2016 Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: 2016 Squad

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Sorry, but like the squad we have now it won't be good enough. I'd love to be wrong though.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

The player I think could come in and make a real difference either with or without Sargison and/or Bateman around is Shenton.

We are crying out for a quality centre and he makes the Cas back line much more dangerous than they should be, thoughts on him as a player rather than whether we will sign him troops?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Shenton wouldn't move home when he was at Saints.
That would be of the deal if he came to Wigan, hence the reason I think it's a non starter.
A good player though and in form.
We really do need to be looking at bringing in a quality centre, where from I don't know but we certainly need one.
Has Dean Collis retired? always thought he was good for Wakey.

Personnally I was disappointed when Ben Crooks signed for Cas. Was very impressed with him at Hull and thought that with a better club and coaches he could have done very well at Wigan.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'd be interested to hear what those "in the know" think about Liam Bretherton's prospects. I only saw him in the Academy GF at Headingley, 2013 IIRC. He came on as sub and looked impressive. I guess he'd be 17 then?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

That squad looks thin to me and we may yet see Lockers retire at the end of this season. Has anything more been said on that front?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I really think that it will be important to have a squad who play the game in the right spirit, never foul on and off the ball, never utter dissent and are a credit to the game.
Therefore I would like to see us sign the following:

Ashton Syms
Ben Westwood
Jamie Jones-Buchanan
Ryan Bailey
Travis Burns
Jamie Peacock
Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook
Carl Ablett
Jon Wilkin

I'm sure I've missed a few outstanding sportsmen so feel free to add.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Have we under IL apart from Sam announced a player coming to us if the side that player is playing for is still involved in their respective competition.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Tautai last year springs to mind, Pettybourne IIRC. Think Scott Taylor was September 2012 but not 100%.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Tautai last year springs to mind, Pettybourne IIRC. Think Scott Taylor was September 2012 but not 100%.
Were these sides out of all competitions - could not win anything and not playing us again. I do not think we announce unless players season is effectively over
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

thegimble wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Tautai last year springs to mind, Pettybourne IIRC. Think Scott Taylor was September 2012 but not 100%.
Were these sides out of all competitions - could not win anything and not playing us again. I do not think we announce unless players season is effectively over
Wigan's preferred tactic is to announce that there will be an announcement!