Andy Farrell Return

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Andy Farrell Return

Post by Mike »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
For that you can hardly blame Andy, but at the same time the fact remains that a potential Rugby League Star and International was taken away from our game.

p.s. And I am not the only one in Wigan who has that opinion!

Harsh. He'd practically retired.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
For that you can hardly blame Andy, but at the same time the fact remains that a potential Rugby League Star and International was taken away from our game.

Mike, I think WW is referring to Owen not Andy.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Mike wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

Ah, makes sense. A very "conspiracy theory" reason to dislike someone though IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Could do a turn as kicking coach, get 2 or 3 of the players kicking
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

One of my favourite players but as a coach? I am not sure what he has got to offer.

Unlike Edwards who I think would dedicate himself in getting up to speed with modern RL coaching and would not assume he could just walk into a job here without doing so, Farrell doesn't strike me as one to show the same obsessive dedication.

I am not saying he would not do his best but for players out of the game for some time my money would always be on Edwards to make a go of a return to RL as a coach.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The only criterion our club - aspiring as we do to be the best in the world - should apply is "is Mr X the best man for the job?"
While I can just about see an argument for Edwards, with an NRL assistant, given the sort of person we know he is and how he has gone about his work on the other side, I cannot see it for Farrell.
Looking at our recent coaches, it took too long, but IL eventually woke up sufficiently to Noble's shortcomings to put in place MaGuire. Replacing him with Wane was initially vindicated, and justified by his fantastic track record developing young players, and his immersion in the game and the club. If Wane fails to win anything again in '16 he must be replaced, at which point we must look first and foremost to the NRL. They have the best competition, the best coaching techniques and the best gene pool of talent. It would be madness to look to anyone but Edwards in RU for our next coach.
In the meantime, having Bitcom or an equivalent Englishman is fine, as we are among the best in the world at fitness and sports science generally.
Finally, in any event, Wane's assistant coach should be someone with NRL experience, but that seems unlikely (having written that, has Winder some experience Down Under?)
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mike wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Mike wrote: Harsh. He'd practically retired.
Ah, makes sense. A very "conspiracy theory" reason to dislike someone though IMO.
So what is your opinion on what Farell did and should he be a Coach at Wigan?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Mike wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Mike, I think WW is referring to Owen not Andy.
I had no problem with him leaving when he did. I'd have no problem with him being a coach at Wigan if the club decided that was a good option.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mike wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
Mike wrote: Ah, makes sense. A very "conspiracy theory" reason to dislike someone though IMO.
I had no problem with him leaving when he did. I'd have no problem with him being a coach at Wigan if the club decided that was a good option.
Mike, can suggest you look at the thread on Wigan Today on the same subject.

No, I have not made any comment!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

PorterjohLam wrote:He'll be back just after Good Friday as our new coach.
And sacked the Tuesday after Easter for losing a game.