THE NEW MATTY SMITH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: THE NEW MATTY SMITH

Post by Southern Softy »

He didn't have the best start to the season (but was definitely not alone in the respect) and has now come back to very good form. Now that we have a choice of tactical kickers helps a lot and the combination of Smith, Williams, O'Loughlin and Tomkins (and others, obviously) means that we always look dangerous near the opposition line.
Case closed, one would hope.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Is this not the case of the rumour of Matty Smith leaving and going to Saints and all of a sudden a player when leaving goes to legendary status from crap in a week.

And his replacement been TL and people now realise that Smith is and has been a decent player all along. Especially as his replacement has no kicking game.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Replacing Smith with Tommy Lauluai isn't just mad it's absolutely howling, barking mad!
Smith has been an ever present this season and last when every pivot around him has failed in regard to fitness.

TL's no pace, no kicking game, not a talker, not a leader so what's the point?
Have the club forgotten that when TL got the ball on the 6th the crowd groaned in the sure and certain knowledge that the kick would either go on the full into the opposition's hands or on the full in to touch.
TL's big tackling strength, the shoulder charge tackle, is now illegal.
We need a half back coach, TL would probably very good at that. As for playing, forget it!

Smith has carried this team all season with all the club's experienced pivots out injured. To get rid of him for yet another injury prone pivot seems daft beyond words.
Smith should stay.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Toomy is gone and it should stay that way.

Matty whilst not idea is okay provided the team areon top.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Replacing Smith with Tommy Lauluai isn't just mad it's absolutely howling, barking mad!
Smith has been an ever present this season and last when every pivot around him has failed in regard to fitness.

Have the club forgotten that when TL got the ball on the 6th the crowd groaned in the sure and certain knowledge that the kick would either go on the full into the opposition's hands or on the full in to touch.
We need a half back coach, TL would probably very good at that. As for playing, forget it!

Smith has carried this team all season with all the club's experienced pivots out injured. To get rid of him for yet another injury prone pivot seems daft beyond words.
Smith should stay.
Totally agree :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Replacing Smith with Tommy Lauluai isn't just mad it's absolutely howling, barking mad!

Smith should stay.
I don't agree with you Ted regarding Tommy as a talker and leader, as he been doing it constantly in games I've watched him play for NZ Warriors lately, I'd also hazard a guess that he'd beat matty Smith in a foot race over 30m or 90m.
I do agree that his kicking game maybe isn't his strengths, especially field goals and longer distance kicking, however, Sam Tomkins is a better long range in play kicker than both of them.
I'd still have Tommy over matty at the drop of a hat.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Panchitta Marra wrote:

Smith should stay.
I don't agree with you Ted regarding Tommy as a talker and leader, as he been doing it constantly in games I've watched him play for NZ Warriors lately, I'd also hazard a guess that he'd beat matty Smith in a foot race over 30m or 90m.
I do agree that his kicking game maybe isn't his strengths, especially field goals and longer distance kicking, however, Sam Tomkins is a better long range in play kicker than both of them.
So just a question and who'd be our place kicker if Smith goes ? Remember Josh is off as well. Not a simple replacement for Matty in that case, as we'd need to sign a new kicker as well, with all the complexities of his new position plus Salary Cap implications.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Matty smith did not carry the team when the injury crisis hit he went missing in several matches I've never seen as many forwards kick a ball in my life as when williams was out.

He still has all the faults he had before tomkins and williams return the difference is they are doing a lot more of the work and making him look better

however TL is not the answer either too old and too many hard matches under his belt. He was better for us at hooker than he was at scrum half.

If smith goes we should move williams to 7 and bring in quality 6, trouble being they are thin on the ground when available without putting sound £££ in.

If its a choice between keeping keeping smith or having TL i would keep smith he is not particularly great but he doesn't get injured and can have the odd good game when he can take a back seat for a bit during the match.

I think if smith goes and TL isn't coming back personally i would move Sam to 6 Williams to 7 and bring in a fullback as i think they would be easier to find than a quality 6 and i think Sam is still better at 6
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Nezza Faz wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Smith should stay.
So just a question and who'd be our place kicker if Smith goes ? Remember Josh is off as well. Not a simple replacement for Matty in that case, as we'd need to sign a new kicker as well, with all the complexities of his new position plus Salary Cap implications.
The kicker I can't answer NF, yours is a very valid point.
Sam Tomkins maybe?
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Signing Tommy fits the Wane master plan of having halves who can defend well, 3/4's who can do the hard yards in our own 20 and props who are battering rams in the opponents 30 to set up a spread play. I like to see free flowing rugby but I prefer to see Wigan winning regardless.
Tommy is a step up in my opinion. His hit on (I think it was) Fasavalu at Knowsley Road will live long in my memory. What a hit.