Golovkin. v. Brook

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
yokozuna

Re: Golovkin. v. Brook

Post by yokozuna »

SJ wrote:From what I've seen of G he has a good chin. I've always thought Kell doesn't know when to go for the k o Obviously I'd like him to win but this lad seems bionic Is it worth a bet on Kell what do you think. It would be good if TBW came on the forum. He's usually right
He's got an excellent chin, and a very good defence. Apparently, he's never been knocked down as an amateur or pro - that's something like 400 fights. From the fights I've seen of his, he doesn't get hit that much at all.

You could argue that Brook has more chance to win on points than by stoppage, but if he's traded in some of his speed for bulk and power then that might work against him. 5/1 is the best I've seen offered for Brook, but I wouldn't be too keen to put my hard-earned money on anything other than another Golovkin win. Not saying that Brook can't do it, but wouldn't say there's too much value in those odds. at 10/1 I might be interested in a small punt, but that's all it'd be.

I've seen some fighters 'last' against Golovkin, but they haven't really troubled him during those fights. Golovkin hits hard, very hard, and can also box off his jab. It'll be interesting to see what Brook's tactics are, and if he's able to employ them with any success. He's not going to be able to tie up Golovkin like he did against Porter, as Golovkin is too crafty, too skilled and a lot stronger.

Really looking forward to the fight though, and hope that Brook can put in a good performance on the night.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Warrior1872 wrote:I dont like to say this but Brook shouldnt go in with GGG as he could end up getting badly injured and im talking career ending this guy has sledgehammers for fists
Way way way over the top in my opinion!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I dont think its as big a leap as some may think, i think brook naturally is a lot heavier than he currently was fighting and it will be interesting to see what he is like at this weight and whether his power increases.

Normally fighters who move up dont do well and for good reason but there are exceptions to that rule and there are fighters who've increased abilities as they became drained at the weight they were fighting at.

Brooks a tough kid, now by no means am i saying he is favorite but i dont think hes as out his depth as people are making out

GGG hasnt got a massively impressive wrap sheet in terms of opponents in fact theres only really Lemieux who was a top 5 ranked fighter. Now again brooks isnt exactly glowing either in that sense.

I still think GGG will win but im not so sure its as steep a hill as people think. Khan was running rings around Canneo until he was caught and he has no chin - brook is a warrior
Absolutely spot on, just to add Martin Murray lasted 11 rounds with GGG, now Murray is a real tough kid, is Brook as tough who knows? But one thing is for sure Brook is a far better fighter than Murray.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I dont think its as big a leap as some may think, i think brook naturally is a lot heavier than he currently was fighting and it will be interesting to see what he is like at this weight and whether his power increases.

Normally fighters who move up dont do well and for good reason but there are exceptions to that rule and there are fighters who've increased abilities as they became drained at the weight they were fighting at.

Brooks a tough kid, now by no means am i saying he is favorite but i dont think hes as out his depth as people are making out

GGG hasnt got a massively impressive wrap sheet in terms of opponents in fact theres only really Lemieux who was a top 5 ranked fighter. Now again brooks isnt exactly glowing either in that sense.

I still think GGG will win but im not so sure its as steep a hill as people think. Khan was running rings around Canneo until he was caught and he has no chin - brook is a warrior
Absolutely spot on, just to add Martin Murray lasted 11 rounds with GGG, now Murray is a real tough kid, is Brook as tough who knows? But one thing is for sure Brook is a far better fighter than Murray.
Murray did well to last 11 rounds, but that's all he did - he lasted, he survived. He was never in the fight, and every round was Golovkin's, some being 10-8 rounds through the knock-downs.

I agree Brook is better fighter than Murray, and could well be just as tough. But he's going to have to be just to give Golovkin a fight. To actually beat Golovkin, well - that's another step up from that.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Warrior1872

Post by Warrior1872 »

Better dont always me tougher look at Amir Khan fantastic boxer no chin,also i never said it would happen that is what i fear could happen you need to read the post again it what i fear its happened numerous times in just the recent years this guy has amazing power Brook will have to run for 12 rounds without getting caught
TrueBlueWarrior

Warrior1872 wrote:Better dont always me tougher look at Amir Khan fantastic boxer no chin,also i never said it would happen that is what i fear could happen you need to read the post again it what i fear its happened numerous times in just the recent years this guy has amazing power Brook will have to run for 12 rounds without getting caught
You clearly said he shouldn't go in with him, why? You clearly said it could end his career? When has this happened to boxers GGG has fought in recent years?
TrueBlueWarrior

yokozuna wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

Murray did well to last 11 rounds, but that's all he did - he lasted, he survived. He was never in the fight, and every round was Golovkin's, some being 10-8 rounds through the knock-downs.

I agree Brook is better fighter than Murray, and could well be just as tough. But he's going to have to be just to give Golovkin a fight. To actually beat Golovkin, well - that's another step up from that.
However way you look at it Murray lasted 11 rounds, so either Murray is better than we thought or at least tougher than we thought or GGG doesn't hit as hard as some make out!! Either way if Murray can last, survive or run for 11 rounds then Brook can at least match that or better it and probably isn't in danger of having his career ended!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It was interesting listening to macklin speak about ggg saying it wasn't necessarily the power off ggg's punches that was the issue but that he hit from very awkward angles he hits you from that's the issue.

I think if brook is to win it will be points and he will have to concentrate for all 3 minutes of all 12 rounds.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
yokozuna wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Absolutely spot on, just to add Martin Murray lasted 11 rounds with GGG, now Murray is a real tough kid, is Brook as tough who knows? But one thing is for sure Brook is a far better fighter than Murray.

However way you look at it Murray lasted 11 rounds, so either Murray is better than we thought or at least tougher than we thought or GGG doesn't hit as hard as some make out!! Either way if Murray can last, survive or run for 11 rounds then Brook can at least match that or better it and probably isn't in danger of having his career ended!!
He won't have his career ended, but if Brook tries to fight fire with fire, rather than looking to stay in there for the duration, then it could be a very exciting - and short - fight.

Golovkin obviously does hit hard, he's stopped so many of his opponents, and Murray did well to last 11 rounds, but he was floored quite a few times on the way to being stopped.

Brook does appear to be a bit of a warrior though, and he won't go without a fight. He can punch, so always has a chance. I'd give him a 10-15% chance at most though.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Two fighting weights increase is a massive ask.
Brook has a good chin at his natural weight,but never tested to the power of a top fighter naturally two weights stronger.
Golovkin is a really powerful puncher at his natural weight.
It may not end as a stoppage to the chin or head area, as Golovkin is a strong body puncher.
I think it will be an early round stoppage to Golovkin.