O’Loughlin has ‘remote chance’ of playing in Grand Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: O’Loughlin has ‘remote chance’ of playing in Grand Final

Post by cpwigan »

Not a chance and stick with the players who got us there.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:Not a chance and stick with the players who got us there.
He certainly "has a chance"
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Flower coming back makes him even less of a chance and Shorrock covers more shortage positions, IIRC did we not beat Wire when they could not cover positions with their interchange.
No straw damn us

cpwigan wrote:Flower coming back makes him even less of a chance and Shorrock covers more shortage positions, IIRC did we not beat Wire when they could not cover positions with their interchange.
O'Loughlin has played at #6,#9,prop, and loose forward so surely he covers more positions, plus his experience is invaluable. As I said if we can guarantee 20 minutes from him, then he'd play for me. I like Jake but we really struggled on Friday defensively when he was on. Wane trusts O'Loughlin and I'm sure Lockers will make the best decision for the teams sake, not his-self.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The outside backs have no coverage if Shorrock is not in the 17. We already have players on the bench who can cover the same positions as Lockers BUT collectively they cover more than if Lockers was in the 17 unless he replaces a front rower which will not happen. Love Lockers but the GF is a no no IMO.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Cant believe im gona say NO,Lockers shouldn't play.Thers a few reasons.That said,If we are a few points down.Not playing well with 20mins to go.Would he make an impact. :conf:

4G
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I thought I saw Bateman playing centre for England?
No straw damn us

cpwigan wrote:The outside backs have no coverage if Shorrock is not in the 17. We already have players on the bench who can cover the same positions as Lockers BUT collectively they cover more than if Lockers was in the 17 unless he replaces a front rower which will not happen. Love Lockers but the GF is a no no IMO.
Gildart has played at #6, #2 and #1. Bateman has played centre, Isa has played centre. Gelling has played wing and second row. I'd take the risk with Lockers if HE thinks he can come through.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

IMO one of the big improvements this season has been the crazy 'bastardisation' of forward into backs. Sure, they can pop in there. IMO Andy Goodway was a great centre substitute but it is short term thinking and detrimental to player and club.

Bateman is a forward and the centre spot is one he can cover defensively but there is a big miss attacking wise. If you convert somebody then they must remain converted. I do not think Joel T has been the sam since being moved to the centre and then attempting to revert that change by moving him back to the forwards,

Ellery Hanley proves it. Halfback, centre, even oddly once a winger but he moved to LF and remained there for the duration.

Lockers IMO is the most complete player in Britain but yes he can switch but the moment he plays 6 you lose a great deal.

Gelling size wise could play back row but he is a centre and nowhere near a backrower.

WORSE, we say what happened when Wire screwed up their interchange v ourselves in a GF. Flower deserved to returmn but he is not match fit and yet people want to risk Lockers who truth be told might breakdown in the warm up. People want that risk in a GF? Crazy.

I find it insulting to the players who got to the GF. I am sick of hearing fans cry about injuries. The players we have earned the GF, deserve the GF. There is no magical 100% assumption that the injured group would do as well. Players have slogged their guts out, earned the right. They are not makeshift, lesser than the stand boys. On merit and I hope they win the GF and get their just deserts.
No straw damn us

If Lockers breaks down in the warm up we will be allowed to bring in another player as happened v Catalan. There is plenty cover in all positions IF Lockers puts his hand up to play. He'll only do it if he believes he can get through the game, he won't do it for himself but for the good of the team. I'm a believer in picking the best team available and that would include Lockers and Flower if they are ready to play. No sentiment, pure hard headed logic.