Why did they let Farrell go ????

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Why did they let Farre...

Post by mrs_carney »

If faz wants to help, he can help o'loughlin become a true leader. There's nothing he can do for the team now. People should realise faz is a wigan legend, past tense and move on to the future and not dwell on what could have been.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JJwilliams posted:
I agree with you i don't think having Faz in our squad at the moment would make that much of a difference.
You have got to be joking?

Not make much difference? There isn't a leader in the entire squad. Like I said in my other post we haven't had a recognised 13 since Lockers got injured and if you don't think having farrell in the squad at 13 would make a considerable difference to our play you have a very short memory of his skill, size, power and leadership.

Maurice Lindsay has been quoted today saying that the problem we have is down to injuries.

It is down to injuries AND down to the fact he let the best player in the team leave.

All this "he wanted to leave so we had no choice" stuff is complete nonsense IMO.

He was a contracted player and had he had his request for an early release from his contract turned down, he should have been professional enough to get on with it. Given Farrell's attritude to the game I am sure he would have as well.

Dave
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

I agree DaveO, for most players I would say there is no point in them being there if their heart wasn't in it, but for Faz, how can you say that? He's given his all for the club for the last 14 years or whatever and he would have carried on in the same fashion had ML told him he was to see out the remainder of his contract.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

not best player in team faz was officially named best player in the world last season.Dont tell me he would not of made a diffrence,just is presence on the field would make other teams yhink twice about wat there doing.ANYONE WHO THINKS HE WOULDT MAKE A DIFFRENCE DOSNT KNOW WAT THERE TALKING ABOUT.But he his now history reminde me of when hanley went,how are we going to replace him,we did and we will replace faz(oloughlin)but not till next year,we will turn the corner and basil is the man to do it,with betts by his side learning for the bright future,yes we had a bad result but hand on heart who didnt expect it :doz:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
Joanne2809 posted:
I still find myself asking the question....why did they let Andrew Farrell leave Wigan RL ???????? I know we cannot blame our poor form on One player, Farrell !!!! But it all fell apart after he left, injuries and seriously BAD defeats !!!!!!!!! Biggest mistake EVER to release him from Wigan RL !!!!!!!! I bet Andrew is now feeling rather crap, as I know he will still feel some loyalty to his old team !!! Thanks again Mo, good decision...NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I said the same thing at the time it happened but had plenty of people on my back saying things like if you got the chance of a better job you would leave and that due to his loyalty over 14 years the club could not stand in his way etc.

Well I for one knew how important he was to the club and so is Radlinski. These two are are/were our best players by a long way and we let Farrell slip away very easily.

I said at the time we needed him to see the season out and since he left and Lockers got injured we have not had a recognised 13 of SL standard available to us. Having no 13 of good enough standard, such a pivotal position, is a major reason why we are so bad IMO.

In Farrell and Radlinski you have two of the most commited players who always give 100% in every game. I can't ever recall thinking that either of them were not giving their all.

If the club makes the same mistake over Radlinski they are asking to be relegated IMO.

Dave
DaveO on this we are in total agreement. If Faz cared anything for the team hed have stayed on until Sept. He knew injuries were mounting and that Davico had gone. Yet he still went. He still could have played over 5-6 games before going as was he not fit before the Wolves match at Warrington.

I would deem myself to be a thief if i took money from an employer and did not make 1 i ota of work. Yet he did this for months. He should have been sacked. So we could get a decent replacement in on the Cap especially when Loughlin got injured. That was Easter and he was still there in June when fit.

It really sounds to me that he was desperate not to play for us again.

So on to contracts.

You sign a contract a player excpects a club to honor ot should the player himself not do the same. Then again some players are bigger than the team and that is what has happened here.

If he wanted to go to union why the did he not go Oct last year.

If he wanted a new challenge why did he not say Oct last year.

Contracts are a 2 way thing but in all sports today they are not worth the paper there written on.

