Sandow

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Re: Sandow

Post by cpwigan »

Not really. When shoulder charges were allowed he was on par with Tommy Lu Lu. Without the charge he is an okay defender. At his best he is actually very good as an attacker / half back but he goes missing in more games than he plays at his best. He has talent incl a decent kicking game. His biggest battle though has been a physical one in terms of weight and several coaches have bested(?) him to get him fitter. Madge got shut at SS!

He might be fine in SL but the NRL saw him have one great game followed by several innocuous ones.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Should clubs be allowed to sign players for the Super 8's or should there be a rule that they should have played a number of games in the 23 game competition to qualify?

Reminds me of when Leeds signed Senior on the eve of the play off competition a few seasons ago and a rule was introduced to stop that happening at the business end of the season.

East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I agree Whelley W it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole competition.

Hopefully this "loophole" will be plugged for next year (unless we sign Inglis, Slater and Thurston)
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Wire and Andrew Johns?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think the suggestion is correct BUT I do think somehow we need to get the transfer system working against; it generates media / fan interest.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

What is the point of clubs registering squads of twenty five players or more and having back up Academies to cover for injuries/suspensions if when it gets to the business end of the season and the second phase of fixtures, they are allowed to sign players who have hardly played or not played at all in the first phase.

It may create media interest as cpwigan says, but in my book it stinks of clubs taking advantage of a lack of thinking by those at the RFL when they considered the new system and did not make it a rule that all players who take part in the second phase of fixtures must have played in a certain number of games or a deadline for signings earlier in the first phase.

Take notice that it is the other bigger clubs like Leeds., St Helens and Warrington who have found the finance to do it within the Salary Cap and Wigan to their credit have played fair with their players who have played in the season so far by not taking advantage of something that is wrong.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I just think it's a disgrace! It should never have been allowed that you can sign a player part way thru a season. The squad you present at the start should be the squad at the end.

I know some will say but what about if you got someone with a season ending injury? Well we've had several of those & we have managed with the lads in the squad...... I think :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

josie andrews wrote:I just think it's a disgrace! It should never have been allowed that you can sign a player part way thru a season. The squad you present at the start should be the squad at the end.

I know some will say but what about if you got someone with a season ending injury? Well we've had several of those & we have managed with the lads in the squad...... I think :wink:
Do you mean like Matty Smith, Joel Tomkins, Ian Thornley :D
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Should clubs be allowed to sign players for the Super 8's or should there be a rule that they should have played a number of games in the 23 game competition to qualify?

Reminds me of when Leeds signed Senior on the eve of the play off competition a few seasons ago and a rule was introduced to stop that happening at the business end of the season.
Yes, I think there should be a rule. Seems unfair to me on the top Championship teams that bottom SL clubs are signing players left/right/centre for the Qualifiers.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

standishcat wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Should clubs be allowed to sign players for the Super 8's or should there be a rule that they should have played a number of games in the 23 game competition to qualify?

Yes, I think there should be a rule. Seems unfair to me on the top Championship teams that bottom SL clubs are signing players left/right/centre for the Qualifiers.
Totally agree. Think that Championship sides if wanted should have the same cap as SL teams and Marquee player if they can show they can afford it.