at Loose Foreward?
I am with you PM.I would also question is it also time for a new coach to take these youngsters forward.
Wane knows these youngsters probably more than any other coach, so should be able to judge their form and progression made.
Who would we get to replace Wane. Personally if Wigan were to take that route it would have to be another up and coming Aussie protégé, like Madge was with Bellamy at Melbourne Storm.
Regarding using this season to try out options hasn't that luxury vanished now we have P&R back?

Points on the board in the league matter. I can't see Wane switching it about as much as he has in the past unless he has to.

Mind you with training ground injuries and the odd suspension if our discipline does not improve, he will probably have plenty of opportunities to experiment!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote: I am with you PM.I would also question is it also time for a new coach to take these youngsters forward.
Regarding using this season to try out options hasn't that luxury vanished now we have P&R back?

Points on the board in the league matter. I can't see Wane switching it about as much as he has in the past unless he has to.

Mind you with training ground injuries and the odd suspension if our discipline does not improve, he will probably have plenty of opportunities to experiment!
Do you think we would still end up in the Relegation battle trying out some other options like Hampshire and Wiliams in the halves and Sarginson at Fullback.
I don't think changes like this are too much of a gamble due to previous experience playing those positions with Hampshire and Williams plus Sarginson has already shown his capability at No1.