Shaun Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Shaun Wane

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Waney despite all that has been said and done has coached his team to a GF win. That cannot be underestimated!
Next season is a different year.
There are players leaving and players joining the club including Tommy L. He will be playing but also coaching. It is anticipated he will continue coaching at Wigan when his playing days are over.
I have said on here that our play has been boring and that Waney needed assistance from an attacking coach. Being a half back I'd suspect that TL is that attacking coach.
Many on here have said they wouldn't renew their season ticket. I'd ask them to think again and renew.
What is obvious to me, right or wrong, is that the Widnes defeat was a watershed moment for all at the club. That was so unbearably awful that it had to bring a positive reaction and it did in the most superb way.
The two wins over Hull and the victory at Wire were well deserved.
The Grand Final win epitomised the desire and will to win within the squad.
Looking on some of the other clubs' fans sites they are in no doubt that Shaun Wane can motivate his players like no other coach in SL. That motivation plus TL's coaching will improve the rugby we will see considerably.
I'll be renewing my season ticket as I always would have.
I do urge all the previous doubters to renew theirs.
Those players who won on Saturday I think deserve it.
The rugby we will see next season will be well worth the waiting for.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Waney despite all that has been said and done has coached his team to a GF win. That cannot be underestimated!
Next season is a different year.
There are players leaving and players joining the club including Tommy L. He will be playing but also coaching. It is anticipated he will continue coaching at Wigan when his playing days are over.
I have said on here that our play has been boring and that Waney needed assistance from an attacking coach. Being a half back I'd suspect that TL is that attacking coach.
Many on here have said they wouldn't renew their season ticket. I'd ask them to think again and renew.
What is obvious to me, right or wrong, is that the Widnes defeat was a watershed moment for all at the club. That was so unbearably awful that it had to bring a positive reaction and it did in the most superb way.
The two wins over Hull and the victory at Wire were well deserved.
The Grand Final win epitomised the desire and will to win within the squad.
Looking on some of the other clubs' fans sites they are in no doubt that Shaun Wane can motivate his players like no other coach in SL. That motivation plus TL's coaching will improve the rugby we will see considerably.
I'll be renewing my season ticket as I always would have.
I do urge all the previous doubters to renew theirs.
Those players who won on Saturday I think deserve it.
The rugby we will see next season will be well worth the waiting for.
So will I Ted!
Cherry'n'White is in my blood
Ancient'n'Loyal until I Die
????????⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I hope CPW is right and the club agrees the boring play leading up to the last few weeks is an issue that needs addressing.

There is no doubt there is ample spirit in the side and that manifests itself best in the defence. The stats on that speak for themselves.

That said, the club (and the game as a whole) has to acknowledge that turning up for the last few weeks is not good enough when you expect fans to travel even short distances to attend 30 "preliminary" rounds. It should not have taken that dire game against Widnes to turn things around. There were unfortunately quite a few other games not far off that that should have been motivation to do so.

The injuries didn't help but we played some of the best RL with depleted sides anyway so that doesn't wash.

Is TL the answer as player/coach? That is putting a lot of burden on him before he gets here so I am not sure it is.

Winning the GF has probably guaranteed a lot more season ticket renewals than had we lost but if the route to retaining the trophy next year is the same as this, as in all defence and no attack, then I don't think people will wear it even if we win again.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

GBH wrote:Funny I wouldn't buy I season ticket again if I was told that is what im going to watch all year to then play well in a few at the end no thanks!
Don't then! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jobo

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote:I hope CPW is right and the club agrees the boring play leading up to the last few weeks is an issue that needs addressing.

There is no doubt there is ample spirit in the side and that manifests itself best in the defence. The stats on that speak for themselves.

That said, the club (and the game as a whole) has to acknowledge that turning up for the last few weeks is not good enough when you expect fans to travel even short distances to attend 30 "preliminary" rounds. It should not have taken that dire game against Widnes to turn things around. There were unfortunately quite a few other games not far off that that should have been motivation to do so.

