Wane Leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wane Leaving

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Interesting - Wane is currently id say enjoying his best season in terms of fan approval having won over a lot of doubters.

Seems like there could be big changes at Wigan in 2019
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well I never saw that coming.

With the improved performances this season and some clubs not challenging as I expected they would (Leeds and Wire) I think our chances of success are higher than I predicted at the start of the season and I could not see IL sacking Wane when in a strong position but I never expected him to resign.

The press release sounds like he's NRL bound in some capacity because a move to any other SL club is not going to be doing that.

Wherever he goes he has made the right decision. Had he stuck at Wigan until he was sacked (the inevitable fate of those who do not jump first as Wane has done) I think he would have been too strongly associated with Wigan to interest another top club. A bit like his mate Cunningham. At best he would have gone on to be John Kear MkII I think, steadily working his way downwards. At worst he might have followed G West into driving taxis!

As it is he has made a positive move (assuming it is the NRL where he is off to) and I hope it is for positive reasons, not because he's got fed up of what is going on with player recruitment and retention or any other issue with how IL is running the club.

It's well timed as well. If we do lose Bateman, Sutton, Lockers can't carry on much etc then next season could be a tough one and so maybe he's seen the writing on the wall.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think this works well for the club and for Shaun, as he gets to leave on his own terms, after what looks like a really enjoyable final season in charge.
We need NRL input - they are so far ahead of us off the pitch it is ridiculous.
As for the team the new man will inherit, someone joining from the NRL would be very well placed to bring some top talent with him.
Wane deserves to bow out in style, and everything I have seen this year suggests he will do so. Am guessing our games against Saints this year will have even more spice.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Has the England job been sorted out with Bennett?, cant remember what they said on that one - i think Wane would be very good for England because i think his ability to motivate is one of his strongest features as a coach.

I just cant seem him getting a top seat in an NRL team but he must have something in the pipeline i dont think he would of taken the decision lightly
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Has the England job been sorted out with Bennett?, cant remember what they said on that one - i think Wane would be very good for England because i think his ability to motivate is one of his strongest features as a coach.

I just cant seem him getting a top seat in an NRL team but he must have something in the pipeline i dont think he would of taken the decision lightly
Waney met with Sinfield a couple of weeks ago ????
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Must admit I just can’t see Wane walking from the sport surely he has something lined up?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:Well I never saw that coming.

With the improved performances this season and some clubs not challenging as I expected they would (Leeds and Wire) I think our chances of success are higher than I predicted at the start of the season and I could not see IL sacking Wane when in a strong position but I never expected him to resign.

The press release sounds like he's NRL bound in some capacity because a move to any other SL club is not going to be doing that.

Wherever he goes he has made the right decision. Had he stuck at Wigan until he was sacked (the inevitable fate of those who do not jump first as Wane has done) I think he would have been too strongly associated with Wigan to interest another top club. A bit like his mate Cunningham. At best he would have gone on to be John Kear MkII I think, steadily working his way downwards. At worst he might have followed G West into driving taxis!

As it is he has made a positive move (assuming it is the NRL where he is off to) and I hope it is for positive reasons, not because he's got fed up of what is going on with player recruitment and retention or any other issue with how IL is running the club.

It's well timed as well. If we do lose Bateman, Sutton, Lockers can't carry on much etc then next season could be a tough one and so maybe he's seen the writing on the wall.

It’ll be reet.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Perhaps Madge needs an assistant.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The timing is good for us, as it gives us plenty of time to prepare for 2019, with the new coach presumably having some say in next year's recruitment. A man with strong NRL connections could bring with him the play maker and centre we need...
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

some of the naysayers on here will be happy they got what they want.

however Wane has been brilliant for the likes of Bateman/Micky mac in turning their attitude around and we lose him just as we sign Hardaker?

i'm gutted with this news to be fair because despite how much he gets slated on here he has kept us in the mix every year, even in his worst year we still competed and we never ended up in a leeds situation despite constant churn in the team
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.