Bryan Fletcher

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
x Wigan Warrior x

Re: Bryan Fletcher

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Weight and speed !!! Props are not as old. Why have a slow lumbering heavy weight, when a quicker light heavy weight will do ? After all in the beginning a props weight was essential for a scrum ……… hardly need that now do we ?
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

If hes playing at the top of his game which he is, he played origin last season, then he is the sort of player we need, a big strong back rower with experience, he isnt a gamble or a waste of an overseas spot, he is genuinly a world class player, age isnt such a big problem with forwards as long as they are fit, which he is. Playing to a high standard until they are 32-33 is a regular thing these days, so im not worried by his age.

Where as with Davico it was a gamble giving he was out all season and was 31, Fletcher is a younger, and is fit as a fiddle and playing awsome in a bad team.
He was great at Sydney Roosters a few years back and hes carried that on for Souths.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

x Wigan Warrior x posted:
Weight and speed !!! Props are not as old. Why have a slow lumbering heavy weight, when a quicker light heavy weight will do ? After all in the beginning a props weight was essential for a scrum ……… hardly need that now do we ?
what sort of question is that ?
So youre telling me that Paul Anderson, Joe Vagana, O'connor or Craig Smith are no better for their size than say a 15 stone prop, dont talk garbage. Size is everything as long as they are mobile and fit, it takes so much energy bringing down an 18 stone guy compared to sombody like Cassidy for 80 minutes. It just tires teams out like it did to us against bradford at home, we where just dead on our feet.

Its obvious that a heavier guy will make more yards in the collisons than a lighter guy.
Sorry but I just cant see the logic in your post.

pedro

Post by pedro »

got to disagree. Fielden is lighter than all these but is still twice the prop. Strengh not weight counts. Look at fatty BAynes at salford he must be tippin 30 stone :) yet couldnt burst his way through a paper bag. Playing with the intensity of the NRL every week in the forwards ina ny position will do for me.

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

pedro posted:
got to disagree. Fielden is lighter than all these but is still twice the prop. Strengh not weight counts. Look at fatty BAynes at salford he must be tippin 30 stone :) yet couldnt burst his way through a paper bag. Playing with the intensity of the NRL every week in the forwards ina ny position will do for me.
You choose a guy whos 6ft3 and over 17 stone to prove your point, that just proved my point really, thanks, thats what I was trying to say.

Baynes isnt mobile is he, hes a fat tub of lard who isnt very fit, so thats a bad example also.

Theres also plenty of strong guys out there, look at Connolly hes as srong as they come, but he isnt heavy enough to be a forward.
If your theory was correct Super League would be full of 14 stone forwards who where just strong as hell, but it isnt is it. Apart from our back row maybe, and that proves my point yet again.

Like I said, as long as hes fit and mobile, a good big un will do a better job than a good little un, especially in the forwards.

There are exceptions of course to every rule, look at Thackary for Hull last night, but im saying in general terms

You get 2 guys who runs his hardest, the bigger guy will make more yards and take more energy to bring down time after time, you cant argue with that so dont bother.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

pedro posted:
Look at fatty BAynes at salford he must be tippin 30 stone :) yet couldnt burst his way through a paper bag.
He's on loan at Whitehaven at the moment and is proving a big hit there. He is definately not the fittest but he breaks tackles because of his size.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Doesnt take any more energy to hit him low and hard like you should trust me.

Connoly won arm wrestling comps means nothing really does it. The vaganas and andersons do nothing when you hit em right look at the aussies. Its the more mobile guys that do the business. It shows week in and week out there.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

[quote]pedro posted:
I think we play better with 3 props than 4 anyway. It makes us play the game up the middle which we have no size for.

That quote is taken form another thread, so which is it gonna be ? you really need to decide one way or the other if your gonna discuss it with us.
pedro

Post by pedro »

He's on loan at Whitehaven at the moment and is proving a big hit there. He is definately not the fittest but he breaks tackles because of his size.[/quote]

In the NFP. Even Rob Ball and Ricky Bibey are good there
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

pedro posted:
Doesnt take any more energy to hit him low and hard like you should trust me.

Connoly won arm wrestling comps means nothing really does it. The vaganas and andersons do nothing when you hit em right look at the aussies. Its the more mobile guys that do the business. It shows week in and week out there.
I played rugby thanks, so dont patronise me. So the whole thinking that bigger forwards are better is wrong is it ?

So guys like Willie Mason, Trent Waterhouse, Jason Ryles, Craig Fitzgibbon, Mark O'meley, Petro Civonceva, Brad Thorn to name but a few would be just as good if they where 2 stone lighter but just as strong ?

You choose a point that ive used myself as an arguement agasinst what ive said, that they need to be mobile as well as big.