The injuries didn't help but we played some of the best RL with depleted sides anyway so that doesn't wash.

Is TL the answer as player/coach? That is putting a lot of burden on him before he gets here so I am not sure it is.

Winning the GF has probably guaranteed a lot more season ticket renewals than had we lost but if the route to retaining the trophy next year is the same as this, as in all defence and no attack, then I don't think people will wear it even if we win again.
Lots of the time we had a whole load of the team carrying injuries and playing with those injuries. I'm told at one stage, 17 of the 19 man squad were crocked but still turned out.

This was bound to have a huge impact on the quality of rugby on display.

To dismiss this as "not washing" is just plain daft.

Imo, it's down to the lack of an A team structure, rather than a flaw within the club.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote:
DaveO wrote:I hope CPW is right and the club agrees the boring play leading up to the last few weeks is an issue that needs addressing.

Lots of the time we had a whole load of the team carrying injuries and playing with those injuries. I'm told at one stage, 17 of the 19 man squad were crocked but still turned out.

Imo, it's down to the lack of an A team structure, rather than a flaw within the club.

Come off it. We didn't have 17 to 19 players unfit for all 30 games and we did play some of the best attacking RL played all season minus several key players and some of the worst with more first team players in the side. Those facts alone are enough to say there really was no excuse for naff attack served up for 90% of the games this season. We even won the GF by scoring a mere 12 points.

Another season repeating this will IMO see gates plummet as the 2017 season progresses despite being champions.
TrueBlueWarrior

DaveO wrote:
jobo wrote:

Come off it. We didn't have 17 to 19 players unfit for all 30 games and we did play some of the best attacking RL played all season minus several key players and some of the worst with more first team players in the side. Those facts alone are enough to say there really was no excuse for naff attack served up for 90% of the games this season. We even won the GF by scoring a mere 12 points.

Another season repeating this will IMO see gates plummet as the 2017 season progresses despite being champions.
I would have took a 1-0 win!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
GBH

Post by GBH »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
GBH wrote:Funny I wouldn't buy I season ticket again if I was told that is what im going to watch all year to then play well in a few at the end no thanks!
Read what I put properly! I said "if I was told that is what im going to watch all year to then play well in a few at the end no thanks!"
Havent has a memo from the club saying we will be playing boring rugby all year then turn it on again for the end. so we will be renewing.
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I'm going to renew we had decided that long time back.

But I can't help but feel the sport has problems it needs to face up to,at best crowds are stable but simply aren't growing,we have a wonderful game but is it marketed the right way,

is it being promoted in areas such as Cumbria correctly,I certainly don't think so,

also leave the magic weekend in Newcastle it's a great day out,you feel as though you've made the effort to go somewhere special it's my one gripe with the grand final is that it's just a trip to Manchester rather than say London,yes I know I'm odd but I do like the trip.

Turning to Wigan I'll say this the outcry after the abysmal game against Widnes in my view had to happen if indeed the club has indeed listened and things head they way they are then all is good,what they can't do is turn back,the lid is off now and for me there's no going back.

I think the world of Tommy but people are expecting far too much of him,let's see if his form holds and ease himself back into things the plain truth is no player who has returned has been the same as the when they left,I urge caution with him and give him the time he will need,his coaching will be welcome.

The sport is in the entertainment business and it really needs to remember that,it was refreshing to hear IL saying he didn't think the attack was good enough,that's what I want to hear honesty and as ever with Lenegan you tend to get it.

I still don't know how Wigan won Saturday I don't know and to some extent it hid the issues of earlier in the season but also for me has opened the door to a bright future if the coaching staff and players are brave enough to follow it I hope they do.
TrueBlueWarrior

GBH wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Read what I put properly! I said "if I was told that is what im going to watch all year to then play well in a few at the end no thanks!"
Havent has a memo from the club saying we will be playing boring rugby all year then turn it on again for the end. so we will be renewing.
Exactly my point, it's a ridiculous thing to say because it is impossible for it to happen!! You just have to either buy one or don't and hope for the best!!