Re: Woefull Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

sc74 wrote:
JJ wrote: People keep on about We won the double with Wane, Yes Wane was in charge when we did but it was with the team Madge put together.
Wane's team haven't won anything
We are in danger of becoming a team of thugs which won't win anything and I don't want to go watching a team of thugs.

I know a lot of fans probably won't agree with me on this but this is my personal opinion.
I'll +1 that.
And to be fair, it wasn't the toughest road to the CC Final, was it?
How do you work out it was Madge's team? It was 2 years after he left!!

You can only go with the cup draw you are given so it should not devalue our win!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
BriH

Post by BriH »

The Hull game is a 'must win' game IMO.
I can't even think about a display as dire as the one v Cas.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

mario wrote:Still had to get there and win it.
We then went onto win the grand final, having to beat the top 3 on the way and in the final.
Much like today, most of this message board was calling Wane clueless, whilst on the way to the double.
He must be incredibly lucky to have done what he has done, without buying in major signings, like the rest of superleague and not knowing what he is doing.
There is only McDermott with a comparable record and he went through the same slating from his own fans
Absolutely, but he didn't defend it very well, did he?
Yes, he does produce some big play-off wins but he needs to get the team up for all of the games.
I think the loss of ST & PR is bigger than anyone could have imagined.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Waneball is great when it works but it fails FAR MORE than it works or will ever work.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

cpwigan wrote:Waneball is great when it works but it fials FAR MORE than it works or will ever work.
And they've all sussed it out!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

sc74 wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Waneball is great when it works but it fials FAR MORE than it works or will ever work.
And they've all sussed it out!
APART FROM WANE HIMSELF :eusa4:
sc74

Post by sc74 »

An analogy:

The CEO at one of the main supermarket comes in and has a cracking first couple of years. Then things start to go pear-shaped. Some think he's got too big for his boots and pig-headed. He regularly makes outlandish statements and has a reputation for being a bit of an old school bully.

What on earth would happen to him? Would the shareholders just sit back and say, "Well look what he did 2 years ago! I love him no matter what".

It is a multi-million pound business as well as something that many people hold close to their hearts. Be very careful of sitting back and letting others flourish, on the hope that things'll get better, soon. Every time Wigan lose, someone else wins.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

sc74 wrote:An analogy:

The CEO at one of the main supermarket comes in and has a cracking first couple of years. Then things start to go pear-shaped. Some think he's got too big for his boots and pig-headed. He regularly makes outlandish statements and has a reputation for being a bit of an old school bully.

What on earth would happen to him? Would the shareholders just sit back and say, "Well look what he did 2 years ago! I love him no matter what".

It is a multi-million pound business as well as something that many people hold close to their hearts. Be very careful of sitting back and letting others flourish, on the hope that things'll get better, soon. Every time Wigan lose, someone else wins.
Good post sc74. I am more pro-Wane than you are, but not to the point of "I love him no matter what". (A face only a mother could love?)

I am reaching a point of questionning if Wane is the man for us. What difference has Harris going made? Is Wane capable of adapting quick enough as other teams learn how to counter our style? I'm unsure on these and other questions.

I do think that 4 matches in is too soon to sack him though. Posts about the Cas game talked about "another penalty" - in fact the final penalty count was 8 all. My point? Fans get understandably over-excited, and it does seem that Wane has reeled in our previous record of conceding too many penalties, so he CAN change. It was errors and poor defending that made us so bad v Cas, and poor defence has not been something he's been accused of too often, even on here!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: I do think that 4 matches in is too soon to sack him though.

I think for some peple the writing has been on the wall for a lot longer than four games. The loss to Cas in the cup last year was just as poor.

Getting to the GF had Wane forgiven for quite a few dross performances last season but they were still there.

Similar conversations were had about Noble. It was obvious to me he was taking us nowhere fast long before a lot of others were ready to accept it.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I don't think Shaun is woeful, however the team's performances have been and it's his responsibility to put it right. The "Worst night of his coaching career" says all we need to know on his team's performance at Cas.
I'll bet he didn't get too much sleep Friday night!

What he has to do IMO is get the team to regain control of games. Maguire transformed the way the team played and this showed in defence especially.

When the opposition were in possession we put in 3-4 man tackles, not to big hit or smash them but to gain control.
The ball carrier was tackled with two/three men holding him while one man clamped the ball. They then held him up off the ground and turn him until it was known he'd land on his back.
The referee can't call "held" until the ball carrying arm hits the ground or his progress is halted.
Wigan players used to allow the ball carrier to move forward and sacrifice a yard or two so they were in control and land him on his back and then were in control of the tackle and the ptb. Inadvertantly, or purposefully, they were also in control of the referee as he couldn't call "held" as the ball carrying arm hadn't hit the floor and the man was still moving forward no matter how slowly or short distance.

Maguire was in charge but Shaun was asst coach.
I do think if we are to regain form then this method has to be re-introduced. Shouldn't be too difficult as Shaun knows it as do some of our forwards who were around in 2010/11 such as Mossop, Faz, Lockers, MicMac and Joel.

How often did we hear tv and radio commentators say "Wigan are strangling the life out of "N"s attack by their tackling". That has disappeared and needs to be re-introduced.

We probably have the fastest backs in SL who are being exposed and made to look poor. Our halves haven't a prayer when the forwards are not in control and dominating the opposition.

Shaun has said it's going to be a tough week. Probably, but they have to get it right off the training field as much as on it if this sort of form is to be turned around.
As I said, I don't believe Shaun is woeful, this though is the biggest test he's had by far as coach of the first team. I hope he gets it right for all our sakes especially his own!