Something is going on at the club we don not know about. There is more here than him wanting to go to union.
mickh

Post by mickh »

thegimble posted:
DaveO posted:
Joanne2809 posted:
I still find myself asking the question....why did they let Andrew Farrell leave Wigan RL ???????? I know we cannot blame our poor form on One player, Farrell !!!! But it all fell apart after he left, injuries and seriously BAD defeats !!!!!!!!! Biggest mistake EVER to release him from Wigan RL !!!!!!!! I bet Andrew is now feeling rather crap, as I know he will still feel some loyalty to his old team !!! Thanks again Mo, good decision...NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I said the same thing at the time it happened but had plenty of people on my back saying things like if you got the chance of a better job you would leave and that due to his loyalty over 14 years the club could not stand in his way etc.

Well I for one knew how important he was to the club and so is Radlinski. These two are are/were our best players by a long way and we let Farrell slip away very easily.

I said at the time we needed him to see the season out and since he left and Lockers got injured we have not had a recognised 13 of SL standard available to us. Having no 13 of good enough standard, such a pivotal position, is a major reason why we are so bad IMO.

In Farrell and Radlinski you have two of the most commited players who always give 100% in every game. I can't ever recall thinking that either of them were not giving their all.

If the club makes the same mistake over Radlinski they are asking to be relegated IMO.

Dave
DaveO on this we are in total agreement. If Faz cared anything for the team hed have stayed on until Sept. He knew injuries were mounting and that Davico had gone. Yet he still went. He still could have played over 5-6 games before going as was he not fit before the Wolves match at Warrington.

I would deem myself to be a thief if i took money from an employer and did not make 1 i ota of work. Yet he did this for months. He should have been sacked. So we could get a decent replacement in on the Cap especially when Loughlin got injured. That was Easter and he was still there in June when fit.

So on to contracts.

You sign a contract a player excpects a club to honor ot should the player himself not do the same. Then again some players are bigger than the team and that is what has happened here.

Contracts are a 2 way thing but in all sports today they are not worth the paper there written on.

Something is going on at the club we don not know about. There is more here than him wanting to go to union.
gimbal, my sentiments entirly, there seems to be somethimg going on at the club. it seems to be running on a shoestring. Profits for the management?, it has been documented that the club is up for sale are they collecting up the family silver.
Joanne2809

Post by Joanne2809 »

I have from a good source that Andrew is STILL going to training sessions and is in the changing room before and after matches !!

I am well aware that Faz wanted to go, obviously as more money was being offered and I dont blame him, I just feel that he was still in contract and the board couldve made it harder for him to leave !! dont think it was the point that he WANTED to leave, I think he was given a offer he couldnt refuse and the BOARD at Wigan were allowing him to go. If it was made harder he wouldve still been with us !!!!

We cannot say that we would be in this position or not if he would still be with us, but he is such a strong leader and influence on the field that we would not be in such a bad position ?????

Maybe I am just a sad upset fan at the moment and looking for excuses, but I dont think we will ever get another player of Faz's callibre !!!!!!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Dave o posted;
since he left and Lockers got injured we have not had a recognised 13
Lockers played 6 and Faz 8 last term.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Joanne2809 posted:

We cannot say that we would be in this position or not if he would still be with us,
I think we can say that we would not be in this position. I reckon we would have beaten Hull at home for example had he been on the park.
Maybe I am just a sad upset fan at the moment and looking for excuses, but I dont think we will ever get another player of Faz's callibre !!!!!!
People seem quick to play down how good a player and captain he was for some reason.

Last season it was acknowledged with the awards he won and even Saints fans were admitting he deserved the accolades.

Maybe the seemingly short memories of his skills som epeople have are a defence mechanism not wanting to admit what a loss he is.

What I can't understand is that Maurice Lindsay seemingly didn't ever try and persude him to stay let alone block his move by holding him to his contract.

Dave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

thegimble posted:
DaveO posted:
Joanne2809 posted:

Dave

So on to contracts.

Agree with both posts.
Rads is the same , he has probably played his last game in a Wigan shirt.