Make People Proud

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Make People Proud

Post by DaveO »

Wigan Watcher wrote:I don't understand anyone who doesn't want to be entertained. This is our way of enjoyment, it is our time of pleasure to watch our team make us feel good and give us memories we embellish over the years to come. Without them there is no point of watching the game!
Quite right. Who didn't find Joel T's length of the field try in the CC final entertaining or going further back John Ferguson's tries in 1985? You remember finals like those.

Watching the regular rounds should not be purgatory for a side 3rd in the league.

Whatever happens between now and the GF they won't be selling many Seasons Highlights DVD's this Christmas. In fact they could probably fit them on an old fashioned 5 inch floppy disc!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

bill.inger wrote:If Waney, and to a lesser extent KFC are trying to play mind games with their respective supporters, they're both on a loser.
Neither of them are smart enough for a start to kid long standing fans and if they were, it wouldn't wash with the majority. Better leaving that psycho stuff to Ferguson and latterly, the chosen one.
All Wane has to do is put a team out that will entertain us with the standard of rugby we're used to, not 'yed down, thrutch and an aimless kick'.
Lately I'd rather watch Cass than Wigan, isn't that a terrible admission.
I look forward to Cas games more than wigans by far - win or lose they are always good entertainment[/b]
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

So would you rather watch us score length of the field tries but still lose, or grind out win after win and collect trophies!! Sport at this level is about winning not entertaining, if you want entertaining go to a circus!! Oh wait is Wigan RL not becoming one!!

Winning consistently would naturally bring entertainment, something that we don't do hence the lack of entertainment!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:So would you rather watch us score length of the field tries but still lose, or grind out win after win and collect trophies!! Sport at this level is about winning not entertaining, if you want entertaining go to a circus!! Oh wait is Wigan RL not becoming one!!

Winning consistently would naturally bring entertainment, something that we don't do hence the lack of entertainment!!
Sport is about both winning and entertaining. If the league was good enough you wouldn't be able to win without entertaining
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I kinda agree about Cas; at their best they play entertaining attacking rugby that is easy on the eye.

Yes, Id like to see Wigan play more like that. But would I happily swap league positions with them? That is a tougher question.
WiganPom

Post by WiganPom »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:.In the past all the coaches have worked hard to make Wigan great some have failed noble and millward two stand outs, but the biggest failure in my eyes is sw
That's a bit harsh on Noble in my opinion, he saved us from relegation and established us as play off candidates. He took as far as he could and should be regarded higher as he saved us from ruin.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

"Make people proud of us again".

What does Shaun think has stopped making us proud of the players or the club?
They more than any team in the past give their all for Wigan RL. Almost 100% from every man, every game.

What is disappointing is our form and inability to score tries. Our defence is superb.

What is obvious to all is that the problem is our inability to score more points. The lowest number for decades. If the answer is so obvious to us speccies then it will be far more obvious to those at the club.
Rectifying it does appear a massive problem.

I don't see that as a "Proud or "Not Proud Anymore" issue. at all.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

WiganPom wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:.In the past all the coaches have worked hard to make Wigan great some have failed noble and millward two stand outs, but the biggest failure in my eyes is sw
That's a bit harsh on Noble in my opinion, he saved us from relegation and established us as play off candidates. He took as far as he could and should be regarded higher as he saved us from ruin.
He did but he was given Dobson and Fielden to help so even Millward might have had a better shot if he had been also. After that year Noble started to shape the team his own way and it was apparent after one season to me he was not a good coach. He brought in players past their sell by dates and picked his first team out of position regardless. Younger players such as Goulding at the time carried the can for defeats virtually never to be seen again.

With the squad he had we should have won the GF and CC virtually every season. He managed to waste two years of Trent Barrett and it was him who threw Nobles useless game plan out of the window to get us that famous victory v Bradford virtually single handed.

The record books will show Noble saved us from relegation and Wane won the double. That isn't even half the story. Both Noble and SW failed to get the team to perform to its potential and in Noble's case his fans always cited he got us to semi-finals as if that was good enough. Not with the squad he had it wasn't and history is repeating itself with Wane.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:So would you rather watch us score length of the field tries but still lose, or grind out win after win and collect trophies!! Sport at this level is about winning not entertaining, if you want entertaining go to a circus!! Oh wait is Wigan RL not becoming one!!

Sport is about both winning and entertaining. If the league was good enough you wouldn't be able to win without entertaining
Sorry I disagree! At elite level, sport is about winning, if you can win and entertain at the same time great but you ask any elite level sportsperson what is their priority, it's winning not entertaining!!

Would you prefer winning games consistently with a low points average and 2-3 trophies a year or smashing teams regularly scoring loads of points with entertaining rugby but losing when it really matters and winning nothing? No brainer for me!!

I agree I want to be entertained but I want to win more!!

Ask Usain Bolt, does he want to win just the 100m whilst laughing across the line but lose the 200m or does he want to just win the 100m without smiling and win the 200m? Again no brainer, all about WINNING!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

Sorry I disagree! At elite level, sport is about winning, if you can win and entertain at the same time great but you ask any elite level sportsperson what is their priority, it's winning not entertaining!!

Would you prefer winning games consistently with a low points average and 2-3 trophies a year or smashing teams regularly scoring loads of points with entertaining rugby but losing when it really matters and winning nothing? No brainer for me!!

I agree I want to be entertained but I want to win more!!

Ask Usain Bolt, does he want to win just the 100m whilst laughing across the line but lose the 200m or does he want to just win the 100m without smiling and win the 200m? Again no brainer, all about WINNING!!
Your speaking from a players point of view whereas we are speaking as fans.