Team Selection v Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Team Selection v Saints

Post by Owd Codger »

Perhaps its because like other clubs, the Coach prefers to alternate the Hookers.

Most of the clubs in the Super League do it and it has nothing to do with being a favourite of the Coach.

Other players, especially Props are alternated as well during games.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Perhaps its because like other clubs, the Coach prefers to alternate the Hookers.

Most of the clubs in the Super League do it and it has nothing to do with being a favourite of the Coach.

But do we think that it is the best choice for our team?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Perhaps its because like other clubs, the Coach prefers to alternate the Hookers.

I am not a Coach, so perhaps you should ask them why it is now done in the game!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:

I am not a Coach, so perhaps you should ask them why it is now done in the game!
It is done to ensure that the player is competing at the optimum level during his time on the pitch. The question is, are we better MM playing at 90% for the duration of a game and selecting another forward on the bench, or is it preferable to bring on Sam Powell to rest Mickey and introduce a slightly different attacking option whilst forgoing an extra prop or backrow forward?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Wane know we are a better team with MM playing the 80. But he's learnt from his mistakes. In his first season in charge MM played most of the season doing the 80 and was totally burnt out towards the end. I've no doubt that MM will do the 80 if we make the GF or if we play Leeds in the semi IIRC MM has played the full 80 against Leeds at home and at magic?

I wouldn't critise how wane is using MM or if he knows what he is doing and how best to use him, but yes I agree he got the use of Gelling/Gildart/Patrick wrong.

We are at our strongest with MM playing the 80 and a bench loaded with props and a back rower. He will go this way in the semi/final.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

AdamMac wrote:Wane know we are a better team with MM playing the 80. But he's learnt from his mistakes. In his first season in charge MM played most of the season doing the 80 and was totally burnt out towards the end. I've no doubt that MM will do the 80 if we make the GF or if we play Leeds in the semi IIRC MM has played the full 80 against Leeds at home and at magic?

I wouldn't critise how wane is using MM or if he knows what he is doing and how best to use him, but yes I agree he got the use of Gelling/Gildart/Patrick wrong.

We are at our strongest with MM playing the 80 and a bench loaded with props and a back rower. He will go this way in the semi/final.
Agreed!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett