Best position for Sam T?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior20

Re: Best position for Sam T?

Post by Warrior20 »

If he is starting off the bench the best place for him against Hull FC is stand off. He could come on for Powell and Williams could move to hooker for a spell. This would mean we aren't moving the team around too much while easing him back.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Given Smith offers nothing and Sam is a senior player I'd love to see him at 6 and Williams at 7.

That just seems far more threatening to me than what we have now.

Sarge could stay at FB.

I think we'd gain more from my suggestion than just swapping him for Sarge as I expect Wane will do. If we do that we still end up with one half back who Hull don't need to worry about.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

I always saw him as a Shaun Edwards re-incarnate. His timing and decision making skills are impeccable.I dont think anyone could match Edwards kicking game but he could learn. Number 7 all day for me.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

menpond

Post by menpond »

Edwards had the Force . Does Smith???
mp
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

menpond wrote:Edwards had the Force . Does Smith???
That's an easy answer, no!
Tomkins and Williams would be very interesting. Maybe Tomkins could bring a bit more out of Smith but I think we all know he'll be playing FB?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If Smith and Williams can combine, create space/an overlap, then Tomkins best position will be at Fullback.

If Smith and Williams cannot create space than Tomkins will be completely at waste at Fullback coming in the line on the outskirts.

I think the latter will happen to be honest.

At a club like Wigan, who train players the same throughout all age groups, we should be showing a little more ability in attack. The game plans should be the same no matter who is in the team to some degree. The inability to ship the ball wide and not create space is down to coaching tactics rather than players available.

St Helens managed it with Wilkins, Wellens, Turner at halfback, so why can't we with even better...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

Full back for me Wigan have struggled with the full back currently coming in the line at the wrong time and place. This in turn has pushed the centres and wingers out and rapidly closing down there space hence Wigan has bombed many chances with Sarg ending up either going in touch or throwing a pass to no one. When he has got it right Wigan have scored or made distance up the pitch. This has also been the same when Tierney has player at FB too.

At 6 although he has the skills to play there he may not always have the space to use them now he will have possibly lost the quick standing start he had before.

Where ever he plays in either role we ink he will give it his all.
SJ

Post by SJ »

thegimble wrote:at 6 with Smith at 7.

Interchange Powell and Williams for hooker.
Sounds good to me gimble "it's the future "
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

menpond wrote:Edwards had the Force . Does Smith???
Ask Yoda!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sam is first a runner which is why he is best suited to FB but that is not to say he could not drop in the halves. Long time ago but Parra used to play Sterling at half with the call then drop him to FB for defence where Taylor would do all the tackling required.

Interesting call is do you opt to start with Sam this week or bring him on from the bench? Pros and cons both ways