Sam out of Test series

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sam out of Test series

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Kittwazzer wrote:Surely his medical condition would have been fully evaluated before IL stumped up the cash to get him back?
you would think so

the only question mark being that Wane and Sam seem to share a very strong bond - is he looking out for him?

CP put a video of Sam T highlights from his time in oz in offtopic, i watched it, was impressive (as all highlight reels are) although there was one clip that bothered me, there is a bit where he breaks a tackle in his own 20 and goes on a run only to been easily run down by a 2nd rower.

He looks a lot slower to me than he was when he was here
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Kittwazzer wrote:Surely his medical condition would have been fully evaluated before IL stumped up the cash to get him back?
Wouldn't be the first crocked player signed under dubious circumstances
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

butt monkey wrote:
Wouldn't be the first crocked player signed under dubious circumstances
Indeed. But they usually sign for St Helens!
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Would have thought that the first thing Wigan would have done was get a proper assessment of the injury before he joined up with England. Who's been advising/monitoring his condition? Wouldn't be at all surprised if the next news is that he needs to have an operation and will be out until April! At the very least it looks as if he's going to miss a significant part of pre-season!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The 26-year-old, who re-joins Wigan Warriors for the 2016 Super League season, will now return to the north-west to be assessed by the Club’s medical team and a leading knee Consultant in order to plan his treatment and recovery.

Wigan Chairman Ian Lenagan commented:

“There was a good chance that the recent rehabilitation programme could have allowed Sam to recover completely and play for a long time without any complications; however, on returning to full training, the problem has unfortunately resurfaced.

"The rehabilitation programme has been beneficial in strengthening Sam’s knee and he will now return to Wigan and be reassessed by a leading knee Consultant. We will then know what the next medical action will be.

"Our priority is a proper and permanent solution that ensures Sam’s long-term health and fitness.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... -of-series
Sadly, it doesn't sound too good! Knees!!! Ruin many a career :(

And it raised fears he will miss the start of Warriors’ Super League season in three months’ time – and the World Club Series match against Brisbane.

Tomkins, 26, may discover the extent of the injury – and a likely recovery time-frame – within the next few days.

If he is sidelined, Wigan may decide to pull the plug on Ryan Hampshire’s proposed loan move to Castleford. All parties are thought to have agreed the move, which has yet to be confirmed.

But the Warriors could exploit an option to recall the 20-year-old, who played 15 games last season – many from full-back.

Coach Shaun Wane has other possible alternatives for the role.

Centre Dan Sarginson, who himself missed the end of the season with a knee injury, has impressed in his few outings in the No.1 position.

And with teenager Oliver Gildart doing so well in the left-centre role at the back-end of last season, that could be a realistic option.

Utility back Lewis Tierney can also play in the position.

Tomkins took to social media to say he was “gutted” to miss the Test series against the Kiwis, which starts at Hull this Sunday.

He originally suffered the knee problem playing for New Zealand Warriors in August.He was hopeful he would recover in time to play in this upcoming Test series, but the problem resurfaced during training on Tuesday.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... 1-7543065?
What treatment, if any, did he receive whilst still at the NZ Warriors?

Was it known then, when or before the injury, that he would leaving NZ & be returning to the UK?

????????????

I sincerely hope he makes a full & speedy recovery to be the asset he was when with us previously
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

craig87x wrote:I'm worried the Sam T we're getting back isn't going to be the same player he was when he left us... He wouldn't be the 1st top quality player to have injury effectively ruin his career, certainly top level career anyway.

If he can't recover fully and/or isn't the player he once was, should we persist with him out of loyalty or move him on again if it doesn't work out?

The more I dwell on this problem the more worried I become. Have we been sold a "pup" God forbid! Seeing other fans of a similar mind only adds to the worry If we don't get what we believe we're buying we owe him nothing. "Loyalty doesn't enter into the equation. Move him on. Someone please give us some good news to allay our worst fears : :(
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

We need to make certain that we have sufficient cover at fullback or next season could be very disappointing. I'm not sure that Sam will be playing fullback for much longer even if he recovers fully. Sarge may have been the answer last season but of course he's now injured long term and won't be able to use the preseason to prepare for a new role. On top of that he's leaving anyway so it's probably better to find an alternative. Rocky is the obvious choice but is he good enough at fullback? I'm yet to be convinced but would be very pleased to be proved wrong. I don't think that Lewis made sufficient progress last season and next season must surely be too soon for Gabe Fell? If our only major signing for next season has serious injury problems who fancies our chances of winning anything?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southportcdm wrote:We need to make certain that we have sufficient cover at fullback or next season could be very disappointing. I'm not sure that Sam will be playing fullback for much longer even if he recovers fully. Sarge may have been the answer last season but of course he's now injured long term and won't be able to use the preseason to prepare for a new role. On top of that he's leaving anyway so it's probably better to find an alternative. Rocky is the obvious choice but is he good enough at fullback? I'm yet to be convinced but would be very pleased to be proved wrong. I don't think that Lewis made sufficient progress last season and next season must surely be too soon for Gabe Fell? If our only major signing for next season has serious injury problems who fancies our chances of winning anything?
Sarge has been back in training & started running a few weeks ago.

Plus, he is still with us for next season! Beyond that, I think he will move on :(
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
southportcdm wrote:We need to make certain that we have sufficient cover at fullback or next season could be very disappointing. I'm not sure that Sam will be playing fullback for much longer even if he recovers fully. Sarge may have been the answer last season but of course he's now injured long term and won't be able to use the preseason to prepare for a new role. On top of that he's leaving anyway so it's probably better to find an alternative. Rocky is the obvious choice but is he good enough at fullback? I'm yet to be convinced but would be very pleased to be proved wrong. I don't think that Lewis made sufficient progress last season and next season must surely be too soon for Gabe Fell? If our only major signing for next season has serious injury problems who fancies our chances of winning anything?

Plus, he is still with us for next season! Beyond that, I think he will move on :(
Josie, you may be right about Sarginson moving on when you look at the decision to promote young Gildart at the business end of the season and before that the fact that there had been ample opportunity to have played him at the time Tomkins was filling the centre positions with Gelling.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

Josie, you may be right about Sarginson moving on when you look at the decision to promote young Gildart at the business end of the season and before that the fact that there had been ample opportunity to have played him at the time Tomkins was filling the centre positions with Gelling.
Sarge was seriously injured when Joel played centre in his place :)