Where's WNAC gone?? RELEGATION here you come!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Where's WNAC gone?? RE...

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:
Id just like people to see that the premature calling for Betts to leave was pathetic, it wasn't his fault at all.
If you can't see that Millward has tried things Betts would never have dreamed of in his short time here you must be blind.

The tactic of playing Moran at full backon defence and scrum half in attack for example. Betts owuld never have dreamt of that in a million years IMO. Betts was cleary clueless and had not idea as to how to try and imporve the situation. We'd probably still have donkey McDonald and no Botham as well.

Itis true Millward can only work with whathe has got just the same way Betts could but there is already plenty of evidence Millward is trying to get the best out of what he has got far more than Betts was who played the same tactics week in week out.

I think it was unquestionably the right thing to do to get Millward in the hot seat given the way Betts was starting to look uttery clueless as to what to try next.

Dave
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Oh no I completely agree that Betts had to step down but I didnt agree with people saying sack him, neither do I agree with those that said he would turn us around this season. It'll be a miracle if anyone could do that with the team from this year, good luck to him though. Obviously I wish him and us all the best.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I don't object to Millward, as such, except to say that trying new things is all very well if they work; when they just confuse an inexperienced side they become counter-productive. As we saw last night.
It's bad enough when we can't field anything close to the same squad two weeks running, but to then expect them to cope with switching positions throughout the game just seems to make it worse. He could do it, and did, successfully at Saints, because he was working with experienced players who knew each others' play.

The point I was originally making is that people were blaming Betts, and calling for him to go, before Millward was available, and not putting forward any serious candidates to replace him. Results under Millward have actually been worse than with Betts, and would be no different with any other coach.
I do hope Millward is now given the length of contract that he was promised, but given the clubs' history of sacking one coach per year, I'm not confident.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
The point I was originally making is that people were blaming Betts, and calling for him to go, before Millward was available, and not putting forward any serious candidates to replace him.
There were several names mentioned at the time such as Chris Anderson who contract in South Wales was up so I don't think alternatives were not being suggested.
Results under Millward have actually been worse than with Betts, and would be no different with any other coach.
I can't really believe you mean the above as a serious point.
I do hope Millward is now given the length of contract that he was promised, but given the clubs' history of sacking one coach per year, I'm not confident.
So do I and I think he will.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

GeoffN posted:
I don't object to Millward, as such, except to say that trying new things is all very well if they work; when they just confuse an inexperienced side they become counter-productive. As we saw last night.
It's bad enough when we can't field anything close to the same squad two weeks running, but to then expect them to cope with switching positions throughout the game just seems to make it worse. He could do it, and did, successfully at Saints, because he was working with experienced players who knew each others' play.

The point I was originally making is that people were blaming Betts, and calling for him to go, before Millward was available, and not putting forward any serious candidates to replace him. Results under Millward have actually been worse than with Betts, and would be no different with any other coach.

:) history proves coaches get an average 18 monhts :eh:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

this season can't end quick enough for me. i would not be suprised if wigan lose by another 70 to someone before the end of the season. the players have lost all confidence and i can't see where our next win will come. even leigh didn't lose by 70 at leeds.wigan have to be gratefull the teams above us are doing the business and keeping us mid table. i will always support wigan no matter what division they are in. but it would be nice to carry on watching them in super league. :(
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mike binder posted:
Millward is the 10th coach in 11 years.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

GeoffN posted:
mike binder posted:
Millward is the 10th coach in 11 years.
and before that???
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
If you can't see that Millward has tried things Betts would never have dreamed of in his short time here you must be blind.

The tactic of playing Moran at full backon defence and scrum half in attack for example. Betts owuld never have dreamt of that in a million years IMO. Betts was cleary clueless and had not idea as to how to try and imporve the situation. We'd probably still have donkey McDonald and no Botham as well.
Maybe so, but what difference has it made? McDonald was playing as well as our props did yesterday, better than Seuseu infact because he'll be suspended next week! Betts was trying to improve the situation by persistance, getting the basics sorted, we were poor yes, but since Millward has come in we've lost more games.
It is true Millward can only work with what he has got just the same way Betts could but there is already plenty of evidence Millward is trying to get the best out of what he has got far more than Betts was who played the same tactics week in week out.
When? In the one game we won under his control? Has Millward not made more positional changes than Betts made? Could switching and swapping positions on a match by match basis cause unrest?
I think it was unquestionably the right thing to do to get Millward in the hot seat given the way Betts was starting to look uttery clueless as to what to try next.
I'm not saying that Millward shouldn't be in the job and Betts his assistant but the way Betts inexperience was being blamed is now proving to be incorrect.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

i think the point they are making is if we have to play inexperienced players at least have a coach with experience. dennis hasnt got that yet and in time he will learn it from millward.dennis did his best and no one can say otherwise. but millward has a proven track record and it was a step in the right direction.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart