Marshall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fan4Fifty

Re: Marshall

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Sorry - not sure how to reproduce extracts from earlier postings but re: the comments below, I'm pretty sure it was Sam Powell who kicked out on the full in the first set of the second half, but agree that it was an awful error that then saw us defending our own line for most of the next 10 minutes. And yes, we had the game under control for the first 10/11 minutes until the change of momentum and 2 tries that resulted from Farrell's ptb penalty. Very costly schoolboy errors.

1 Farrell easiest thing to do is play the ball not rocket science gives penalty they score.Tomkins no pressure at all ball out on full. Then our glorious leader Mr penalty machine.That's 3 and not even. Started[/quote]
joeb

Post by joeb »

If your looking to blame someone looking further than Liam school boy error and if anybody needs dropping for Friday start with Tommy
markill

Post by markill »

Saturday wasn't his worst game, I thought he made bigger blunders at Saints and Huddersfield. He'll be against Regan Grace, rather than Fetuli Talanoa. I think he'll be ok.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Fantastic debut season from a young lad who will only get better.Impossible to keep Talona from scoring that try once he has a run up unless it's a crap kick and unfortunately for us Sneyds kicking is brilliant.If we had Sneyd we would have bogged it but our kicking game is shocking.Priority next season is a half back that can kick.
BriH

Post by BriH »

yonmon wrote:Fantastic debut season from a young lad who will only get better.Impossible to keep Talona from scoring that try once he has a run up unless it's a crap kick and unfortunately for us Sneyds kicking is brilliant.If we had Sneyd we would have bogged it but our kicking game is shocking.Priority next season is a half back that can kick.
Well said!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

AS soon as I realised that Liam was playing instead of Tom I feared the worst because we all knew what Hull's tactics would be but overall Liam did well. I think we only conceded one try on his wing and he was under a huge amount of pressure for a third/fourth choice winger in his first full season. He knows what he needs to work on and I'm sure he'll do so. I did notice that later in the game Gells (our tallest player?) was moved to the wing to defend the high kicks and wonder why we didn't do that from the start. Of more interest to me for next year is how we best use our four wingers (if all fit). I think that we should be trying to convert either Tom or Liam to a back up fullback (to Morgan?) so that we can play Sam at 6 or 7.

If we lose on Friday we have a couple of 'meaningless' games that could be used to try out some changes in preparation for next year including back up fullbacks and a replacement for Sean, something we seem no closer to now than we were three seasons ago. Any thoughts anybody?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

It's not Marshalls fault, but he is always going to be at a disadvantage in the current meta. Heck even Jason Robinson would struggle in todays game (though his brilliance in other areas would see him picked).

The reality is that thesedays wingers need to be able to diffuse bombs.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wiganer Ted wrote:The lad is fourth choice winger and 2nd highest try scorer in SL.
He made mistakes yes but why wasn't Sneyd's kicking towards him covered in training and practice sessions. Where was his cover?
What we will never know is how Davies would have fared under the same pressure.

He's nothing like Ainscough and most clubs in the League would be after him if we were to release him.
Later, they moved Gelling outside him when defending. Why not do that from the off? Why wait until we conceded? Watching it back on TV when I got home, I must say, I blame Marshall less and less. As noted, not too many could have defended that; perfectly placed kick and tall powerful winger.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Marshall has plenty going for him but his size means he will always be a bomb target. He actually reminds me a lot of escare who also suffered from bombs when on the wing for catalan.

He's a good player though, he seems to have struggled more since switching sides but a great prospect
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Marshall has plenty going for him but his size means he will always be a bomb target. He actually reminds me a lot of escare who also suffered from bombs when on the wing for catalan.

He's a good player though, he seems to have struggled more since switching sides but a great prospect
Is he though as a winger?

Maybe the requirements for that position are changing.

Maybe we are seeing a reinvention of the position where height will be as important as pace for a wingman?