Young Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Young Players

Post by cpwigan »

LooseHead wrote:Kyle Shelford will make it. Over the past 5 years he has been the stand out prospect and captain at every age group.
I like him but where for Wigam? As a junior he played a lot at stand off but he is not a pro stand off. LF or hooker maybe.? Not big enough for the second row.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:
LooseHead wrote:Kyle Shelford will make it. Over the past 5 years he has been the stand out prospect and captain at every age group.
I like him but where for Wigam? As a junior he played a lot at stand off but he is not a pro stand off. LF or hooker maybe.? Not big enough for the second row.
He won't make it at Wigan. I think that Wells and Shorrocks have the best chance of making it with Higginson having an outside chance.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

cpwigan wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:By my reckoning there has been eight debuts this season: Gregson, Shorrocks, Bretherton, Higginson, Waterworth, Shelford, Wells and Tierney. Which of these players will make the grade at Wigan?
This giving X debuts is farcical nonsense to then say Oh look how many youngsters we gave debuts/games too. Waterworth will be released when his contract ends. Higginson have some potential but I do not think he will get a sustained run and will be released. Shelford will be released. Tierney will eventually be released. Gregson has ability but he may struggle to get a sustained opportunity. Shorrocks potentially will get an opportunity if Hampshire leaves (mistake if he is moved on). Bretherton has the size and potential. He will be a first team squad member as FPN signing will see 2 more forwards leave alongside Burke to accomodate his wage. One next season, one the following. Wells is younger and has great potential so he may well get some opportunities. 2 or 3 if we are lucky. The majority of players will not make it at Wigan but they may well have very good RL careers. No reflection on Wigan, the players, just the harsh reality of pro sport.
If we need to release players then I hope that Mossop is on his way, I just don't see what he brings to the side.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Shorrockswill be kept particularly if/when Hampshire leaves but how much game time he will get, how much good it will do for his career is questionable.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:By my reckoning there has been eight debuts this season: Gregson, Shorrocks, Bretherton, Higginson, Waterworth, Shelford, Wells and Tierney. Which of these players will make the grade at Wigan?
This giving X debuts is farcical nonsense to then say Oh look how many youngsters we gave debuts/games too. Waterworth will be released when his contract ends. Higginson have some potential but I do not think he will get a sustained run and will be released. Shelford will be released. Tierney will eventually be released. Gregson has ability but he may struggle to get a sustained opportunity. Shorrocks potentially will get an opportunity if Hampshire leaves (mistake if he is moved on). Bretherton has the size and potential. He will be a first team squad member as FPN signing will see 2 more forwards leave alongside Burke to accomodate his wage. One next season, one the following. Wells is younger and has great potential so he may well get some opportunities. 2 or 3 if we are lucky. The majority of players will not make it at Wigan but they may well have very good RL careers. No reflection on Wigan, the players, just the harsh reality of pro sport.
If we need to release players then I hope that Mossop is on his way, I just don't see what he brings to the side.
I was just saying release as when contracts are up. I agree Mossop will go and should then somebody else will. Not a great believer in the obsession some fans have re size. Firmly believe it is the size of the fight not the size of the dog. Size does not suit how Wane wants Wigan to play too. A fans favourite but Clubb might be on the outer next season.
shaunedwardsfanclub

cpwigan wrote:
cpwigan wrote: This giving X debuts is farcical nonsense to then say Oh look how many youngsters we gave debuts/games too. Waterworth will be released when his contract ends. Higginson have some potential but I do not think he will get a sustained run and will be released. Shelford will be released. Tierney will eventually be released. Gregson has ability but he may struggle to get a sustained opportunity. Shorrocks potentially will get an opportunity if Hampshire leaves (mistake if he is moved on). Bretherton has the size and potential. He will be a first team squad member as FPN signing will see 2 more forwards leave alongside Burke to accomodate his wage. One next season, one the following. Wells is younger and has great potential so he may well get some opportunities. 2 or 3 if we are lucky. The majority of players will not make it at Wigan but they may well have very good RL careers. No reflection on Wigan, the players, just the harsh reality of pro sport.
I was just saying release as when contracts are up. I agree Mossop will go and should then somebody else will. Not a great believer in the obsession some fans have re size. Firmly believe it is the size of the fight not the size of the dog. Size does not suit how Wane wants Wigan to play too. A fans favourite but Clubb might be on the outer next season.
Paul Gallen being a prime example. Bateman and Faz are not the biggest but they would be in my team every week.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

cpwigan wrote:
No reflection on Wigan at all, more a recognition, I'd say, for all fans of opposing teams may bleat, of the good that the Wigan production-line does for the game. We are all the beneficiaries, even when some of those players go onto do well against us. Will it be Rocky Hampshire next week? I hope not, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cpwigan wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: If we need to release players then I hope that Mossop is on his way, I just don't see what he brings to the side.
Paul Gallen being a prime example. Bateman and Faz are not the biggest but they would be in my team every week.
The RFL may also try to speed the POTBs which suits faster more agile smaller players. Interchanges may continue to drop too.