Re: Super 8s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Consistency is the key and it's not one of our traits!
It will take an unbelievable change to get to OT!?!
It not really though is it. We could win half of the super 8 games, finish top 4 and have to turn up for one game and be in the final.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
Mike wrote:We get a max of 4 home games. Even if we finish top we'd get 3 away games.
I find it all very confusing ???? Why can't they leave well alone :(
You are right Josie, some questions need addressing by the RFL to supporters on who plays who at home and away under the Super 8 format.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

AdamMac wrote:
It not really though is it. We could win half of the super 8 games, finish top 4 and have to turn up for one game and be in the final.
Given we'll have four away games to reach top four then your right despite the simplicity.
Saints, Leeds, Wire and possibly Cats away is a bit more than turning up for one game!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exciting Times

With just two regular Super League rounds left the 2015 Super League competition continues to be the most enthralling so far.

11 of the 12 Super League teams can currently make the Super Eights, all eight teams currently in the top eight can finish in the top four and secure a bonus home game whilst one of three teams, including Wigan, can still finish top.

The final league positions after 23 rounds could prove vital in who makes the Semi Finals as the race for Old Trafford starts to hot up.

The higher the team finishes the kinder the Super 8s fixtures are to them.

The Super 8s fixtures are already set by a matrix and as the table stands today Wigan (3rd) would face the teams that finish 4th, 5th 7th & 8th at home (Huddersfield, Castleford, Catalans & Hull FC) with away games against the teams in 1st, 2nd and 6th (Leeds, St Helens & Warrington).

The Super 8s fixtures and dates will be announced on Wednesday 29 July 2015.

An interactive spreadsheet has been developed so fans can keep up to date with who will play who and where in the Super 8s.

To download that spreadsheet CLICK HERE

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... SkwUHOU.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
AdamMac wrote:
Given we'll have four away games to reach top four then your right despite the simplicity.
Saints, Leeds, Wire and possibly Cats away is a bit more than turning up for one game!!
Not really. we can lose all those away games. Win the home ones like we have all season and it comes down to a one off game to make the GF.

Should be top 2 after all reg rounds AND super 8's go straight into the GF for me.

Now that would reward consistency

Wandering Warrior

If you say so.
Hope your dreams come true cos I'll be happy with that.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Before the weekend games and we stay in 3rd place as the tables are these are what the games we would play

Home

Huddersfield
Catalans
Castleford
Hull FC

Away

St Helens
Leeds
Warrington
Wandering Warrior

AdamMac wrote:
As I said consistency!
Leeds put 34 up Salford at ht and we have been absolutely outstanding haven't we?
Get real OT is a dream in my opinion.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

You are right WW , Old Trafford this year is just a dream .
The way were playing we won t reach the semis .

The way we ve played this season makes me scratch my head .
We haven t got a move in us , Yet we won against Stains leeds and Wire ( albeit at home ) . Our forwards got bullied at Wire , i m not going to mention the debacle at Cas and Catalans .

Our play , more recently against Salford and Widnes , was nothing short of dreadful .

The only way IL will act if it starts costing him money , We re already out of the cup , and heading towards another barren year .
curryman

Post by curryman »

I cannot see us reaching OT either, Leeds and Stains seem way ahead. Except....

We do seem to play better against the top teams and in the knock out phases.

I keep thinking back to Brisbane Broncos game. Ignore the stupid golden point bit, after 80 minutes we drew with them and they are top of the ladder in the NRL so far this season.

But then we lose at Wakefield.

We've beaten Leeds twice already this season, but we've lost at Salford and KR.

Ultimately we should win four more home games, so should make the semi finals. Then its one more occasion to rise to and we're in the GF again.