Referee for Friday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Referee for Friday

Post by josie andrews »

Ben Thaler got demoted to the championship for a lot less of a display in refereeing than that by James Childs on Friday evening.

Think the "more experienced" referees need to spend some time going "back to basics" & learning off the young new referees who, IMO, are doing a lot better job ????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

There is a referee assessor sitting in the stands wonder what report he will give. Now refs are full time EVERY match is reviewed as part of their work ethic and to show were faults are made. Childs has not heard the last of this IMHO.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Let's hope his poor performance helps SOL with his ban!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
markill

Post by markill »

Child's biggest mistake was not getting control of what was going on after the tackle early on. That led to whatever Manfredi did, because the red want stepping in on what defenders were doing to stop him getting up quick.

I'm not actually sure he was wrong on any of our cards. Not sure what Manfredi did as not seen a replay. Josh did pull Hall back, even though I think Hall made a lot of it and wasn't certain to score. Lockers caught the guy square on the head with a solid hit - mitigation at the disciplinary might be that the contract was high on the player but the arm wasn't that high as player dipping , and also it was more a grab than reckless swinging arm.

Obviously Child missed a few things but the only two big things he missed were (1) the Moore pull back on Smith that should've been a sin bin, but he penalised someone else for offside instead, and (2) Tautai tackled and looked to twist the standing leg of either Fifita or Walton, not sure which, and that was a bad one I thought.

Other than that the odd mistake is acceptable as these guys are humans so can't be perfect when that have so many decisions to make. What did get me though I'd that he never really controlled things. Not saying it caused all our cards, but it caused some of the atmosphere. Actually though, I think it added to the game. We looked more threatening than Wakey with a man less so it would've been less exciting I'm sure with 13 a side.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

If I'm not mistaken, as well as Ben Thaler, I'm sure Child was demoted to the championship earlier in the season for his poor refereeing standard. I think the refs this year have become complacent and thankfully the rfl have brought in some new young blood to keep them on their toes. I've just read an interesting fact about Mr Childs. He happens to come from Wakefield . Read into that what you want.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Yes born in wakey. Would suggest all them losses are down to a poor Wakey team!
I always say don't blame officials for your own teams incompetence, be it whatever sport, and in this instance I rest my case. :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I remember a few years ago when James Child got thousands of abusive messages on Twitter. Unfortunately, that James Child was just an ordinary guy living in a small town in America's mid west.
Luckily, he chose to find it amusing!
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Now I have seen the review of Lockers' tackle on Skysports news. And I have to say it looks like a red to me.
The poor control of the game earlier and the differential standards on other aspects of refereeing might have caused frustration, but we still can't have head tackles. Had it been a Wakey player on one of ours we would have been calling for a red.

So I stand corrected on that one, but not the rest of the performance of Childs. Very poor and one sided. Not good enough.
Stevethegas
OJ

Post by OJ »

Apart from when the winning try went over the biggest cheer of the night was when he fell on his backside :D still can't believe we did it but over the moon that we did. The one thing I couldn't get out of my head last night was the fact that some Wakefield fans said they weren't going to come over for last night's match because Child was so blatantly biased towards us!
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

BriH

Post by BriH »

Up to the Club to complain formally about this child.